Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Santorini Early Morining Transfer. Car hire/Atv options.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We have a very early flight from Athens to Santorini (arriving in Santorini at 6am).
Would that be too early to get a transfer from the hotel we are staying at? (we are still to book somewhere).
Should we just wait at the airport for a few hours? I am not sure what to do.
Also what would be the best option for a hire bike, Avt, car etc so we can explore the island? Thank you
Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

I may have not worded the post correctly so for any confusion.
I am meaning the transfer from Santorini Airport to our hotel of choice for our stay there. I have read some hotel offer optional transfer from airport to hotel for around 25 Euro.
Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 07:05 PM

There should be a bus from the airport into Fira at around 07:30am. You can check the schedule at the bus stop outside the terminal. At that early hour if you can't check in to your hotel just go into Fira and find an open cafe for some coffee and maybe breakfast. The Fira bus terminal is 100 meters Fira's main square.

Yes, some hotels offer transfers for a fee (some charge too much!) and some do it for free. If it is offered it will say on their websites. Be sure they'll pick you up at that early hour. You can also take a taxi, there will be some waiting. http://santorini-taxi.gr/index.php

Or you can book a seat with a shuttle transfer service. Check the websites for A2B Transfers and Santorini Transfer.

If you are experienced with ATVs or scooters they are cheap and parking is easy. If you live outside the UK and the Schengen Zone you need to bring an International Driving Permit with you. If you live in the USA or Canada you can get them at your local AAA/CAA office, no test or membership required.
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 01:21 AM

I would recommend renting a small car rather than a scooter or ATV because some roads are windy & steep & a car is best if you want to go out at night.
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 04:15 AM

I would secure a transfer (especially if you're staying in Oia; a cab there from the airport can run you 40-50 EUR), and also make sure that your lodging would let you in that early.

Brotherlee, when I went to Mykonos and Santorini last year, they did not ask me for IDP when I hired ATV's (had it just in case), has that changed, or were my suppliers being dodgy?
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 06:32 AM

It's not the car rental companies that want to see the IDP, it's the police. Good idea to get one, just in case. Also does your insurance (health and car) cover you on an ATV in Greece?
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 07:13 AM

Why are you arriving so early? A 6am arrival makes me shudder to think about what time you will have to get up at in Athens to go and catch the flight. Can't you get a flight a bit later in the morning?

Arriving at 6am, all you can do is go into Fira as brotherleelove suggests or to the hotel where you are booked. If you go the hotel, chances are you can leave your luggage but aren't going to get into the room.

For a rental there is no 'best option'. A bike is cheaper than a car if you are comfortable on a bike and also easier to park.
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 09:24 AM

Sometimes it’s possible to rent a car just by showing your passport and a current drivers license. No problem.
BUT....................
If you get in an accident and don’t have the IDP you'll be in serious trouble with the Greek Police. Greek Law requires it and if you can't produce it you could possibly be detained until you come up with the cash to pay for any _and all_ damages to the vehicles involved regardless of whose fault it is and whether or not the damages were pre-existing (especially if the other car belongs to a local seizing the opportunity to play the system!)
AND...................
Your insurance will be invalidated because technically you will have been driving illegally.
And in that regard I also encourage you to take out the local insurance offered when you pick up the car, as much coverage as you can get. Don't rely on the automatic insurance your credit card claims to provide you. You'll be in a foreign country and there won't be a claims adjuster handy.
Just as important: Don't take "No Problem" as a substitute for indicating on the rental acceptance form every little scratch, dent, tear, stain, crack and missing part on the vehicle, inside and out and underneath. Take photos to back up your inspection. If the rental agent resists signing off on all that you've indicated walk away and find another agency.
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your imput
dulciusexasperis, this is our first time in Santorini & could be our only so I guess I am just very excited & want to spend as long as I can there I think also that the early flight was the cheapest. We will stay at Athens Airport Sofitel the night before hand to be really close by to catch the early flight. I booked a hotel they said they will pick us up at whatever time we like 25Euro, We can leave our bags with them & explore until our room is ready.
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 03:29 AM

Santorini is an amazing island and I wish you to enjoy your stay there. There is always the option of renting a car to explore the island (and I agree with @Odin to avoid the scooter) and you can get it at the airport. So you are avoiding the cab or the +25€ of the hotel pick up. Some site you can check out with cheap car rentals are www.crete-car-rentals.com or www.carantee.com
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 02:45 PM

Yet another 'avoid the scooter' comment. What is it with people who think everyone is as inexperienced as themselves when it comes to riding a scooter.

There is no island or city in Greece where I would not rent a scooter. I've rode them for thousands of miles/kilometres in many countries including Greece and feel as safe as I do in a car.

I have no objection to someone saying, 'I wouldn't feel safe renting a scooter, so I would suggest a car' but it is up to YOU to decide.' Just as I wrote above, "For a rental there is no 'best option'. A bike is cheaper than a car if you are comfortable on a bike and also easier to park."

If I wrote what I would do, it would be 'rent a bike over a car any day. It costs less and is easier to park. A car is a pain in the butt and especially on an island as small as Santorini.'
Old Mar 27th, 2014, 07:12 AM

Dulciusexasperis of course, it's not up to us to decide if someone is going to rent or not a scooter. But i think it's allowed to everyone to express their opinion, or? During the summer season, the Greek Hospitals are full of tourists who had accidents with the scooters. It is not that the Greek roads are the problem (although they may be), it is that if you are not a moto-biker back to your country then you don't have the experience to drive a scooter. Deal with it. And the most tourists are like "Scooter? pff piece of cake! Like a bicycle!". So yeah.. Avoid the scooter. If you don't drive a scooter or a motorcycle back to your country AVOID THE SCOOTER! And of course that tip doesn't fit for everyone.

Why you are so upset anyway about a TIP?
Old Mar 27th, 2014, 08:32 AM

I can only repeat what i have said many times in this forum.
I have spent many summers working on islands such as Crete, Mykonos or Santorini. I can't remember how many accidents i have seen, how many tourists i helped by going with them to local doctors and translating. Some accidents were very very serious!!! They all had no experience with bikes in their own country or understimated how it is to drive on roads ( often unpaved) of islands such as Mykonos....( you can put here the name of any other island)

I will always share my experience everytime someone brings up that matter, the OP always has the choice to take it into consideration or not.
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 12:30 AM

Thumbs up for your comment Clausar!
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 01:04 AM

<<What is it with people who think everyone is as inexperienced as themselves when it comes to riding a scooter.>> It is because I have experience that I make the recommendation to not rent a scooter. I spent my childhood in Cyprus and rode bikes. I have seen first hand how tourists handle their bikes and the consequences. I also rented scooters in Bermuda which is an easier island than many of the Greek ones, another island which has several tourist casualties.
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 07:06 AM

"I would recommend renting a small car rather than a scooter or ATV because some roads are windy & steep & a car is best if you want to go out at night."

"and I agree with @Odin to avoid the scooter"

Those were the two comments I objected to. Now TSeeker, Odin and Clausar, you QUALIFY with 'if you don't have experience'.

That was my whole point. Those first two statements ASSUMED or ignored whether the OP had experience or not and said, 'don't rent a scooter' PERIOD.

I have already said, I have no objection to someone saying, 'I would not rent a bike if I did not have experience riding one'. That is a totally different thing than saying, 'don't rent a bike'.

I'm not picking on you guys personally. I find it all too common on travel forums for people to write, 'don't rent a scooter' without knowing anything about the ability and experience of the person they are TELLING what to not do. The ASSUMPTION is that the person they are telling what to not do, is incapable of riding a scooter safely.
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 08:37 AM

"Would that be too early to get a transfer from the hotel we are staying at?"

I haven't read all the posts amycherry, but can't you call or email the hotel in Santorini and ask them directly. Any information here will just be subjective and you need to have a definitive answer from them - and you may need to notify them early rather on the day of your arrival.