Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Santorini - help!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/santorini-help-514893/)

GM_Sheps Mar 22nd, 2005 12:32 PM

Santorini - help!!

I am planning to go to Santorini at the end May / beginning of June and have a number of questions. Firstly, how hot will it be? My husband is worried that it will be too cool for a sun holiday. Secondly, I thought I had found a reasonable hotel for under €100 per night in Imerovigli - the Hotel Eltheon - but I have found a couple of conflicting reviews. Has anyone stayed there and what did they think? Or has anyone any reasonably priced alternative hotels to suggest in Imerovigli?

mimipam Mar 22nd, 2005 12:56 PM

Hi GM,
It has been a long time since I was in Santorini. We did an Agean cruise. I believe we were there in the summer. The weather was warm. Be sure to visit Akritori (sp). It was most interesting. Only in Mykonos did I get in the water and it was cold but hey, I'm from Texas where our water is more like bathwater. I do think you will be able to enjoy the sun and even the water if you don't mind a little chill.
Happy travels!

brotherleelove2004 Mar 22nd, 2005 02:16 PM

The end of May is the perfect time for Santorini "weather-wise." It will be nice and sunny, and warm but not boiling hot like it gets in July-August. Tell your husband to put his doubts to rest.

Meet me in Oia for a drink! Ask at Karvounis Tours for Lee Marks.

Mikki123 Mar 22nd, 2005 02:39 PM

GM - Do you have to stay in Imerovigli? We stayed in Oia and loved it. We stayed at the Atlantis Villas - it was perfect! (We also stayed at Villa Vedema which was inland and a totally different experience but just as wonderful). I would highly recommend Oia. We also rented a car and traveled to Akrotiri - which was really interesting.

brotherleelove2004 Mar 22nd, 2005 02:43 PM

FYI -- the Atlantis Villas are no more. They have been absorbed into the Katikies Hotel/Villas/Suites property.

angeliki Mar 22nd, 2005 02:50 PM

Is Akrotiri open yet? Was such a disappointment 4 years ago. Putting the roof on and most of the site closed down. Probably one of the biggest disappointments of our trip.

Mikki123 Mar 22nd, 2005 03:07 PM

I think we were in Oia in 1999 or 2000. Well if Atlantis has changed hands - Ktikies would be worth looking into.

Re: Akrotiri - we are not archeological buffs or anything at all - but we found it interesting.

The people of Santorini were among the kindest we have ever met travelling.

brotherleelove2004 Mar 22nd, 2005 03:50 PM

I have tried, but so far I cannot confirm that the construction of an enclosure at Akrotiri is finished. Until I do I will assume it is still in progress. I do think, however, that there is still a partial tour available (assuming it's not fully operational).

repete Mar 22nd, 2005 11:13 PM

If you can get up to 135E, Sunny Villas is very nice. Artemis goes for 113 until the 25th of May and then goes to 130.

Generally, you get a bit more for your money in Imerovigli than Oia IMHO.

(BTW, even if the Atlantis was still around, you'd never get it for anything near the OP's target of 100 these days -- and you certainly won't get a sniff at Katikies for that rate.)

GM_Sheps Mar 23rd, 2005 12:00 AM

Thanks for the reassurance weather wise. I am keen to stay in Imerovigli - has anybody any info/views on the Eltheon Hotel??

GM_Sheps Mar 23rd, 2005 05:31 AM

I have now booked Artemis following your recommendation, so thanks!

Hopefully it will be a fabulous weeks holiday!

repete Mar 23rd, 2005 07:25 PM

Just to be cautious, that's the Artemis Villas Imerogvigli, right? There is another Artemis, the Hotel Artemis in Perissa.

Imerovigli is great. The Imerovigli Taverna and the Skaros Taverna are both wonderful with stunning views. If you like hiking, the trail to the Skaros is easier than it looks. It's a relaxing, beautiful place.

GM_Sheps Mar 24th, 2005 12:13 AM

I've definitely booked the one in Imerovigli - you had me worried there for a moment!

We will most definitely test out the tavernas and the hiking trail sounds lovely - am sure we can manage it having hiked up Table Mountain in November!!

repete Mar 24th, 2005 06:57 PM

Woo, I was hoping my lack of clarity didn't mess up your plans ... glad to hear it.

taggie Mar 24th, 2005 09:09 PM

GM there's a great place to watch the sunset in Imerovigli... on the terrace outside the church underneath the Blue Note Taverna.
Santorini is a magical place. Enjoy!

spring_honeymoon Mar 24th, 2005 09:40 PM

what is a high end hotel/inn/villa in santorini?

brotherleelove2004 Mar 25th, 2005 08:00 AM

spring_honeymoon- Katikies, Perivolas, Sun Rocks, Esperas, Oia Mare, Santorini Princess.

keck211 Dec 31st, 2005 06:54 AM

GM- Did you end up staying at the Hotel Eltheon? I'm trying to find out about it, and like you, could not find any detailed reviews. Please let me know where you stayed/ what you thought. Thanks!

ekscrunchy Dec 31st, 2005 07:19 AM

Akrotiri had a roof collapse when I was there in September. The site was closed for a time for repairs.