Scotland Bans Swords!

Old Aug 15th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland Bans Swords!

Listening to BBC last night i was rather startled to hear that the Scottish Parliament had just voted to ban the sales of swords - or at least regulate their sales so that the general public couldn't just walk in and buy one. I think restrictions on long knives were a part of this too but didn't quite catch that.
It rather seemed like something out of the Middle Ages as the BBC guy explained that there has been a spate of violence using long knifes and swords, including Samarai swords in western Scotland!
This has kind of shattered my view of western Scotland, where i thought life was tranquil and violence nil. Apparently 'gangs' there are using these weapons more and more.
Is western Scotland like the Old West in the US? Hard to believe!
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 09:53 AM

"Western Scotland" includes Glasgow, which like any large city (and particularly port cities) has its fair share of violent crime.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:51 AM

Hi PalQ, I read an article yesterday regarding this. The article said all nonkitchen knives along with all swords etc., would come under the new regulations. Something about stores that did sell these items would have to get a government (maybe from the local government?) permit and none of the items would be allowed to be displayed in shop windows. Rather surprised me also.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 11:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As an Edinburgh girl, I'll say this is definitely a Glasgow thing! There is no violence at all in Edinburgh. (LOL!)
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 11:55 AM

>>There is no violence at all in Edinburgh. <<

But there are plenty of Morningside ladies who can give you looks that could kill.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 12:03 PM

"It rather seemed like something out of the Middle Ages...."

I suspect you could say that about owning a sword in the first place.

Of course, for collectors this might pose a problem.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Brave Heart rides again!
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Or those that attend weddings in traditional garb, which, I believe, should include a sword, or at least a skean dhu?

Old Aug 15th, 2006, 12:25 PM

>>>>>
Glasgow, which like any large city (and particularly port cities) has its fair share of violent crime
>>>>>

make that MUCH MORE than its fair share of crime. look at the stats...it's a mess...and knife crime is a real problem.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Can i assume that the knife thugs are not all ethnic Scots?
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 12:47 PM

yeah, they are scots. "ALL scots"... well you can't say that. but scots, yes. there is a big problem with crime in some parts of scotland.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 01:47 PM

Don't you guys remember when Glasgow was mostly famous for its razor gangs?

It's got MUCH worse since then. But you must realise that Oban and Skye are QUITE safe for passing tourists.

The SE Press release says:-

A ban on the general sale of swords and a licensing regime for sales of non-domestic knives and other bladed items were announced today.

Legislation, to be introduced to Parliament later this year, will make it an offence for anyone to sell swords in Scotland other than for a legitimate purpose specifically exempted in law, including religious, cultural and sporting purposes.

Retailers wishing to sell swords under the exemptions will need to be licensed and comply with mandatory licence conditions, as will any business dealing in non-domestic knives and other bladed implements such as machetes.

The new regime will be backed by strong enforcement, with powers of entry and seizure extended to local authority trading standards officers where they have reasonable grounds to suspect that an offence has been committed.

The measures are the latest steps being taken by the Executive to tackle the scourge of knife crime and help create safer, stronger communities through a combination of legislation, enforcement and education.

Justice Minister Cathy Jamieson said:

"Knife-carrying is all too prevalent in some communities, particularly in the West of Scotland, and has cut short and scarred too many young lives. In these areas police, doctors and law-abiding citizens have seen the damaging effects of swords, including samurai swords, being wielded on the streets.

"It is simply far too easy at present for these weapons to be bought and sold. That is why we will make it an offence for anyone in Scotland to sell a sword, subject to a number of exemptions, and require businesses to be licensed.

"As I have made clear before, we do not wish to unnecessarily restrict or adversely impact on religious, cultural or sporting activities - but neither will we allow communities to live in fear of sword-wielding thugs.

"Anyone wishing to sell swords under the exemptions will have to take reasonable steps to assure themselves that the intended use is an approved one. And it will also be an offence for a purchaser to give false information.

"Commercial sellers will have to comply with strict new licensing conditions, for example, keeping full records of all sales and buyers and complying with restrictions on displaying items.

"The licensing regime for sales of all non-domestic knives should help weed out unscrupulous traders and help legitimate traders take steps to avoid these dangerous weapons falling into the wrong hands. This will be backed up with strong enforcement, with trading standards officers having new powers to search premises and seize items.

"This is just part of our wider work to tackle knife crime, having already acted to strengthen police powers, to increase penalties available to the courts and to educate and challenge young people about the dangers of carrying blades.

"We will continue to use all the powers and resources available to government to tackle this menace and I'm confident that, working with others, we can drive down knife crime, keep it down and break its grip on Scotland once and for all."

Detective Chief Superintendent John Carnochan, head of the Violence Reduction Unit, said:

"The introduction of a licensing scheme for non-domestic knives and swords is another major step forward in the fight against knife crime and violence.

"There's no denying that we have a unique problem with knife crime in Scotland. Knives and other sharp instruments are responsible for more than half of the homicides each year in Scotland. Last year there were 1,300 knife attacks in Strathclyde alone. Of these attacks, 1,100 were in a public place and involved non-domestic knives.

"Clearly a licensing scheme on its own won't solve the deep-rooted culture of violence which is prevalent in parts of Scotland. However, along with changes to legislation, amendments to police and criminal justice processes and a whole raft of other measures, it will undoubtedly have a positive impact.

"It's vital that we limit young people's access to potentially lethal weapons - this scheme will make it more difficult to buy a non-domestic knife if you don't have a legitimate reason.

"It's crucial that shopkeepers show some responsibility - they have an important role to play. Hopefully, this new licensing scheme will encourage the more unscrupulous traders to act more responsibly.

"People must realise that swords cause horrific injuries when they get into the wrong hands. We routinely see incidents involving swords, which result in appalling injuries. With the exception of religious, sporting or ceremonial purposes, no one needs to carry a sword on a night out."

In November 2004 the First Minister announced a five-point plan on tackling knife crime, including proposals for a licensing scheme for the sale of non-domestic knives and a ban on sword sales.

The three other parts of the plan - doubling the maximum penalty for carrying a knife in public or in a school from two to four years, removing restrictions on police powers of arrest where someone is carrying a knife or offensive weapon in public, and increasing the minimum purchase age for non-domestic knives from 16 to 18 - were implemented through the Police, Public Order and Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act, and come into force in September.

Tackling Knife Crime, a consultation on the two outstanding parts of the five-point plan, received a total of 181 formal responses and saw a small majority of respondents in favour of licensing the sale of non-domestic knives and a majority against a ban on sales of swords.

After considering the consultation responses, three petitions supporting the five-point plan and one opposing an outright ban on sword sales, Ministers have decided to introduce a licensing scheme for non-domestic knife sales and a ban on selling swords, other than for exempted purposes.

The legislation will provide for exceptions to the ban on sales for exempted purposes including: religion, culture (museum display; dramatic purposes, highland dancing, antique collecting and re-enactment & living history) and sport (fencing and those martial arts organised on a recognised sporting basis).

Licence conditions will set out the requirements businesses will have to follow in terms of collecting details on individuals wishing to purchase a sword.

Any retailers selling swords or non-domestic knives without a licence or anyone selling a sword illegally will face a substantial fine and a prison sentence. Any licensed seller of non-domestic knives or swords who breaches their licence conditions will risk loss of their licence and higher fines than those in place for other licensing schemes.

The mandatory licensing scheme for the commercial sale of non-domestic knives will apply to anyone engaged in the carrying on of a business as a dealer in non-domestic knives, swords and similar items, including second-hand items and any dealing incidental to the dealer's primary business. It will not apply to those engaged in private transactions that do not take place in the course of business.

Local authorities would be responsible for issuing licences. It would be a criminal offence for any business to sell these items without a licence.

As part of a year-long Safer Scotland campaign co-ordinated by the Violence Reduction Unit, the first nationwide knife amnesty recently saw 12,645 weapons handed in to police, including 2,982 non-domestic knives and 474 swords. Enforcement action since then has taken a further 1000 blades off the streets.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Damn you Duncan MacLeod!!! It's because of you and others of your ilk...
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 02:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You mean that "Rebus" isn't real? you've shattered my illusions.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

I've often heard Glasgow called the Detroit of Britain - from its industrial heritage but this adds a new meaning to that phrase. Maybe we can twin the two cities.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 08:59 AM

<<I've often heard Glasgow called the Detroit of Britain>>

PalQ,

There were eight, EIGHT!, deaths from firearms in 2005 in Scotland. Yes, that's the entire COUNTRY over an entire YEAR.

I've been to Detroit and I don't think that's fair to Glasgow at all...

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Well i agree and i should have made it clear that i was kind of joking. Detroit has had i think over 500 murders this year - including school shootings and quite a few innocent kids - down quite a bit from a few years ago.
Sorry for how i came across - of course you're right. I beg your pardon, sincerely.