Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Santorini with older parents- Aigiales Hotel vs. Volcano View Villas

Oct 20th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Hello Fordorites-

I would be most interested in comments regarding the following hotels: Aigialos Hotel vs the Volcano View Villas.

In May, I will be traveling with my parents (70's), my brother and an infant. We want a luxury hotel, no more than 275 euros, with a wonderful view and private balconies. The sunset view is a must. Due to my parents age, they are concerned about hotels with too many steps.

Both of these hotels seem to fit the bill but there have been poor comments about the Aigialos. Suggestions are welcome!
Oct 20th, 2006, 12:16 PM

The Aigialos Hotel is in the heart of the main village of Fira while VVV is 1.5km away. But if the Aigialos' reviews bother you I would keep looking. You have time.

Have you considered the Atlantis Hotel, Theoxenia Hotel, Hotel Kavalari and the Panorama Hotel? They're all in Fira overlooking the Caldera with very few steps to navigate. In your price range you could afford two separate rooms at any of these hotels.

Are you considering any other villages other than Fira? There are some great hotels in Oia as well as in Firostefani and Imerovigli.
Oct 20th, 2006, 03:41 PM

I have a reason to recommend Atlantis in Thira... it is an older "Classic" luxury hotel with wonderful service. I recommended it last year to a couple in their 70s with physical limitations (couldn't do stairs or lift luggage). I had them book through Fantasy travel that picked them up at Airport at each island, and had rental car waiting for them at Hotel (Important: there is room for parking, which is otherwise hard to find in Thira). They got sunset view rooms and were HIGHLY pleased. It is centrally located but quiet, not near night clubs.
I know brotherlee does love Oia, as do we all, but for older people Thira may be better, because it's just a short walk from hotel to shopping, cafes and vistas. It is the closest big hotel to the wonderful museum. And if they want to go back to the hotel to relax, it doesn't involve a bus or them driving or being driven.
Check Trip Advisor for comments from people.
Oct 21st, 2006, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for posting- Botherleelove, I was hoping to hear from you as you seem to be an expert on Santorini. Travelerjan- thank you also for your comments. I will definitely check out the hotels you both mentioned.

Here is one other question- I would like to take a one day sailing cruise around the Island. My parents will not accompany me on this. I found what looks like the perfect setup- it involves a 4 hour sail including time to swim in the hot springs but it is extremely pricey- www.sanstorinisailing.com. - 175 euros per peron. I am looking for a small (no more than 20-25 people) sailboat cruise but at a lower price. This cruise involves top food and wine, which I can do without. Any ideas?
Oct 21st, 2006, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

One last question for both of you- we are looking for a hotel that has a very high end service/ammenities, but with a local flair. I looked at the Atlantis and, while I might be wrong, it looks like a hotel you could find elsewhere in Europe. The Aigialos is appealing because it seems to offer a very "greek" small village atmosphere. Do you know about the stairs issue at that hotel?
Oct 21st, 2006, 08:59 AM

Here are some links to less-expensive island tours by boat:

http://www.santorini-volcano-cruises.com/
http://www.thiratours.com/Santorini-volcano-cruises.htm
http://www.greecetravel.com/aegean/tour_jtr_multi.asp
http://www.betistravel.com/pages/759.php

Judging from a very bad map I have of Fira, the Agialos Hotel is down some steps below the Atlantis Hotel. I can't tell how many or how far down it is, but the hotels I mentioned above are more easily accessible.
Oct 21st, 2006, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

My mother is most interested in the Volcano View Villas- can you comment on them. I don't think the rooms look too great... any issues with steps, noise or location? I appreciate your comments.

Oct 21st, 2006, 04:17 PM

I've never toured the VVV, so I can't really pass judgement. I will say that from their website it looks pretty boring to me, and their website says they're 2km from Fira, which must place them on the road to the port. This causes me to wonder about traffic noise since this is the main thoroughfare to the south end of the island. Also, there's really no place to browse and/or stroll out there except along the road. At least if you stay in one of the villages you can walk around, stop for a coffee and window shop when it strikes your fancy.

Have a look at the Volcano's Villas in Oia. They are easily accessed step-wise and the view is spectacular as it encompasses the caldera AND the whole village of Oia.

http://www.greekhotel.com/cyclades/s...illas/home.htm
Oct 21st, 2006, 05:37 PM

Hi Annie,
I booked my parents into the Volcano Villas last June for precisely that reason--they did not want to deal with steps.
They LIKED the hotel, but did not LOVE it. I would keep looking, personally, as they are not usually hard to please.
A couple of years ago, we stayed at the Vedema, which does not have a lot of stairs. We absolutely loved it and would stay there again in a heartbeat, but am thinking it is over your budget unless maybe you are visiting during low season.

good luck.
dina
Oct 21st, 2006, 06:03 PM

Dina4, was that the Volcano View Villas in Fira or the Volcano's Villas in Oia?
Oct 22nd, 2006, 08:36 AM

The one in Oia. They did love Oia.
Oct 22nd, 2006, 09:55 AM

We stayed in VVV, outside Thira; the view was spectacular, and it was not noisy. Depending upon what level your room is on, you would have few or many steps. I imagine you could request a room near the top, especially since May would not be high season. We had our own private terrace, and walking out on it in the morning, the view of the caldera was breathtaking.

VVV provides a shuttle (on the hour, or half hour--can't remember which) into Thira during the day. I would not call VVV a luxury hotel, but a very nice one. The view, of course, was certainly "luxury"!