Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Santorini and then? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/santorini-and-then-288372/)

pvron Jan 20th, 2008 08:52 AM

Santorini and then?

We are staying 4 nights in Santorini at either Lena's house, blue dolphin, stelios or Old Oia house. Any thoughts about which one to choose in June? Also, then going to Paros for 4 nights, need hotel, then onto a third island, not sure which one. Suggestions appreciated!Then to Athens, need hotel. All hotels should be in the 100Euros range. Is this enough time on each island? Which island can we rent a moped for easy site-seeing?
thanks for any help

brotherleelove2004 Jan 20th, 2008 09:05 AM

If Fira's nightlife isn's something you want to have easy access to then stay in Oia, the most beautiful village. Old Oia Houses are very authentic and in a quiet section of the village.

I had a very clean and spacious room with a TV, fridge, coffee maker and A/C at Alexandra's Rooms in Paros, a short walk from the ferry port (to the left about 1/4 mile) between the Hotel Paros and the shop called "Colors," which handles the bookings. There's a nice beach right across the street from these rooms.

http://76.162.2.152/alexandrarooms/index_en.htm

Since you'll be needing to get back to Athens from your last island I suggest either Antiparos or Naxos. If you choose Antiparos you'll have to catch the local shuttle ferry back to Paros for the ferry to Athens. There are many of them every day so this isn't a problem.

pvron Jan 20th, 2008 11:08 AM

My wife was thinking of Snifos as our third island. Can we get a ferry from there back to Athens? Any suggestions for a hotel on the island?
Thanks,
Ron

Heimdall Jan 20th, 2008 11:48 AM

Yes you can get a ferry back to Athens (Pireaus) from Sifnos. The problem may be first getting from Paros to Sifnos. Amazing as it may seem for two islands so close together, there are only two ferries per week between them.

Last year, in high season, FlyingCat 3 had a daily service from Paros that eventually stopped at Sifnos. The route was: Paros > Naxos > Katapola > Santorini > Folegandros > Sifnos. That doesn't take as long as it sounds, because FlyingCat 3 is a very fast catamaran. On the other hand, if the seas are rough that day, you may wish you were on the Blue Star heading for Naxos instead.

Gaspard Jan 20th, 2008 11:56 AM

You can take the PANAGIA HOZOVIOTISSA in Paros or Naxos. Hotel Petali on Sifnos is nice.
G

Heimdall Jan 20th, 2008 12:10 PM

Gaspard mentions the twice per week ferry to which I referred.

travelerjan Jan 21st, 2008 06:23 AM

On Sifnos, I doubt whether the Hotel Petali is in the 100E range but no matter, there are many lovely choices on the island. I do agree that it is better to stay in the high central area (Appolonia-Artemonas-Petali etc) than in the Kamares Port area... unless you go away from the quay to the very far end of Kamares beach, where there are some nice places. Or consider staying at Platy Gialos Beach area -- not at all crowded in June. That would require car rental I think because busses are not as frequent.

Gaspard Jan 21st, 2008 08:03 AM

Hotel Petali
petalihotel.gr
Standard room in June 2008 is 120 Euro, including breakfast.
G.

pvron Jan 21st, 2008 10:17 AM

We may change our itinerary from 4 nights each on Santorini, Naxos, Paros to 3 each and then 3 on Mykonos. Any thoughts? Any recommendations for hotels on Mykonos about 100 euros?
thanks,
Ron

Heimdall Jan 21st, 2008 12:28 PM

Santorini, Naxos, Paros, and Mykonos are well connected by ferries, so that route is easy to do.

Four islands in 12 days? No problem, but each of those island transfers will take up at least half a day, so you are really talking about 2½ days per island rather than three. Consider going back to your original plan, limiting yourself to three islands, spending four days on each.

Which three? Well Santorini is probably a given, so you would have to choose two from Paros, Naxos, and Mykonos. What are your interests? Mykonos has the best hotels and nightlife, Naxos the best beaches, and Paros the most diversity.

pvron Jan 21st, 2008 12:43 PM

We are going to Santorini first. I think we will go back to just 3. Question... Which should we do next and which is easier to get back to Athens..Naxos or Paros?
Thanks

brotherleelove2004 Jan 21st, 2008 02:38 PM

Paros is closer to Athens along the ferry route so the trip will be shorter than from Naxos. "Easier" doesn't apply.

pvron Jan 21st, 2008 04:16 PM

Thanks
So I guess I'll go to Naxos from Santorini and then onto Paros and then to Athens. How's that for a plan?

brotherleelove2004 Jan 21st, 2008 05:27 PM

Sounds fine to me....:)

Heimdall Jan 22nd, 2008 12:06 AM

Yes, I agree. Take the Blue star from Santorini to Naxos for the best view of the caldera as you are departing. Blue Star first stops at Naxos, then Paros, so that would be the logical sequence.

pvron Jan 23rd, 2008 11:55 AM

Am confused? I emailed Thea studios and they have a room. I thought that it was in Oia but it is in Fira. It seems that there are 2 of them. Does anyone think that it is a good choice in Fira? Anyone know about the Manto Hotel in Paros?
Thanks