Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Santorini -- International Driving Permit Requirements

Apr 4th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

We will be leaving for Santorini in 3 weeks and I'm not able to find a definitive answer on whether or not we need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to rent a car and/or scooter. Does anyone know if an IDP is required in Greece? Thanks!
Apr 4th, 2005, 10:51 AM

You're probably not going to get a definitive answer because so many rental companies don't require one. But if you do get in an accident or are stopped by the police and one is required and you don't have it, you'll be facing whatever consequences result. So why not just get one from AAA and put the worry to rest?
Apr 5th, 2005, 10:30 AM

I've just returned from Santorini this past weekend. While there, we rented a car and no one ever asked us about having an IDP. It's a very easy place to drive and we found a car to be essential to get around and not be confined. There are several agencies on the island and our hotel arranged ours for us. The delivered it and picked it up for us. Cost was $30 euros a day + $5 euros for insurance which we took just to be safe.
Apr 5th, 2005, 11:14 AM

The following is a direct quote from the US Department of State Webpage from the Greek Consulate (you can find the same information elsewhere):

"Drivers must carry a valid U.S. license as well as an international driver's permit (IDP). Failure to have both documents may result in police detention or other problems."

Many people scoff at this saying "I didn't need one". Well, lucky they weren't stopped. The question isn't whether or not the car rental agency asks you to show one. The LAW is made by the Greek government. If you don't get stopped you "don't need one". If you DO get stopped, you'll probably wish you had one as the law requires.
As I've said many times, you don't really NEED any auto insurance either (if you never have an accident or get stopped), so why bother to get it?

Paying $10 to $20 to meet the law by getting one at AAA is hardly worth breaking the law for and taking your chances now, is it?
Apr 5th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies, everyone. Part of my concern was also timing since we're leaving soon and I failed to think about this preparation earlier. I called AAA and was told it would only take about 15 minutes to issue. Think I'll make the trek to AAA for peace of mind...would rather have one and not "need" it than be stopped and not have one. Thanks!