Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sardinia places to visit (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sardinia-places-to-visit-694060/)

Gina_07 Apr 4th, 2007 05:07 PM

Sardinia places to visit

Hi-My husband and I will be visiting Sardinia in the second half of June with our two children, 6 and 9. We have already booked hotels for 3 nights in Villasimius and 3 nights in Golfo Aranci. We have rented a car to move around and between the two destinations. What are the must sees in the two areas? What is the best route to drive from Villasimius to Golfo Aranci? Is a day trip to Bonifacio feasible? I know that we have to get to Santa Teresa di Gallura from Golfo Aranci but I have no idea how long it will take and if there is enough parking there. Could anyone help please? Thank you very much.

amydelta Apr 4th, 2007 07:09 PM

Hi, Gina! I, too, will be in Sardinia for a week in June with my husband and three children, 7 yr old twins and 5 yr old. We, however, are staying in Alghero (northwest) for the entire week, as they are supposed to have beautiful beaches. I was not able to find much information at all on Fodor's about Sardinia (it's not a very well known destination in US). I found www.tripadvisor.com to have a LOT more information~they also have more specific forums in which you can post questions. Hope this helps! I can't wait to go~hope y'all have a great trip :)

Gina_07 Apr 26th, 2007 10:13 AM

I followed your advice, Amydelta. Thanks a lot. I have never visited Sardinia but all I hear is that it's great. Have a nice trip!

amydelta Apr 26th, 2007 12:10 PM

Gina, glad to hear that tripadvisor helped you! Did you get your trip planned out? When are you going? We leave 4 weeks from Sat. (not that I'm counting) heading to England first to see father-in-law. I'm so excited!! P.S. Do you live in America? Curious as to how one might get to Sardinia from U.

amydelta Apr 26th, 2007 12:12 PM

oops, hit the wrong button. What I was trying to say was I was curious as to how you might get to Sardinia from the U.S.? Are you going elsewhere in Europe?

Gina_07 Apr 30th, 2007 04:42 PM

Amydelta:

yes, we live in the US. We will go to Amalfi coast, first, then we take the overnight ferry from Naples to Cagliari. It leaves at 7:15 pm and arrives at 11:45 am next morning. We tried to purchase the tickets online, from the Tyrrhenia Navigazione (??? spelling) website but it did not go through. I found a travel agent in the UK who booked the tickets for us. We will stay 3 nights in Villasimius, which is in the south, near Cagliari, then we will drive to Golfo Aranci for 3 more nights. It is very close to Costa Smeralda but is more low key and reasonably priced. The reviews are promising. We plan to visit La Maddalena for a day trip (the boats leave from Palau very frequently) and, possibly, Bonifacio in Corsica for another day trip. We will take a morning ferry from Golfo Aranci to Civitavecchia on the return trip.

I am guessing that you will be flying from England directly to Sardinia. Sardinia seems to be very popular with British tourists but it is still undiscovered by Amricans. A few friends are already pretty impressed about our choice and are waiting to hear about our impressions.

Waldo Apr 30th, 2007 05:50 PM

You will love Golfo Aranci. My sister in law owns a condo on the beach. My wife and I go every year. You are right when you say that it's undiscovered by Americans. When we're on the beach (or anywhere else in Golfo Aranci), we're the only Americans there.

Gina_07 May 5th, 2007 11:26 AM

Waldo, have you been to Porto Cervo? Do you think it deserves a visit? We didn't book a hotel there because of the prices and because there seemed to be nothing particularly interesting to see. However, we plan to stop there on our way to or from Palau for a cup of coffee or a meal to see what all the buzz is about.

Waldo May 6th, 2007 11:14 AM

Been to Porto Cervo many times. It's a pretty place, but nothing too interesting to see, unless you're into large yachts and famous people, if they happen to be around. I've run into Denzel Washington a few times, but he didn't recognize me, imagine that! The town is very clean, and shows off its upper class stature very well, but I'm not that impressed with it. Above all, DON"T GO EAT THERE!!!. You will pay a fortune for a simple sandwich. Port Rotundo is just as pretty and a little less expensive. Are you staying in Golfo Aranci? If so, where?

Gina_07 May 6th, 2007 02:12 PM

Thanks for the tip, Waldo. Yes, we are staying in Golfo Aranci, at a hotel named Gabbiano Azzuro. It is right at the beach. We look forward to it.

Waldo May 6th, 2007 05:24 PM

The Gabbiano Azzurro is a FABULOUS place. My sister in law's condo is a few hundred feet from it. The hotel is great, I'm positive you will love it. Be sure to rent a paddle boat when you're there. They are a lot of fun. It's too bad that you're not going to be there on August 15th. That's what they call FerrAgosto. It's also the feast of Madonna Di Carmena. The town of Golfo Aranci is very heavy on the fishing industry. On this date, the local pastor blesses the fishing fleet, and thay all go out and catch a bunch of fish. That evening, the fishermen throw a HUGE party in town, with all the fish one could eat, and all the wine one could drink. They have first rate entertainment and a huge carnival atmosphere, where everyone around has a ball. I'll probably be there serving fish, because my brother in law is the self appointed mayor of Golfo Aranci. He thinks he's a big shot, but it's a lot of fun. I'm sure my wife and I will be the only Americans there. I have lots of stories pertaining to being American in Golfo Aranci. I've made many friends there.

Waldo May 7th, 2007 06:42 AM

If you want to see a picture of Golfo Aranci, and also the Hotel Gabbianno Azzurro, do thew following:
Click on "golfoaranci.com". After getting on the site, click on "turismo" at the heading. You will see the first picture as you scroll down. Zoom in on the photo. There is Golfo Aranci before you. The Gabbiano Azurro is the largest white, square building at about nine o'clock on the photo, the one with the reddish roof. It juts out from between the two beaches adjoining it. Let me know if you want more info.

Gina_07 May 7th, 2007 08:37 AM

Thanks a lot, Waldo, I think I spotted the hotel. It has a lovely location and the whole area looks so nice. One more question. I see 2-3 piers not very far from the hotel. Do you know if that's where the ferries to Civitavecchia dock? Thanks.

Waldo May 8th, 2007 07:08 AM

Yep, you got it. Those piers are the ones for the ferries (they call them tragettos) from Civitavecchia. Golfo Aranci is a small town, and the docks are about a five minute drive to the the hotel. Golfo Aranci has only one main road, the Via De La Liberta. Everything else branches off from it. Getting around is very easy. One other thing, go eat at La Spigola restaurant. It's got a great location on the beach, and it's a few minutes walk from the hotel. I kick myself in the rear end. I could have owned that restaurant. About 20 years ago, it was just an abandoned shack on the beach, with junk and matresses floating around it. My brother in law said we should take it over and open a restaurant. I told him no. The guy that did take it over has done a great job, with good food, good prices and a great atmosphere. We know him. He is now a VERY rich man. The ferry ride from Civitavecchia is great. If you go in the daytime (there are night ferries also), look overboard and look for the dolphins following the ship. They are always there.

amydelta May 10th, 2007 12:44 PM

Waldo, do you happen to know how far of a drive it is from Alghero to Golfo Aranci? We will be in Alghero for a week next month, but are looking for a smallish village on/near a beach to drive to, and possibly spend the night, just to see more of the island. Does this sound like it fits the bill? If so, do you have any hotels recommendations? Thanks so much. Amy

Waldo May 10th, 2007 04:11 PM

I couldn't venture an opinion as to the drive between Alghero and Golfo Aranci. I've never made it. The distance is not very much, however, the roads in Sardinia leave a lot to be desired. As far as hotels in Golfo Aranci, the Gabbiano Azzuro is great, and so is the Margherita.

bondie May 20th, 2007 06:46 AM

hey waldo i just ran across your messaging re: Sardinia, while i've been searching for things to do n see. i'm in port 4 10hrs w/7y kids. what should we do? we r seasoned travelers n can navigate trains etc., if u suggest getting out of town? I ck'd tripadv. but only found hotel reviews. u seem to no lots pls can u help me 2?

bondie May 20th, 2007 07:10 AM

can i give or get e-mail address on this post? I am going on my medi cruise fri 5/25/07 4adults-7yr twins, 12yr & 5yr. can we eat drink n be merry at any of these hotels? can we rent bikes, or kyaks? Something fun 4 the whole family? we dont want to shop or museum hop. any suggestion? thank u. [email protected]

bondie May 20th, 2007 07:14 AM

oh i forgot to ask? how is transportation from the port? are there taxi, train station near by? are there private limo drivers hanging around offering svc like in other ports?

Waldo May 20th, 2007 09:14 AM

Which port are you asking about?