Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Santorini vs. Mykanos (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/santorini-vs-mykanos-651883/)

Baron7 Oct 9th, 2006 03:56 PM

Santorini vs. Mykanos

Planning a trip to Santorini.I have mixed feelings about Mykanos.If I just spend time in Santorini,how many days would you suggest should be enough? I am looking for a little serenity and I am not sure if Mykanos would be the place.

anat1 Oct 9th, 2006 04:42 PM

We just came back from Greece. We've been to both Mykonos and Santorini and we loved Santorini. I would suggest 3-4 nights at Santorini since there are plenty to see on Santorini and also on the surronding islands.

Weadles Oct 9th, 2006 06:39 PM

We visited Mykonos and Santorini in July. I didn't like Myknonos at all, but fell in love with Santorini, which is probably one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited, and that includes the Amalfi Coast! I think you could easily spend 4-5 days there- or longer, since you may not want to leave. Just beware of the summer crowds, especially around sunset when everyone shuffles through the tiny streets to watch. We avoided some of the crowds by going out in the late afternoon, and after the sunset had disappeared, which is when the stars come out over the caldera, and the island is at its magical best. AHHHH...

P_M Oct 9th, 2006 06:56 PM

I hope I won't offend any Mykonos fans, but I just can't see the attraction for Mykonos. Santorini was many times prettier and more interesting. Santorini is a great place for the serenity you are seeking, while Mykonos is a little more of a party place.

draimond Oct 9th, 2006 07:06 PM

where to stay in santorini

draimond Oct 9th, 2006 07:07 PM

where to stay in santorini?

draimond Oct 9th, 2006 07:08 PM

where to stay in santorini, what is th best of th ebst

brink Oct 9th, 2006 07:52 PM

I think it depends on what you're looking to do.... a couple honeymooning may prefer Santorini.... but if you're looking for nightclubs, Mykonos is the place.

A few years ago I went on a "girls trip" with friends and spent 5 days in Mykonos / 4 days in Santorini. In Mykonos we partied from evening til the early morning hours... in Santorini we recovered :) At the time, I wouldn't have done it any other way!

However, now older, I would only return to Santorini... it's stunningly beautiful and there's a perfect mix of things to do (not a lot-- so you don't feel pressured to be on the run 24/7)

Have a great time.

(Oh.. where to stay...my sister just got back from Santorini...stayed at one ofthe Starwood resorts (Vedema, I think) and loved it.

anamaria Oct 9th, 2006 09:04 PM

Baron look at my thread
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34866385
If I did it wrong click on my name and go to Family of 5 just back from Italy and Greece.
If I had to do my trip over again, I would only do Santorini and the Astra Apartments. There are also pics. The Santorini part is at the very end of my thread.

Heimdall Oct 9th, 2006 11:39 PM

Baron7, you say you are looking for a little serenity, but have picked the two most heavily touristed islands in the Cyclades. There are many other islands that get few visitors - those are the ones that are hard to reach, or don't have good beaches or other attractions. When do you plan to travel, and what are your interests?

The best way to get away from the crowds is to travel off-season, say April (except around Easter) or October, when even Santorini and Mykonos will be relatively quiet. But for off-season travel you need to research the ferry connections carefully.

Weadles Oct 10th, 2006 03:11 AM

We stayed in one of the luxury hotels which I can't recommend. But if you search previous posts written by BROTHERLEELOVE2004, you'll find tons of suggestions and helpful advice. I think one of his recommendations in the past has been Lava Oia Traditional Houses, which really look very nice.

AllyPally Oct 10th, 2006 04:47 AM

Further to Heimdall's post, I think it is very possible to enjoy Santorini's beauty even during the high season. We visited for 6 days this past August, staying in Oia. We spent one afternoon in Fira and yes, it was very crowded. In Oia, it normally starts getting very crowded when the cruise ship excursions arrive, around 10.30-11am ish. I went for a walk one morning at 8am to take some photographs of the buildings and it was just me, some people cleaning their doorsteps and some elderly ladies making their way to church. If you are staying on one of the hotels on the caldera, you can expect fabulous views combined with wonderful tranquility. Anyway, I don't mind the crowds - adds to the people watching!

doug_stallings Oct 10th, 2006 05:11 AM

I think the lure of Mykonos is the sandy beaches and nightlife, while the lure of Santorini is the fabulous views and romantic atmosphere. I actually enjoyed both, but I can certainly see the problem some people have with Mykonos. However, if you just get out of town and out onto the island, you can find a lot of serenity there. But other, less-touristed islands also have nice sandy beaches.

KAT3R1NA Oct 11th, 2006 01:45 AM

When asking for such an advice, it is always helpful to mention the time of the year when you plan your trip.
I mean if you are planning on triping in the summertime, both islands are too crowdwed and especially in Mykonos one can hardly walk its streets. Santorini on the other hand is also very crowded but you will always have this feeling that the place gives you. You feel so insignificant in front of this nature's masterpiece...During the lowseason both islands are wonderful. Then you will manage to find serenity even in the cosmopolitan Mykonos.
But if I had to choose between the two, I am voting for Santorini. I think a week will be enough to join the island and know its beauties.

repete Oct 13th, 2006 06:33 PM

If you're looking for serenity AND having to choose between Santorini and Mykonos, then I'd say just head to Santorini (and don't stay right in Fira).

But allow me to mildly rant: There are some many other wonderful (and in many ways, better) options. There is so more more to the Greek Island (and the Cyclades) than the American tourism two-step of Mykonos and Santorini.

But if you haven't been to Santorini, go there, get a nice spot on the caldera (Oia or Imerogivli) and relax. It is a site everyone should see.

For me, however, Santorini was only worth a couple of days and it was nice to escape the tourism buzz and get to an island that doesn't live and die by catering to tourism and cruise boats.

Weadles Oct 13th, 2006 06:45 PM

repete,

Which island(s) did you visit?

HappyTrvlr Oct 13th, 2006 07:09 PM

I agree totally with repete. The only place filled with Americans was Santorini and there is so much more to Greece.

SuQue Oct 13th, 2006 07:33 PM

Mykonos Town was so pretty and didn't seem as packed as Fira and Oia. I vote for Mykonos.

repete Oct 14th, 2006 10:22 AM

I'm a pretty big Naxos fan, but Paros and Milos are great options. My Paros stop was far too short.

Haven't been to Folegrandros or Syros, but reliable friends say good things.

I've posted on Naxos many times, but if you don't have the time or inclination to explore, then it's probably not the best option. What I like is that it has a little bit of everything, plus the best beaches in the Cyclades.

But, that said, because I've only visited the Cyclades, I can't comment on the other fabulous island groups.

thanos_GR Oct 14th, 2006 01:25 PM

hello Baron7

Parhaps you visit both islands but I do not know when you come here and that makes big difference. The islands are very different but sometimes the same. Good and bad.

In our quiet season here as KAT3R1NA said Mykonos it is very peaceful and different to the madness of July and August. Some times we leave the island at this times as it is a crazy place. May, early June and late September early October are best, I think.

Mykonos will always welcome Americans so please, still come and visit us.

You know, sometimes it is not always about money. I do not work in tourist industry here so numbers of tourists and money spending make no difference to me. What is important for me is for visitors to have manners and be polite and respectful and they must always be treated with same manners, polite and respect by our local peoples.

I have never seen anything but this from American visitors but some other nationalities, well, they behave maybe not so good sometimes.

thanos