Santorini or Crete late Feb. ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2018, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Egypt in Feb. 2019. We had planned a beach holiday but Egypt seems to be calling loudly right now, so we are considering changing to visit there sooner rather than later. We have just over a month planned away, and don't want to spend all of that in Egypt so want to plan a trip at the end somewhere nearby. I realize that it won't be beach weather, but looking at a few days in Athens before Egypt and then to an island for 6 nights after Egypt.

Santorini is what is really calling me, but wondering if all the shops and restaurants will be closed up. I will get a place with a kitchen, have one picked out in Oia, so would like a grocery store or two to shop at.

Second choice would be Crete, but not as big of a pull as Santorini. We will rent a car in either case (unless advised otherwise). We will spend most of our time relaxing, I will bring art supplies, my husband his guitar and just chill for a week before going home, with a bit of exploring about and maybe an easy hike here and there if weather allows. We aren't into night life any more too much.

Is this a crazy idea? Other option is Portugal but it looks like the weather is pretty much the same as Greece for the last week of February.
Thanks for any direction and help on this.
Debbe from Canada.
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 10:38 PM

You might still get some beach time if you include a Red Sea resort in your trip to Egypt. My daughter has been to Sharm el Sheikh several times in winter for sunbathing scuba diving on the coral reefs.

It has been known to snow on Crete and Santorini in February, but that happens only every few years or so. Were I to go to Santorini in winter I would stay in Fira where more things are open. The island is only 11 miles long and about 3 miles across at its widest point, and Fira is the hub. Crete is the largest island in Greece and has a sizeable permanent population.
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 06:24 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
If you stay in Chania Crete more places will be open as it has a majority of permanent residents.
in addition to February weather, Sanotorini isn’t known for it’s beaches. Other islands have much better ones.
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both. We were not thinking of beach for the visit, just relaxing and sightseeing. Hoping for not too much rain and wind. I know that no one can predict that no matter what the season. Heimdall we will be spending our last week in Egypt at Hurghada at a small resort and if lucky will get some swimming and snorkelling in there. Our original trip was a month in Hawaii, but this will be a very different trip for sure. Swimming would be great if it happens but even in Hawaii in feb. you can get bad weather.
If we rent a car in Santorini does it really matter where we stay?
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 08:05 AM

What about Cyprus? Egypt Air has daily direct flights from Cairo to Larnaca (flight time 1 1/2 hrs).
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Neckervd. I will look into that.