Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Santorini or Amalfi Coast Wedding -Need Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/santorini-or-amalfi-coast-wedding-need-help-905635/)

ananeele02 Sep 9th, 2011 05:38 PM

Santorini or Amalfi Coast Wedding -Need Help

My fiance and I have decided to bypass the traditional wedding and have a ceremony with just the two of us somewhere scenic and romantic. We aren't really concerned about the whole legalities of it (we're willing to get officially married here in the states at the courthouse first although it would be nice to make it official at our ceremony), and it won't be a religious ceremony. What we really want is a beautiful, romantic spot that we will remember forever and we would like it to be nearby where we hope to honeymoon. We've narrowed down our search to the Mediterranean area, but are limited to only what we can research online (which is pretty overwhelming).

Our ideal wedding ceremony location is on top of a cliff or mountain top overlooking the water and then we'd like to spend a week long honeymoon sightseeing, trying new things, and being active. After researching, the closest areas that matched what we were looking for were Santorini and the Amalfi Coast. We were drawn to Santorini for its beauty, but we liked Italy for the location and how easy it would be to travel after the honeymoon.

Basically, could I get some advice on what area is probably the best choice for a ceremony that matches our personality and, if you know, more specifically the best area in that region for a ceremony like that. And, in regards to the Amalfi Coast, which area? I've heard Positano?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

bobthenavigator Sep 9th, 2011 05:45 PM

I love Italy and have taken 17 trips there over the years. We just went back to the AC last year for the 3rd time.
However, the most dramatic spectacular place I have ever seen is Oia on Santorini. So, let me offer 3 options:
1. Oia, Santorini
2. Positano, Italy
3. Taormina, Sicily

Click on my name to see trip reports and pics for the latter two.

ananeele02 Sep 9th, 2011 05:51 PM

Thanks! What would you recommend as an itinerary for a honeymoon? Would a Positano, Naples, Pompeii, other parts of Italy be the only possible thing to do or do you think it could be possible to go from Oia to Italy. Obviously the ceremony destination would be the starting point. I think that makes it trickier.

tuscanlifeedit Sep 9th, 2011 06:28 PM

I don't think you would want to do both Santorini and somewhere in Italy on the same short trip.

Don't forget that you will have to get to Santorini, an island, then probably back to mainland Greece then to Italy. Maybe not great for a one week trip.

I think one country or the other makes more sense for one trip.

That said, I don't see why you couldn't have a great ceremony in either Greece or Italy, followed by a wonderful honeymoon for a week in the same country.

Of course, Santorini then Italy is possible, but doesn't really seem like an inefficient way to see either place.

Weadles Sep 9th, 2011 06:36 PM

You don't say when you are planning to get married. But if it's during the busy summer months ( June-early September), you may find it difficult to locate an intimate setting on the AC or in Oia that is not overrun with tourists. And you'd have to plan it way ahead. We've found that the best time to visit Greece is late May-early June. You miss most of the summer crowds, the weather is beautiful, and it's not unbearably hot. The same is true for the AC, which I think is even more crowded than Greece during the summer.

And a FYI- I'm pretty sure it's impossible to fly from Santorini to any destination in Italy. You'd have to backtrack to Athens, either by plane or ferry/hydrofoil, then take another plane to Naples ( if that's still offered) or Rome. From Naples, you can arrange a private car to Positano or take a train to Sorrento, then a boat or bus. It's doable, but a lot of traveling!

ananeele02 Sep 9th, 2011 10:32 PM

Oh! Late May, early June, but the dates are negotiable depending on price. I've also started looking in Tuscany.....I'm so indecisive....

isabel Sep 10th, 2011 04:29 AM

I completely agree with Bob's three suggestions.

I think Oia in Santorini is the most dramatic of the three but in mid summer it was also the most crowded of the three (I've been to all, in different years, but all in July). Also, if you want to spend the whole honeymoon (a week? more?) in the same place, there is less to do on Santorini than in the Italy locations.

I also have trip reports for all three of those locations if you click on my name it will bring them up. My photos are at http://www.pbase.com/annforcier

bobthenavigator Sep 10th, 2011 04:58 AM

If you did Positano I would include Naples.
If Santorini, Athens.
If Taormina, Palermo.

To get inspired, look at all of Isabels[ Ann] images--she is good.

clausar Sep 10th, 2011 07:03 AM

if Santorini, i would add Mykonos as well....

Sorry but didn't find Naples that exciting....is it just me?

HappyTrvlr Sep 10th, 2011 07:17 AM

Wherever you plan your wedding, make sure that you and your ceremony will be respected and that the area around it will be quiet. We were among many guests at an upscale hotel in Oia,Santorini who were very upset by what occurred during a wedding there. The bride and groom and their officiant stood up on bluff in view of guests at the pool. The bartender kept using the blender to make drinks, staff talked loudly and blared rock music. This couple had come half way around the world to have their wedding ceremony. We all complained to the hotel about this and hopefully they have taken measures to insure that future ceremonies won't be ruined.

jelopez33 Sep 10th, 2011 08:55 AM

Ekscrunchy: I know you leave for Italy in a few days; enjoy your trip and some sfogiatelle and baba!!

jelopez33 Sep 10th, 2011 08:57 AM

oopssss intended to be posted in another post,sorry!!!

ExpertoItaly Sep 11th, 2011 11:23 PM

Hi

My vote is for the Amalfi Coast. You can have your ceremony at the Relais Oasi Olimpia, in Sant'Agata sui due Golfi. The hotel is an aristocratic villa of the 18th century turned in to a 12 rooms boutique hotel only 3-4 mins walk from the town.

The town's name translates St Agata on the two gulfs because of its location at 400m above sea right in between the Amalfi Coast (Gulf of Salerno) and the Gulf of Naples.

It is one of the most panoramic spot in the area and a strategic location to travel around.

http://www.santagatasuiduegolfi.it/inglese/index.htm

http://expertoitaly.com/Details/Oasi...ia-Relais.html

clausar Sep 12th, 2011 12:27 AM

<<The hotel is an aristocratic villa of the 18th century turned in to a 12 rooms boutique hotel>>

The aristocratic villa of the 18th century, looks on the pictures of the link you gave, like an ugly italian building of the 50's/60's.......

mariha2912 Sep 14th, 2011 01:51 AM

Personaly, although many people are doing this, and will continue do it, I am completely against arranging a wedding somewhere you haven't set a foot before. How can you know a location is suitable for you if you haven't be there? Just by internet pictures and what others say ? It is a different thing having visited a place a few times, like it, experience it, have develop some sort of bond with the place, than arrange to get wed there based on what wedding planners, fellow travelers and hotel owners suggest. Even if other people advice on good faith, how can you know something suitable for me is suitable for you? People have different tastes and you can not kn ow if you like a place or not if you haven't been there. An important occasion such as a wedding, deserves more personal investigation and less risk than this.
Just my personal opinion.

Griffy Oct 19th, 2011 10:14 AM

Being someone who had a destination wedding in a place where I had never visited before, I have to disagree with you Mariha. I also would say that the 65 people who travelled with us, none of them had been there either (Huatulco, mexico), and everyone had the best week. If you are easy going and ok with things not going perfectly (because you cant plan every detail yourself) then a destination is perfect! Very exciting to pick b/w AC or santorini, both would be amazing! Congrats!

mariha2912 Oct 20th, 2011 02:42 AM

Each to their own Griffy. And I agree that if you are easygoing, it may be fine. But I 've seen many people having unpleasant experiences on Santorini, then blaming wedding planners, hoteliers and everyone rather than themselves. (Of course I've seen equally very pleased newly weds on the same place). It is a personal call, and I just said my personal opinion on my previous thread. It's a personal decision : )

Griffy Oct 20th, 2011 08:05 AM

I agree its a personal decision, and one that ana already made so I was just giving positive feedback in response to yours. No sense in telling her your opinion of it being a bad idea when they have already decided to get married in santorini or AC. She is asking for someone to help their decision in planning where to get married, not asking peoples opinions of destination weddings.

mariha2912 Oct 20th, 2011 09:57 AM

Yes, but her plans are not set in stone yet, so no harm to add some food for thought : )

Elyse_Dorm Oct 20th, 2011 10:44 AM

Although, Santorini is the most romantic place I have ever been, I would still pick Amalfi Coast for a honeymoon- just so I won't have to see Athens before and after my trip.