Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sarlat lovers---rent this movie! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sarlat-lovers-rent-this-movie-606134/)

La_Tour_de_Cause Apr 8th, 2006 04:47 AM

Sarlat lovers---rent this movie!

We now think this movie is a "must see" for someone about to travel to the Dordogne! Rent "The Duellists" and immerse yourself in the tremendous cinematography and wintry scenery of the area all around Sarlat. This was the very first feature-length film made by director Ridley Scott ("Gladiator" & "Alien," among others), filmed in 1975, based on a short story by Joseph Conrad, starring Harvey Keitel and Keith Carradine.
If you've spent time in the Dordogne, you'll love the misty meadows and forests, the typical architecture, the gritty village scenes in downtown Sarlat, and the last act, filmed at the feudal compound of Commarque, before the current restoration process had begun.
Director's commentary tells of his 1975 winter spent making the film, with nearly all the scenes shot outdoors using natural light (and what beautiful winter light it is). The final scene is devastatingly lovely, as one of the characters looks out over the flooding Dordogne river plain, and the sun, low in the western sky, breaks through a rift in the clouds and lights up the scene.
Rent it (netflix), watch it, love it.

Neopolitan Apr 8th, 2006 05:04 AM

I'm assuming this is an American movie? No subtitles? I ask because my newish Sony Flat Screen TV is offcenter, and we can't view subtitles on it.

If I rent one more film where I can't read the subtitles, I think I'll throw the thing out the window.

twk Apr 8th, 2006 05:12 AM

Yes, it is an English language film.

ekscrunchy Apr 8th, 2006 05:17 AM

Neo can you see the crawl on your TV or is that also blocked off?

Neopolitan Apr 8th, 2006 06:07 AM

Also blocked off. I called Sony and they insisted that it can't be changed and it is a fault of our cable company. They couldn't explain why it is perfectly fine on my little TV set in the kitchen, and on all my neighbor's sets.

When hurricane system comes and they start a warning crawl, I have to go turn on the other TV to see if they're telling us we're about to be blown away.

And forget watching Wheel of Fortune or other game shows where the information is on the bottom of the screen. It doesn't exist on this set.

Good news about the film, I didn't suspect Keith and Harvey would be speaking French!

StCirq Apr 8th, 2006 06:42 AM

Thanks, La Tour!

irish Apr 8th, 2006 10:07 AM

For Neo...My new Samsung Flat Screen had white dashes flitting across the top of screen on local channels only. I called Samsung 4 times and Cable Co 5 times and they blamed each other. Finally,last month I called Cable,got a very knowledgeable woman who led me thru the process to change the TV settings using my remote. VOILA!! The white lines are gone. She also said they burn out the screen if I watched that channel for a long time. I do not watch local TV very much so hopefully no prob there.
Any way..call Cable Co and ask for a tech who can instruct you how to change the settings using your remote.

cigalechanta Apr 8th, 2006 10:16 AM

I saw that film when it was first released and recently gave it as a gift to a friend who loves the Dordogne. It was finally was reduced in price $14.95.
A film worth keeping.

Neopolitan Apr 8th, 2006 10:29 AM

irish, thanks for the tip. I'll do that on Monday if I have a few hours to be put on hold, but I'm not going to hold my breat. Comcast here is lucky if they can figure out where the cable is out or on, yet alone give advice on such matters as this.

Just yesterday someone was telling me about trying to speak to the comcast technician who came to repair his cable. When he tried to speak to him, the guy pulled out a pre-printed card explaining that he didn't speak English, and if he had any questions he needed to call the office.

moolyn Apr 8th, 2006 10:49 AM

Thanks for telling us about this movie! We'll be in the Dordogne this June for the first time, staying in Sarlat, so I'll be sure track "The Duellists" down.

irish Apr 8th, 2006 01:42 PM

Neo..I have Comcast,also and the cable guy who installed mine obviously did not do the settings correctly.Very poor service but they have a monopoly. Hopefully someone will be able to help you

hopingtotravel Apr 8th, 2006 08:13 PM

Holy cow! Maybe I'll just stay in Alaska where I can actually watch TV!

Scarlett Apr 8th, 2006 10:00 PM

I remember when this film came out and how bored I got with them dueling ! lol
I have to watch it again, now that I am all grown up and can appreciate the scenery :)

Carlux Apr 10th, 2006 05:45 AM

Also Ever After, a 'modern' take on Cinderella,with Drew Barrymore - not my favourite actress, but filmed in Sarlat and environs, so lots of great chateaux. The King's palace is Chateau Hautefort, and it's fun to try to identify the others.

But the best of all time is Le Boucher - the Butcher, a Chabrol movie from 1970, one of his best. Filmed in Tremolat, where you can still recognize the school, and other parts of the village. The town used to look just like in the movie until the last 8 or 9 years, when it got prettied up. A magnificent shot of the Dordogne in the opening, plus lots of other great views. One of the great French movies. And the wedding scene in the opening is just like the dances we still attend at the Salle des Fetes in the village.

La_Tour_de_Cause Apr 11th, 2006 09:02 AM

Carlux -- Thanks for reminding me about "Le Boucher." I'd been told about that one before, but had forgotten about it. I'll try looking for it on Amazon.com, which is where I bought my copy of "The Duellists."
Carlux, are you here in Perigord right now?

cigalechanta Apr 11th, 2006 09:07 AM

If you can't find it there, I buy all my French films at facets.org

Carlux Apr 11th, 2006 11:08 AM

Yes, I am here in the Perigord right now - we have lived here for almost 12 years and dont intend going anywhere else for a long time!

La_Tour_de_Cause Apr 21st, 2006 01:07 AM

Off subject, but Carlux, do you know when the fabulous plant faire will be held this year at the Nouvelle Abbaye? Are you familiar with that? It's fabulous to see, très pittoresque...and wonderful specialty varieties of roses, lavenders, herbs, perennials.

Carlux Apr 21st, 2006 04:30 AM

I think the plant fair at Abbaye Nouvel is usually around the 20th - since Sunday is the 21st, I suspect it will be that day, but havent yet seen any signs. Abbaye Nouvel is one of our favourite places - when we first moved here we went to a nursery at Prayssac (Pierre Coffre - excellent for roses, and lots of other stuff) and stopped by to see the Abbaye. We were still at the stage (and probably still are) of being amazed that we could just come across such a lovely mediaeval site at the side of the road. We went past last week, with the countryside a wonderful shade of green, sun shining, trees in bloom, and thought again how lucky we are to live here. (As my husband says, the harder I work, the luckier I get!) But still lucky.