Best Siena views

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Siena views

I have heard that the wait can be quite long to climb the Torre del Mangia and can be very crowded. I thought I saw somewhere that there is free admission to another bell near the Museo Della Opera which is much less frequented. I wonder if anyone has any info on this alternate option.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is not,as far as I know, Free, but there is a panoramic viewpoint at the top of what would have been the back wall of the cathederal, had they completed it. You reach it via the museo della opera. I thought it a better view than the Torre del Mangia (although this does have excellent views), and I had the viewpoint to myself for quite a while.

I was in Siena at the end of March - I have several photos at http://www.microbes.plus.com/Siena/

the views over Siena on the 2nd page are from the Torre, and those on the 3rd page are from the Museo.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Willit...I saw your beautiful photos a week or so ago...I too love the one of the monks!! I think it may be worth paying the admission to the Museum to have a lingering view of the countryside. I hear that it is quite crowded getting in and out of the Torre. Is it a shorter climb at the Museo Della Opera?
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Crazy, sorry - didn't mean to plug my photos again - just that it had the two viewpoints. The Torre del Mangia had a moderate queue and I had to wait about 15 minutes before starting the climb. It was quite crowded at the top, and was difficult to linger and take pictures without appearing to hog the views. Also there were a bunch of young Italians hollering at their friends in the Campo.

The Museo climb is a lot easier, except for the last section which is a spiral staircase. (Strangely it is a clockwise spiral - quite unusual) . When I climbed, it was already late - around 6pm, so no queues.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

I could look at your photos all day!! It makes me really anxious to see Siena first hand. Thanks for the info...I think we may head to the Museo first. The thought of 503 stairs on my second travel day is not appealing although it would help to burn some of the Gelati I intend to consume that day. The views look lovely from either vantage point so I don't think you could go wrong either way.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:45 AM

I do wonder about the 503 steps. I had this figure in mind when I started to climb. I am unfit and Asthmatic, so wanted to take it slowly. because of this, I waited at the back of the queue, and counted off the steps as I climbed. From the door of the ticket office to the main section of the tower I believe there were fewer than 250 steps. There are more stes to the highest point, and there is a reasonable climb from campo up to ticket office, but overall, it was not a bad climb.

the best value ticket is the integrated Duomo ticket that allows you into Duomo, Crypt, museum and baptistry for 10 euros . I used it over several days.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:49 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We saw the views from the Torre del mangia and tower in Museo Della Opera on our September trip. Great views from each vantage point. Burn those calories and do them both. I have photos from each on my blog (below). Have fun!

http://travelswithmaitaitom.typepad.com/travels/

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

I will only have 4 or 5 hours in Siena but may consider the combined admission ticket as those are some of the main points of interest. 10 Euros seems to be a bargain for all of the above.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Maitaitom....I have read your report over and over and get such a chuckle every time. I hadn't seen the version with your photos though and that has really fuelled my excitement as I am visiting most of the same places in Tuscany and Umbria. Your report was full of great ideas and some good reminders about what can go wrong and how to handle it with grace.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:58 AM

I think it was 6 Euros each to get into the museum and the Duom, so 1 combined ticket will already save you €2. The crypt is interesting because a) it is not a crypt and b) it was covered in earth and rubble for 500 years, with nobody knowing it was there.

Maitaitom - I really enjoyed your travel blog - I had started it before I went to Italy, but not finished. It makes more sense now I know some of the place to which you are referring.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 12:02 PM

With that short a time, the combo ticket with the Duomo and Museo Della Opera seems like the best bet. Skip the 503 stairs and have a Grappa instead. And don't forget to meander over to the church where you can view Catherine's head in a case (might want the Grappa before that).
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 12:10 PM

does anyone know the name of the church where Catherine's head is?
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 12:16 PM

"does anyone know the name of the church where Catherine's head is? "

San Domenico, if my grappa-impaired memory serves me correctly.

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Got to leave it to the Europeans...they have such a morbid sense of curiousity and you got to like that!! I could not believe the display of art made with the bones from Capuchin monks in Rome at the Church of the Immaculate Conception. It was so decreative that you almost forgot that it was made from bones. There were even light fixtures. We could never get away with such displays here.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

In case you haven't seen the Capucin Monks in Rome..this link will help. It is truly facinating.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/tapholov/pages/bones.html

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the info. I was going to take my niece to see a head in a church in Ireland and we couldn't find the church. Iwas surprised she wanted to see it but she is really into science and art and only 8 years old. Thanks again
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 07:09 PM

Hi Maitatom,

Your blog is unbelievable! I enjoyed it so much!

I'm heading to bella Roma( by way of Lucca, Firenze and Venezia) and I have taken note of some of the restaurants you visited, especially Enoteca Trastevere. I want to try that dessert!!! Mille grazie!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 07:23 PM

Hi Maitatom, I just saw your blog posted here along with the photos. That will be great reading this weekend!! I so enjoyed your trip report here on Fodor's.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:27 PM

"especially Enoteca Trastevere. I want to try that dessert!!!"

I can taste it in my mind (and I think I still have chocolate on my nose from licking the plate. Enjoy!