Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Santorini Princess vs Anastasis Apartments (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/santorini-princess-vs-anastasis-apartments-756238/)

na9101 Dec 10th, 2008 10:27 AM

Santorini Princess vs Anastasis Apartments

Hi all,
I'm planning my honeymoon for Santorini in August 2009. We've narrowed our hotel choices down to the Santorini Princess & the Anastasis Apartments.

Does anyone recommend one over the other? Any issues or things to watch out for?
Thanks!

brotherleelove2004 Dec 10th, 2008 11:01 AM

They're both very good hotels. The only issue I would bring up is their location. Although they're technically in Imerovigli they're actually further out on the road towards Oia, which means that they're not within easy walking distance to very much at all in the way of restaurants or shops. Look at Image 9 on this web page: http://www.santoriniprincess.com/images.php

The village in the distance on the left side of the photo is Imerovigli. Fira is out of range behind Imerovigli another mile. Anastasis is in the same general area as SP. For reference, Oia is about 5 miles from SP in the opposite direction.

Here's a map of the island for orientation: http://www.santorini-web.com/map.pdf

Fira is the closest village to Imerovigli with any nightlife and with a good selection of restaurants and shops. Fira is a mile from the center of Imerovigli, and if you don't have a car that means walking _uphill_ for a mile back to Imerovigli, and at least another 1/2-3/4 mile to Santorini Princess and Anastasis Apartments. If your budget allows for a rental car then that would take care of that problem but it provides a different challenge, as finding parking in any of the villages will be extremely difficult in August since it's the busiest time of the summer. Of course taxis and buses are available to help with this situation, but the buses might stop running earlier than you'd like when it comes to returning to your hotel at night, and taxis start to get very scarce after Midnight.

na9101 Dec 10th, 2008 11:46 AM

Brotherleelove,
Thanks for the information!

We are intentionally deciding not to stay in Fira, as everything I've read indicates that it is the most crowded area and we will be there during the high season. Also, we probably would not rent a vehicle since you stated that parking would be an issue. We would be OK relying on bus & taxi... Do you know what time the buses stop running?

Also, since it is going to be our honeymoon, we wanted our stay to be low-key, quiet & relaxing. ie We aren't really looking to party. That being said, do you feel that staying near Imerovigli would be too far from Fira & Oia in order enjoy the restaurants & shopping?

Ideally, we are looking to stay at a hotel of similar quality & price to SP & Anastasis, and one that offers views of both the caldera & the sunset. Are there any others you might recommend (in either Imerovigli or Oia)?

Thanks again.

brotherleelove2004 Dec 10th, 2008 12:06 PM

Not sure about the buses. Recently someone posted that in August there were some late buses back to Kamari Beach until 3:30 AM, but I really don't know about a bus back to Imerovigli. That's the same bus that goes to Oia, and as far as I know the last bus to Oia leaves Fira around 12:30 AM. You can check here, probably in June, for summer schedules, but any last-minute August additions probably won't be posted.

http://www.ktel-santorini.gr/

Imerovigli is the best location for "low-key, quiet & relaxing" coupled with views of both the caldera and sunset. In Oia you can check out Fanari Villas, Esperas and Golden Sunset Villas if both views are important to you. In Imerovigli village check On The Rocks and Xenones Filotera.

dfr4848 Dec 11th, 2008 05:22 AM

na - I'd suggest you also check out Alexander's Boutique Hotel in Oia. [www.alexandershotel.com]. We just got back from Greece day before yesterday and spent 3 nights at this hotel over Thanksgiving weekend. It was amazing.

We had the Imperial Suite - 2 BD, 1 BA, full kitchen, dining area and LR. Terrace had hot tub, 2 lounge chairs and table with 4 chairs. The hotel overlooks the caldera and we're convinced the view from our terrace is the subject of some of the posters you see for Santorini - very hard to adequately describe in words.

We were fortunate to have had great weather - sunny, blue skies and temps in the high 60s. The sunsets deserve their reputation.

Breakfast was served on the terrace by Alex's staff, including white table cloth, etc. Alex and his staff were absolutely top notch and couldn't have been more helpful. They had a bottle of local wine waiting for us on the terrace when we arrived. Alex is very hands on and took us to dinner 2 nights we were there to two excellent local restaurants (we paid for out own meals which were very reasonable).

Admittedly, we got a good deal since we were there in offseason (E140/night including breakfast), but we can't say enough good things about this place. I can't imagine a more romantic setting.

We rented a car because bus service is not frequent in the offseason, but taxis were plentiful, not expensive and the hotel staff said buses during the summer are very easy to use to get around the island.

travelerjan Dec 11th, 2008 08:06 AM

dfr, the original poster clearly said they are planning for AUGUST -- which is the peak of high season. Your lovely room at that time could be as much as 3 Times what you paid -- and from the postings so far, I think they are trying to get a room for much less than that. So it doesn't matter how wonderful Alexander's is -- its' beyond their chosen budget range.

brotherleelove2004 Dec 11th, 2008 08:53 AM

"I think they are trying to get a room for much less than that"

Not necessarily. No budget has been mentioned beyond "similar quality and price," and some of the rooms at Alexander's in August are in the same range as some of those at Anastasis and Santorini Princess.

The one possible drawback with staying at Alexander's, as good a hotel as it is, is that in August, because of the position of the sun in the sky, there won't be a sunset view. The other hotels in Oia I mentioned are the only ones with that location. Two more with the possibility of a sunset view (I just don't know for sure in August) are Ikies and Perivolas Villas.