Sardenia or Sicily in December?

Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Sardenia or Sicily in December?

Sicily or Sardenia?? That is the question. Does anyone have any insight about which might be better to visit this December? Maybe I prefer which ever is a bit easier to navigate (had knee surgery 4 months ago, don't like hills too much!) Most importantly though is choosing a place that is lovely and authentic - though user friendly might be nice too. Should we rent a car on these islands? Which might be best for a mellow time? Thanks!
Nov 3rd, 2009, 01:45 AM

In a word neither for differing reasons - on Sunday I returned from a week in Sicily - there are many adjectives I would use for this island but mellow is not one of them. Particularly when mentioning renting a car - the Sicilians behaviour on the roads is sub-human. Sicilians seem to have a hang up about everything - maybe its due to the island beiong plundered for the last 1000 years or the absence of any civil rule for the last 150 years but they are a strange bunch.

I have visited Sardinia 4 times and found the people far friendlier than the Sicilians. However, many of the attractions of Sardinia are its coastline and scenery. Personally, when the sun is out, I think this is the best corner of the Med. However, in the rain in December I am not sure.

If you are planning a trip why Sardinia or Sicily?
Nov 3rd, 2009, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

Hey thank you for your honest info here. I was just playing around with ideas for an easy getaway with my fav cuisine, an island really because I didn't get to go to the Greek Islands during summer like I'd wanted to. Why was I thinking it would be any more sensible to go to these Med islands way out of season. You have convinced me not to go during December. Also may not want to drive either! Thanks! I'll keep thinking. Maybe Portugal or somewhere in Spain.
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:28 AM

Markrosy: I hope you don't mind my intrusion into this discussion.

If someone who had a week's vacation were to head for Sardinia, in spring or fall, which area of the island, or which few places, do you think would offer the most interest? (Eating, scenery, sightseeing, scenic walks, off-season beaches, etc)

Thanks!!
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:30 AM
kja

I loved Sicily (in May), but I was not seeking a mellow vacation. I haven't been to Sardinia yet. The idea of a mellow trip in winter to somewhere lovely and authentic with Italian cuisine makes me think of Puglia. Is that of any interest to you? If it is, maybe others can comment on what it might be like in December.
Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:54 PM

Ekscrunchy,
We just returned from our second trip to Cagliari, Sardinia and really loved the city! Incredible architecture, sights and beautiful viewpoints (the city is uphill so if you like walking then it's great...there are also elevators for those who don't enjoy scaling upwards). Food was a delight (as it is in most Italian cities)but there is something incredibly special about Cagliari! We stayed at the Hotel Miramare this year and had an incredible view of the harbor.
Lisa
Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:32 PM

"If someone who had a week's vacation were to head for Sardinia, in spring or fall, which area of the island, or which few places, do you think would offer the most interest? (Eating, scenery, sightseeing, scenic walks, off-season beaches, etc)"

I've been to Sardinia 3 times (and planning a 4th trip).
The whole island is stunningly beautiful.
Among the most scenic roads: Alghero to Bosa, Cagliari to Taulade and the Orientale Sarde from Tortoli to Dorgali (very winding.
The beaches on the Eastern coast are the most pristine (Baunei, Cala Gonone, etc...).
Sightseeing : you'll find nuraghe (prehistoric villages) all over the island. Beautiful Romanesque churches around Sassari.
Archeological museum in Cagliari. Phoenician ruins in Tharros and Antas.
For a first visit, I'd choose Alghero, Cagliari or Palau as a base and explore the surroundings.
Nov 4th, 2009, 03:40 AM

Thank you so much, PV and Lisa. I had been thinking of Puglia for my next Italy trip, but I now plan to order a copy of the LP Sardinia guide...
Nov 4th, 2009, 04:28 AM

ekscrunchy :
I have written 2 trip reports which might interest you.
(The 3rd one is not yet done)