Santorini in a day

Old Jan 7th, 2019, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Santorini in a day

SAdly a day is what we have as we are on a cruise.
Hoping someone can answer a few questions.
is it possible to walk from the cruise port to Oia? I know we have to take the funicular to the top (or ride donkeys) but once at the top, is walking practical and worth the time it would take?
if not what is best way of getting around that is NOT an excursion.
if you had only one day in Santorini, how would you spend it?
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 03:59 PM

It is possible to walk but it will take quite a while (I think about 3 hours each way) so unless you like to hike it isn't the best use of time. There is a public bus that does the route about every 20 minutes (and it takes about 20 minutes to get from Fira to Oia). The bus stop in Fira is about a 10 minute walk from the top of the funicular - just walk inland (away from the caldera) till you get to the car road/main square - bus station is at the end of the square.

It is worth walking towards Oia through the villages (which really blend into Fira) of Imerovigli and Firostefani. But to walk all the way to Oia would probably not leave you with enough time to explore Oia and Fira.

Here's my photos - https://andiamo.zenfolio.com/p408955410
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 12:52 AM

There is a boat that meets cruise ship passengers at the tender dock and takes them directly to Amoudi, the little port below Oia. From Oia you can walk or take the bus back to Fira. That avoids taking the cable car up to Fira, but you will still have to do that to get back to the tender dock at the end of the day. Don't ride the donkeys whatever you do!
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Do you know if it's possible to tak boat in opposite direction...Oia to Fira?
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 10:28 AM

There is no water taxi service from Oia back to the tender dock.

PLEASE DON'T RIDE THE POOR ABUSED DONKEYS!
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 10:33 AM

If I had only a day in Santorini, I would take the boat to Amoudi in Oia; I would then hike Oia to Fira because I just adore that hike. Like mentioned it will take you at least 3 hours. But the landscape is amazing. I would stop for lunch on the way to Fira, either in Imerovigli or Firostefani, avoid all of Fira except for the museum, and go back to your ship.
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 10:56 AM

isabel those are amazing photos.

I'm planning a trip to Greece in Oct. I had thought about doing a cruise, but at that time of year, you get to Santorini about 4:30pm and leave a few hours later. Doesn't seem to be enough time to see anything. So now I may take a ferry. How many days would spend on Santorini at that time of year? 2?

Thanks!
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 12:51 PM

I've never been in October, but regardless of time of year I think 3 nights is about right. That's enough time to explore both Fira and Oia and one or two of the inland villages. Most people (myself included) don't go to Santorini for the beach but rather the view, and that's the same summer or fall.
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 01:25 PM

Lisakinnear, it's much better to stay on each island for a few nights rather than visit for a few hours by cruise ship. Santorini is a longish 8 hour ferry ride from Athens (Piraeus), so it's better to fly there rather than go by ferry. Since you are already in the vicinity, you could combine Santorini with Naxos or Paros, two islands I have visited many times.

One way you could do it is to fly directly to Santorini, then take a ferry from there to Naxos or Paros, both on the route back to Athens. From either Naxos or Paros you have a choice of flight or ferry to Athens. Paros has a larger airport with more flights than Naxos. Blue Star Ferries to Athens takes 5 hours from Naxos and 4 hours from Paros. The flights take about 45 minutes from gate to gate.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 11:52 AM

Heimdal and isabel Thank you so much for your very helpful responses. I like the idea of flying both ways and maybe including one of the other islands you recommended. I had read on the forum that it is recommended to arrive or depart by water to see the view of the whole caldera and the buildings, but that doesn't seem like it matters. Thanks again for taking the time to respond!
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 01:19 PM

Lisakinnear, if you take Blue Star from Santorini to Naxos or Paros you will be departing by water. Blue Star sails through the caldera, leaving it as the ship passes below Oia. There are other islands it passes by as well, so it’s a good idea to stay on the open deck to take in the views. You can still fly back to Athens from either Naxos or Paros.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 03:55 PM

Heimdal Thanks!
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 06:28 AM

Please don't ride donkeys.
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 08:20 AM

alexwaltner90 Don't worry, Alex, I would never ride the donkeys
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 11:16 AM

I will be staying in Firostefani for 2-3 nights; from there- what are some ways to reach Amoudi? (i am in my 40-s but not overly sporty or edge of cliff adventurous (rim walk w kids in Grand Canyon scared the heck out of me )) so not sure if can handle the walk to Oia and steps down/up?..
also...when arriving in Santorini by a ferry from another island- is the only way up via a funicular or there are taxis? thank you in advance
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 01:48 PM

If you arrive by ferry from another island, you'll go to the modern port (Only the cruise ships anchor outside the Old Port, and are obliged to get Up top via cable car). The Modern plort has taxis and regular bus service. As far as Amoudi goes, I have heard there are taxis available... have not myself spent the time to go down. As for getting from Firostephani to OIA, you must not have investigated beyond forum posts; try a guidebook or google inquiry for fast answer: There is a bus stop right on the main road of Firostephani, inland a few steps from the rimside hotels... ask your hotel desk for timetable. Busses are hourly in May - perhaps 1/2 hour in High Season. Have change when you board.
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 02:02 PM

I would see Oia, visit Amoudi Bay for lunch and then go to Akrotiri to visit the ancient site.
Your ship will moor at sea and tenders will take you to the island, dropped off down below the famous cliffs. There is a gondola that goes up and down. There usually are long lines to get back down so be aware of time. Santorini is not known for itís beaches, rather for itís views from cliff top locations overlooking the caldera.
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 04:45 PM

Thank you @Travelerjan. i am hoping i could walk but reviews of that trail are mixed)) please don't send me to google)) its my middle name. i am a travel blogger and obsessed planner- i spend days and hours on it but it's never easy to filter the info hence i like this Forum for more sophisticated/filtered advice from you and others
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 07:37 PM

@Weekend, it was not clear what you wanted to do.... and to advise best about walks, we'd need to know what other islands you will have visited -- because there are other islands that offer fine hiking opportunities that are not as strenuous or do not take as long as the Oia-Fira trek. I have hiked in Naxos, Paros, Sifnos, Serifos, Milos, Kea, Amorgos and more, and various places in the Peloponnese .. walks of 1-2 hours, very satisfying, so have been content to take the bus from Oia to Fira and look out the window! Your choice.
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 07:13 PM

@travelerjan- so it's a hike not a walk then? i want to understand how strenuous it is to walk it from Firestefani to Oia. thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO