Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   santorini greece cliffside hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/santorini-greece-cliffside-hotels-532556/)

weluvgus May 29th, 2005 08:48 AM

santorini greece cliffside hotels

advice or suggestions for staying in one of the cliffside hotel/s villas in santorini? we would like to sstay within a budget of around $300.00 per nite if possible. atmosphere and room comfort view are essential.

polly229 May 29th, 2005 04:38 PM

I wouldn't think you'd have any trouble finding something for $300 a night. I was hoping for closer to $100 and night and found a small place for under that, Villa Lukas, which I believe has 5 or 6 units. Was there for 3 days week before last. It was a traditional cliff house, a one room "apartment" with a double bed, table and chairs, kitchenette, and sofa that could be used as a 3rd bed if needed. Bathroom typically budget European, smallish and with hand-held shower head, which was the biggest negative as far as I'm concerned, but bearable. Basic cooking facilities and equipment, but I don't go on vacation to cook my own meals anyway. Large private patio with a table and chairs. Spacious, comfortable, and clean but not luxurious. Our room looked exactly like the picture on the Villa Lukas website, so I assume all the others did as well. At the top of the cliffs, so there wasn't a lot of step climbing to get "out" of the hotel. Nor was there much noise or many people around. Great watching the sunset from the patio or having morning coffee while watching the ferries go in and out and Santorini come to life. My daughter stayed in Uranos Houses a couple of years before, which I gather are similar but somewhat more expensive and are about 5 min. closer to Fira.

I know a lot of people on this forum rave about some of the upscale Santorini hotels, but I wasn't willing to pay the premium prices for the luxury. I stayed in Imerovigli at the urging of my daughter because it is the highest point on the island. The views were certainly great, I think more impressive than Oia and Fira, but we were about as far from Fira as you can be in Imerovigli. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it unless you get a car. We didn't plan to, thought we'd take buses, but after 24 hrs. I told my husband that I had climbed the hill back to Imerovigli for the last time, that I'd be riding back next time. And I'm glad we got the car (a small one from Budget for 25 Euros a day) despite some getting lost because of poor signage. (Though not as bad as parts of Crete.)

After spending an evening in Oia I can understand some people's preference for it. There's a more upscale atmosphere than in Fira, Firastefani, and Imerovigli. But I preferred the remoteness and quiet of Imerovigli (do you suppose no one else was staying at Villa Lukas? - the maid cleaned the room next door but I never saw a soul) as long as I had the car so I could get to Oia or wherever I wanted to go and not have to hike up that long hill every time I wanted to go to the room. The uphill hike was really only fun the first couple of times.

I'm sure someone will reply to you with some suggestions for some higher end hotels in Fira, Imerovigli and Oia.

tripgirl May 29th, 2005 07:29 PM

All of santorini is fab, but for a truly luxe experience and since you are willing to spend the money, go for Katikies Suites. It made our trip!

Fantastic!

See my trip report: Fabulous Time in Athens, Santorini and Crete.

You cannot go wrong; one of the most comfortable luxurious places I have stayed. Once you lounge around on a sand bed by the infinity pool, you will feel you've died and gone to heaven!

Pure bliss!!

Have a great trip!

starrsville May 29th, 2005 07:34 PM

I bookmarked this site tonight after reading two references - Oia Mare
www.oiamare.gr
Sounds and looks like my image of a Santorini traditional villa and is in your budget.

pandaschu May 29th, 2005 10:04 PM

Astra Apartments.

Highly Recommended

Mary_B May 30th, 2005 12:29 AM

Oia Mare
www.oiamare.gr
FANTASTIC - can't imagine staying ANYWHERE else!

babylene May 30th, 2005 04:38 AM

Has anyone been to Ikies or Anastasis in Imeroviglia? I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

Alex8 May 30th, 2005 04:49 AM

We will be at Anastasis on Saturday. If you go to Tripadvisor.com, there are several recent reviews, all of which are positive.

pamela8 May 30th, 2005 09:16 AM

I can recommend La Perla, where I stayed 2 years ago. The room and the owners were charming, and it has a perfect location on the edge of Oia.

jag1jag1 May 30th, 2005 04:32 PM

pandaschu--What did you like about the Astra?

pandaschu May 31st, 2005 10:36 PM

jag1jag1

apologies for my breif reply, I didn't have time to write a proper response.

I was at the Astra for the first part of my honeymoon in 02, and I loved everything about it. The room was minimally decorated, had a small kitchen area, and was an open high ceiling room with a loft bedroom. It was small but didn't feel small. All rooms at the hotel face the caldera, and have little individual balcony areas, where a lovely breakfast is served each day at your leisure. George, the manager, was helpful with our every need.

I also loved the swimming pool and bar, which you can probably see from the website, is perched right on the edge of the cliff.

I also liked imerovigli, because it was small and quiet, yet close enough to fira to make a pleasant walk. There is also bus service to Oia and other parts of the island.

I'd be happy to answer any more specific questions if you have them.

weluvgus Jun 1st, 2005 03:44 AM

Thanks to all for your kind replies and helpful suggestions. Katakie was full as were most of the upscale hotels in Oia - which is where we originally planned to try to stay. We did get booked at the Pegasus Suites in Imeroviglia. I hope it is as nice as it looks on their website!!

babylene Jun 1st, 2005 04:36 AM

When you return, would you be kind enough to report on Pegassus? Thanks.

lisa Jun 3rd, 2005 02:30 PM

We will be at Anastasis in August and will report back!

jag1jag1 Jun 3rd, 2005 10:02 PM

We will be staying at the Astra. How long did it take to walk to Oia from there? Also, any good restaurants that you can recommend nearby? We also will get a car for at least one of the days.

babylene Jun 4th, 2005 04:42 AM

I Hope you all report back. It will be so helpful to get some first-hand feedback to compare the hotels. When I return (next year) I'll report back,too!

pandaschu Jun 4th, 2005 06:40 PM

I wouldn't consider Imerovigli to Oia walkable, (unless for a long hike, perhaps?) It was the walk to Fira that we enjoyed so much. It is about 15 to 20 min., and it is very beautiful. The path meanders through the little villages, along the coast line.

To Oia, we took the bus to and a taxi home as it was v. late at night. The bus was nice and obviously much cheaper. Taxi was a little scary, but the driver obviously new the road well :)

We had a car rental for a day or two, Geroge arranged to have the car delivered to and picked up from the hotel. We used it to get to the other side of the island to visit Akrotiri and a beach (can't remember which).

There are some nice restaurants in Fira (can't remember any specific names), but our favorite was 1800 in Oia.

Hope this helps.

ohstate Jun 5th, 2005 10:06 AM

We stayed at Ikies in Oia, and highly recommend it. Christo and the rest of the staff are amazing. We had one of the smallest units, the House of the Boatman, and it was lovely. They serve breakfast on your balcony every morning, and you can watch as the sun rise creeps through Oia. The location is at the beginning of Oia, rather than the sunset side or closer to the main part of Oia. We think it was quieter there. Ikies is right next to Perivolas. Anyway, their prices were reasonable, there wasn't a thing I'd change about it. http://www.ikies.com/

We rented a car 2 day to explore the island - well worth it. We hiked from Oia to Imeroviglia - and I mean hiked. There is a trail that follows the volcano ridge w/ lots of ups and downs, but you are rewarded with beautiful views. It takes 2 hours or so.