Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sardinia and Sicily - March orJuly (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sardinia-and-sicily-march-orjuly-1681276/)

isabel Jun 19th, 2020 10:50 AM

Sardinia and Sicily - March orJuly

Planning for next year and my options are mid March through mid April or July (about a month long trip).

In the early spring there will be less crowds (and probably cheaper prices) but days will be shorter and weather could be rainy. Rain is a big problem for me, much worse than heat. But a few days I can deal with. More wondering if things will feel 'closed up' still that early in the spring. I'm not looking a beach vacation (swimming) but I certainly want to walk along water, and photograph it, and probably take a boat ride. The idea of flowers in the spring is good.

Sites like timeanddate.com give average high and low temps and rainfall but they don't really paint a good picture.

I've not been to Sardinia at all so would want to see most of the island, I've been to Sicily but not the Aeolian Islands and I'd want to revisit Siricusa and around. Also considering a few days in Corsica as a side trip.

I know May and June would be better but I don't want to go then.

When would you go and why?

Heimdall Jun 20th, 2020 02:50 AM

I guess you should go when you want to go. I was in Sardinia at the beginning of September, and really enjoyed it. The August crowds were mostly gone by then, but the seawater was warm, and days were sunny. One of our group was a native Sardinian, whose family lived near Orgosolo. This little town is famous for its murals painted on walls and buildings, so would make an interesting side trip if you have time.

There will probably be Easter festivals if you are there in late March to early April.

TDudette Jul 30th, 2020 07:38 PM

DH and I took most of our 2-week trips in March around our anniversary on the 17th. We rarely encountered rain or cold. Fewer tourists but not all tours available that early. As the years went by, we encountered more folks.

Traveler_Nick Jul 30th, 2020 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by isabel (Post 17118292)
Planning for next year and my options are mid March through mid April or July (about a month long trip).

In the early spring there will be less crowds (and probably cheaper prices) but days will be shorter and weather could be rainy. Rain is a big problem for me, much worse than heat. But a few days I can deal with. More wondering if things will feel 'closed up' still that early in the spring.

Easter is the start of April next year. That means more will be open . Prices will also reflect that.I'm sure there is more rain March/April than July but it's not normally rainy season. Rain is a bigger issue November/December than March/April.

If you're not swimming and I assume not using the beach facilities you shouldn't have to worry about what's open. Even mid winter nobody will stop you walking along the beach. The shorter days actually works for you since it's easier to be at the beach for sunrise or sunset photos. July sunrise means waking up before you go to bed.

Mypetron88 Oct 10th, 2023 11:04 PM

It's best to travel when it suits your preferences.

It's best to travel when it suits your preferences. I had the chance to visit Sardinia at the start of September, and it was a delightful experience. By that time, the large August crowds had mostly dissipated, and the seawater remained warm while the days were filled with sunshine. Among our group, there was a native Sardinian whose family resided near Orgosolo. This charming little town is renowned for its captivating murals adorning walls and buildings, making it an intriguing side trip option if you have the opportunity.

bilboburgler Oct 11th, 2023 12:30 AM

Climate Change means that historical weather reports are less and less useful. My suggestion is that Sicily has more things to do and both islands prices soar in July (when Europeans, with their massive holiday numbers are everywhere) so go in March. I went in January and despite having to step through snow on some mountain tops had lovely dry days.

geetika Oct 11th, 2023 01:28 AM

We spent almost a fortnight in Sicily mid to end April 2022, we flew into Palermo the Easter weekend. A little rain the first day or two, then bright sunshine right through. Palermo was rather windy and chilly, especially when out of the sun, otherwise perfect weather everywhere.

We mostly found local tourists, except for some groups of Germans in Palermo, but nowhere was it crowded as later in the year, even May.

But as suggested above, go when it’s most convenient to your schedule.

ekscrunchy Oct 11th, 2023 02:02 PM

I know nothing about Sardinia but I'd bet that the March-April would be great in Sicily...May was hot and rainy this year and the wildflowers I'd remembered from past trips a bit earlier in the year were mostly gone by May.

Where would you consider going in Sicily? I can recommend a fabulous B&B in Ragusa Isla and another outside Porto Empedocle (near Scala del Turchi). And we loved Trapani.

Leely2 Oct 11th, 2023 02:11 PM

isabel, the OP, died a year or more ago. May she rest in peace.

https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...sabel-1715728/