Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sarlat restaurants---Sunday, Monday night?

Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I've been pouring over the great Fodorites trip reports, and also Trip Advisor, making notes on the restaurants in and around Sarlat. I've got a long list and definitely won't hit them all. I've tried to note the closing nights, but I could still use some help.

It seems that so many mention it is hard to find a restaurant open on Sun. or Mon. night so if any of you can give a few suggestions for those nights, we would appreciate it.

Right now, the only reservation we have is at Le Presidial on Sat. night. We still have 6 nights to fill.
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you in a hotel or an apartment?

I can't remember where we ate on Sundays and Mondays, but we did cook in the apartment a couple of nights.

I think all our other restaurants were found just by walking around, but we were there in October, so there was no problem finding tables even for six of us.
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 05:16 AM

Le Bistro is open on Sunday nights. We ate there just a few weeks ago and of all of the restaurants we tried, it was the best overall quality vs. price. Service can be slow when they are busy.

http://www.linternaute.com/restauran...-bistrot.shtml

Another location we enjoyed was Chez Le Gaulois. Simple plates based upon cured ham, salad, and potatoes/cheese. Particularly good for lunch.

http://www.linternaute.com/restauran...-gaulois.shtml
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 07:57 AM

I forget when exactly are coming (and where you are staying.)

One of the best options is the Bistro d'Octroi
http://lebistrodeloctroi.fr/
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 08:05 AM

Open Sunday - in order of our preference
l'Esplanade in Domme
Plume d'Oie in Roque Gageac
Belle Etoile in Roque Gageac

Open Monday
All the above except Belle Etoile
La Metairie outside of Les Eyzies-de-Tayac

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 12:12 PM

Note that La Metairie has changed hands in the last year or two. Don't know when Stu was there.

Regarding Sunday, you should concentrate on lunch rather than dinner. Virtually everything is open Sunday for lunch, when French families will all be out. Then restaurants often close because there's no one else left to eat. Then they can take their 'weekend' Sunday evening and Monday to prepare for the week ahead.

I'd be surprised if the Plume d'Oie is open Sunday evening - that would mean Marc is cooking 18 hours a day for 7 days a week. Bur perhaps he has more help now. Generally it's only larger places with more staff who are open Sunday night and Monday. But as I say, Sunday lunch is a much better bet.

That would leave the various suggestions for Monday - The Bistro, Bistro de l'Octroi, etc.

A reminder that it's worth phoning ahead for almost anywhere you want to go other than a general cafe on the square in Sarlat - not the best places to eat. Why plan on going somewhere special, particularly if it involves driving, if there is any chance it may be full or closed when you get there?
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 01:09 PM

>> Don't know when Stu was there.
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 03:47 PM

>>I'd be surprised if the Plume d'Oie is open Sunday evening
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks Stu, Carlux, and Sarastro for your suggestions. We don't like to plan EVERYTHING down to the last minute, but we've also been in enough travel situations where we wished we had planned---like most restaurants closed on Sun. night & Monday.

We will arrive in Sarlat Fri. 14/9 and depart 21/9 and are staying in this apt. right in the center. Usually we would choose to stay in the countryside, but this time we wanted to be in Sarlat to see it in the early morning and evening and also to walk to dinner some evenings. Much to our surprise, we will be there during Herritage Days and are looking forward to Sarlat being candlelit on Sat. 15/9 which happens to be my birthday---can I blow them all out at once to make my wish come true? I don't have to, being in France again for my birthday is a wish fulfilled.

http://www.perigord-locations.fr/ren...rd-rentals.php
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 08:17 AM

>>we will be there during Herritage Days
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 09:16 AM

Absolutely no need to go to Perigueux pendant les Journees du Patrimoine (not Patrimonie) Go to the Sarlat Tourist office and check the schedule. There will be some sites/chateaux which are normally NOT open, which open that weekend. Others will have special manifestations - one year we went to the Chateau de Castelnaud and talked to someone making armour. What do you do for a real job we asked. Make armour full time he answered. Quite a revelation.

Information on Sarlat is at http://cdt24.tourinsoft.com/upload/M...e760d87eb2.pdf

But there will be lots going on at other sites in the region.
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 09:50 AM

What are the actual dates of the Journées du Patrimoine? We'll be there August 30 - September 13. Not that we'll have much time if any for festivities, but it might be fun to take an evening off for some fun.
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 11:51 AM

September 15 and 16. Too late
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 11:53 AM

Oh well. Thank you. I couldn't find anything except 2011 dates. Maybe next time.