Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Santorini Hotel Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/santorini-hotel-questions-661527/)

samtraveler Nov 29th, 2006 08:30 PM

Santorini Hotel Questions

I'm looking to book my Santorini hotel for June. I was thinking about the Aspaki suites, but the two that fit our price range, Romeo & Juliet and Deep Blue, have a connecting door. I normally avoid rooms with connecting doors because so often the noise through the doors from the connecting unit is loud even when folks next door aren't being unusually loud. Can anyone who has stayed in these particular units at Aspaki tell me what their experience was?

Another option we're considering is the Espera Traditional Houses. I'm having trouble figuring out the differences in their room types. We're looking specifically at the Traditional House room type and wondered what is the difference between the Traditional House and the Traditional Superior House? What do you get for the extra money (24 euros per night)? And then what’s the difference between the Traditional House and the 2-person Traditional Villa? Also I've read some complaining about balconies there not being private. I really do not want a room where other guests need to walk through my balcony to get to theirs. Any info on that?

brotherleelove2004 Nov 29th, 2006 10:17 PM

I hope to be staying at the Aspaki next May/June as well. It's a fantasstic location and a wonderful group of rooms. When I toured it last year I didn't notice the connecting door. I understand your concern and hope you get an answer here. Perhaps "Mileaday" has an answer and will chime in here.............

As far as I can determine, the main difference between the Traditional House and the Traditional Superior House seems to be the configuration of the sleeping arrangements. Some of the Traditional Superior Houses have separate bedrooms, implying that they are behind a door, while the Traditional Houses have sleeping lofts open to the living room area. I toured this property as well last year and although I don't remember a lot of room detail I do remember being very impressed with the quality of every room I inspected, and I believe I was shown just about every room type. The only Traditional Villas I saw were two-bedroom villas, not two-person villas. Also, there are one-bedroom suites. Did I miss something? Overall, I think you will not be disappointed no matter which villa/suite/studio/house you choose.

endlessummer Nov 30th, 2006 01:56 AM

Esperas is lovely and I have stayed there before. Some balconies are more private than others but all face the amazing sunset view. The best room at Esperas is Room 121, which I believe is a Traditional Superior House. To get an idea, check the review & photos posted by "designj" on TripAdvisor. This room really is lovely because it is much more private than the others - no one will walk through your balcony. The best thing is that you have stairs which take you directly down to the pool area so you don't need to engage in the early morning scramble for space by the pool. You can simply return to your enormous terrace (with sun loungers and a comfy inbuilt bed) and have complete privacy. It is right next to the restaurant but you are hidden around the corner so no one will see you. This is a loft room with the bed built into the cave - you will hear NOTHING when you sleep. The living room and kitchen are open plan and VERY bright. The bathroom is nice but has no bath, just a shower stall. It has a little window that looks down towards the harbour below. This happens to be the room that the Esperas bartender lives in during the off-season. He says it's the best room. If you book it, get him to show you the various shortcuts out of the property.

I can't say about Aspaki but they do look very nice. I see Endless Blue featured in magazines and advertisements all the time.

You should note that both hotels are on different sides of Oia. Esperas does not have a view of the volcano.

mileaday Nov 30th, 2006 08:58 AM

Hi Samtraveler, I stayed in the Romeo and Juliet suite this past Sept. and loved it. There is a connecting door in the kitchen but we heard absolutely no noise from next door (don't know if they ever heard us). There was also a couple above us and we heard nothing from there either. The walls are extremely thick and seem to be soundproof. They do have tvs and cd players in the bedrooms and we played music through the open windows while we sat on the terrace and took in the incredible view. The two terraces are next to each other but separated by a gate. The room is lovely and even nicer than it looks on the website. I don't think you could beat the location and the views from the terrace are incredible. They have full kitchens and a jacuzzi tub but no pool. But if you are interested in swimming you can hike down the steps to the wharf and swim in the sea. You will be in the middle of Oia but the house is very private as it sits out on the edge of the cliff and has a private entrance. I'm sure you would enjoy your stay and if you have any more questions, let me know.

samtraveler Nov 30th, 2006 12:36 PM

Thanks to you all for the very specific and helpful info. I'm feeling quite torn between the two properties. I really appreciate the info on noise and privacy, since we're really looking for peace and relaxation and a good night's sleep--no partying for us. I don't have a good handle on the geography of Oia or which side of the town has the better view. I'm feeling a bit odd considering booking a Suite dubbed Romeo & Juliet since this is a girls retreat. Sounds like a place to stay with my husband and not my best friend! Also the view from the R & J Suite appears to be a bit better than the Deep Blue unit since it looks like you have a spectacular view of the town (those famous blue domes, etc.). The gate between the Deep Blue terrace and the R & J terrace is a bit of a downside. I was hoping for more privacy than just a gate. Any other properties you think I should consider or is this the best in Oia for around $300 a night?

samtraveler Nov 30th, 2006 02:19 PM

Endless, are you designj who posted the review and pictures on TA? Or how do you know for certain this is room #121? Is there just one bed in this room? We were hoping for a room with two beds. Maybe for that we realy need the Villa type room. As you can see, I'm figuring this out as I go! Thanks for the help!

endlessummer Dec 1st, 2006 12:57 AM

Hi Sam - I have stayed at Esperas several times, twice in Room 121. It wasn't my post on TA but they are the best pics I know of. I have stayed in a studio and one of their suites and have also seen some of the other rooms. I didn't realise you are with your best friend - unfortunately Room 121 only has a double bed but there is a mattress thingy in the open plan living room which also doubles as a bed. I believe they sell this as a 3 person room. If you give me your email address, I would be happy to email you some photos from home over the weekend.

One of things I find difficult about Oia is recommending any one place over another. Unless you are a really picky person or on honeymoon, etc, it's the sort of place where your surroundings are so utterly captivating that where you stay becomes a minor issue. When I first visited Esperas, we stayed in a suite because it was a special trip. The room was large with a jacuzzi. However, I found that I didn't want to be in the room that much and therefore the jacuzzi and the extra space became redundant. It wasn't worth the extra expense. Your biggest decision will be at what time you can drag yourself away from the view to buy that bottle of rosé for €4!!

I wouldn't advise Aspaki over Esperas or vice versa. Both will be equally charming with the most jaw-dropping views. You can't go wrong with either. For me personally, a pool is essential but a jacuzzi on the deck would do nicely - just somewhere to cool off. To get down to the water is a major trip, whether it's Armeni (below Aspaki) or Ammoudi (below Esperas). Ammoudi is the one you want to visit, btw. This is lined with fisherman's cafés serving delicious seafood and Greek snacks. Not cheap but perfect after a day in the water!

The one thing I DO like about Esperas is you are below the castle where everyone gathers to watch the sunset. Once the sun has gone down, everyone breaks into a applause. It really is a lovely the moment the first time you experience it..

brotherleelove2004 Dec 1st, 2006 09:29 AM

One more thing to keep in mind when choosing a hotel is the view. Esperas has an unobstructed view of the sunset but their view of the caldera is partially blocked by other parts of the village. Aspaki has a fantastic caldera view but no sunset view. That doesn't mean that you can't enjoy the sunset, just that you can't see the sun drop behind the horizon.

nevertooold Dec 1st, 2006 09:55 AM

Brothrlee - we are hopeful of staying at Anastasis next summer - do you (or anybody else) know of the caldera/sunset view situation at this hotel?

Thanks.

samtraveler Dec 1st, 2006 10:05 AM

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I'm going to go with Esperas. Now I'm trying to settle on a room. I've been in contact with Yvonne (very helpful) who indicates that the only room types with two beds are the Villas, just as you mentioned, Endless. She has emailed with two of the villa's room description, rooms 116 and 120. Does anyone have any specific info on these two rooms? I'm ready to just pick one, but a first-hand account would be nice. I would love to see more pics, [email protected]. Many thanks!

brotherleelove2004 Dec 1st, 2006 10:57 AM

Nevertooold--

You can see from this website: http://www.santorini.com/hotels/anastasis/index.html that the caldera view is excellent, and that you will be able to watch the sunset in the distance out past Oia at the end of the island. Depending on the position of the sun in the sky you might not actually be able to see the sun drop behind the horizon, but you'll have an excellent view of the light changing on the island and in the sky.

nevertooold Dec 1st, 2006 11:11 AM

Thanks so much, Brotherle.....certainly wish that I could see it at this moment, live....

brotherleelove2004 Dec 1st, 2006 01:09 PM

Me too! ;-)