Sardinia-Is 3 weeks too long to go to

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sardinia-Is 3 weeks too long to go to

Sardinia? If so, what is Sardinia near? Perhaps we would do 1 week Sardinia, & 2 weeks in 1-2 other destinatinos? travelingw/ young children. IDeas?
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 09:34 PM

Hello joan, in my opinion yes three weeks on Sardinia (Sardegna in Italian by the way) would be two weeks to long. The most I would stay is one week. I am not sure what you mean by "what it is near?". It is a large island rather west of Naples (Napoli in Italian).

Do you have a map of Italy? If not I would suggest you obtain one and try to get one where the places in Italy are in Italian so that when you arrive in Italy you will not be confused.

I have no idea as to what other destinations you should go to as you do not give any information as to what you are interesting in seeing and doing.

Large cities, small towns, countryside, lake country, mountains? Architecture, museums, history, hiking etc.

What time of the year will you be in Italy? And your young children, are they toddlers, around five years old or ten years old or so?

How will you get around Italy? By train or are you thinking of renting a car?

I would either go to a good book store and start looking at some travel books regarding Italy joan or I would go to your local library and check out some travel books on Italy.

Have you checked the Destinations here on Fodor's?

After you have looked at a map of Italy and reviewed some travel books etc., and decided what appeals to you if you post back here with thoughts and questions including more about what you and your family are interested in you will no doubt receive a wealth of information.

Note: To avoid backtracking you can book a flight into one Italian airport and depart from another Italian airport so that you do not have to backtrack during your trip. That is known as a Multi-City flight or also an Open Jaw flight. Best regards, and have fun researching your trip.

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 11:51 PM

I could spend weeks in Sardinia, it is absolutely stunning (after 5 days in Alghero last October, I am going to Cagliari for a week in March).

A car is a must, unless you want to spend all your time at the beach.

Communications are not easy, except for the main roads between Alghero, Olbia and Cagliari. Roads are often very winding and speed limited. It took me an hour to drive from Alghero to Bosa (50 km) not counting the many stops along the way to admire the landscape.

I found food rather expensive in restaurants along the coast (many tourists) and quite reasonable elsewhere.
Sardinia is very close to Corsica.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 01:37 PM

I agree totally 3 weeks is not enough! Sardinia is stunning, huge and has a lot to keep interest if you are prepared to drive.

However, one great two centre holiday is a week in the hill towns of Tuscany then the ferry to Olbia and spend a week simply chilling out on the beaches.

Sardinia is a dream destination for children - the beaches have very good quality sand, have generally gentle shelves and are protected. Indeed, the Cala Di Volpe headland has 5 beaches facing in 360o directions - it is possible in a 3 mile length of coast to find shelter from wind in any direction.

Alghero has a Spanish influence, Olbia has nothing going for it and is not a tourist town. Santa Theresa has a great frontier town feel and is close to the stunning Maddelena Islands. Cagliari has enough interest to keep you for a couple of days. Oristano has some of the most beautiful coastal roman ruins around. The Costa Verde has sand dunes and seascapes that you didn't think really existed.

I could go on but yes it does have enough to keep you going and is still relatively very undiscovered.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 01:45 PM

ps

Pvoyageuse - when in Cagliari eat at the famous fish restaurant it is an experience to to miss. I cannot for the life of me remember its name but if you leave Cagliari heading towards Pula the dual carriageway crosses the saltpans with Flamingos. At the end of the saltpans after around 5 miles you hit the small town of La Maddelena - the restaurant is on the left as you enter the town on the sea front - can't miss it and its not too expensive.

Three great trips from Cagliari

Tharos - roman ruins - beautiful setting

Chia - beautiful beach

Costa Verde - strange place!!!

Enjoy your trip!!
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 08:51 PM

I am VERY confused as you have over 8 different threads with you and your family going to various beach vacations in Europe,Caribbean,etc.
Where are you going? I suggest that you consolidate your threads for easier viewing and help.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 03:15 AM

Markrosy

Thank you for the restaurant suggestion in La Maddelena, I will certainly try it.
Have been to Tharos from Alghero, it is indeed beautiful.