Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Santorini experts - Which resort: Perissa, Kamari or ... ? Kamari, Perissa or Oia?

Search

Santorini experts - Which resort: Perissa, Kamari or ... ? Kamari, Perissa or Oia?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I'm thinking of a week or two in Santorini next month, and I've seen some good deals in the resorts of Perissa and Kamari.
Can anyone compare these two resorts? Which would you choose, and why?

Reviewing threads on Santorini, Ioa seems to get the best reviews. Should I really try to stay there instead?

Is 2 weeks too long on Santorini?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Steve

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

P.S. Oh boy - don't you wish you could start again sometimes?
Apologies for the crappy heading! Time for caffeine ...
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 06:03 AM

One week is probably sufficient to explore all that Santorni has to offer and take the second week to check out some of the nearby islands. I'm not positive but I think Perissa and Kamari are the beach areas which are not that close to Fira and Oia (they are on the opposite shore of the island). Oia is great but there isn't much of a beach there (besides a rocky cove) if you are looking for beaches. It has a lot more "charm" than the beach areas, though.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 12:00 PM

I've been to Perissia twice and enjoyed it both times the beach is the black volcanics sand and well maintained, from here you can hike up the mountain to ancient Thira. There is lots of restaurants along the beach front and a couple of clubs. I think the main difference between Kamari and Perissia would be the amount of package tourism with Kamari having more. If you do decide to stay in this area rent a car or scooter then you can see the whole island including the sunset in Oia.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 03:04 PM
brotherleelove2003

Kamari is more commercial than Perissa, but not by much any more. Oia is the most beautiful village on the island, the most timeless. 2 weeks is not that long unless you are in constant need of diversion. After a trip to Akrotiri, Ancient Thira and some shopping in Fira, there's not much else to do but relax, eat the food, drink the wine, go to a club or two and enjoy the sunset. That sounds like a perfect way to spend 2 weeks to me!

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 06:56 PM
ed

We stayed im Kamari and then took the local bus to Thira and Oia. Didn't really need a car. The local bus ride around the rim of the caldera was thrilling.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 12:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. For those of you who stayed in Kamari - can you tell me if there was a problem with aircraft noise? Thanks.

Steve
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 04:27 AM

I do not remember any aircraft noise. I really liked the black lava rock beach that was right in front of the pedestrian walk. It was wonderful eating outside looking at the sea. We didn't have a car and we found it easy to get everywhere, we took a lot of taxis.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 04:35 AM

By the way, make sure you make the climb to Ancient Thira. Don't do what we did though, we took a cab and then when we came down there was no cabs around at all! Have the cab come back a few hours later. The view overlooking Kamari is stunning.