Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Santorini and Athens (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/santorini-and-athens-754732/)

foodiechan Dec 24th, 2007 12:34 PM

Santorini and Athens

Hello all:

Just a quick question to those that had been to both Santorini and Athens.

My wife and I are planning our next vacation and would like to combine the relaxation at an island with some sightseeing at some historic sites. So Santorini and Athens came to mind as the combo.

We primarily wanted, as our Caribbean friends would say, to "lyme" or chill, so we wanted to spend the majority of our time in Santorini, but would like to get an idea how much time ideally I should spend at both places. As for sightseeing in Athens, we like history so I guess we will spend most of our times checking out historic sites like the Parthenon, old churches, and museums. Oh, and not to mention sampling local food.

Any ideas and suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers,
Ed

brotherleelove2004 Dec 24th, 2007 03:39 PM

Santorini is an excellent island for a relaxing holiday, and the time to do so really depends on you. I go for a month at a time and that's just right for me, but some people are ready to move on after a day or two. There are a few interesting sites on the island, such as Ancient Thera, the new volcano (take the cruise into the caldera), the traditional village of Pyrgos, the archaeological site fo Akrotiri if it's open (closed at the moment), several black or red rock beaches and the most beautiful village of Oia.

I think you should plan to stay for at least a week minumum, longer if you have the time. Spending less time will only allow you to scratch the surface. The longer you stay the more you'll appreciate the unique qualities if this most special island.

Carolina Dec 24th, 2007 04:37 PM

Depends on where you are flying from ie. do you have a long flight. Also, do you want to do some sight seeing in Athens at the beginning or the end of your holiday?
Personally, I would start with about 3 nights in Athens (2 if you have only a short journey to Greece), on to Santorini and back to Athens for your final night. If you have 3 nights in Athens, and then wish you had gone on to Santorini earlier, you could always spend a day visiting Aegina or Poros (both very close and easy to get to). In Athens, obviously the Acropolis is a must, as is the archaeological museum. I also would reccommend the cycladic museum and the Plaka area for just wandering around.

Heimdall Dec 25th, 2007 12:59 AM

I'm another member of the 'islands first - Athens last' school of thought. There are several daily flights from Athens to Santorini, and you can usually be on the island within hours of your arrival in Greece.

That will save you the hassle of getting into Athens from the airport both at the beginning and end of your trip (assuming you are flying to and from Santorini). Also, I would much rather recover from a long flight sitting on a balcony overlooking the caldera on Santorini than in an Athens hotel room.

GBC Dec 25th, 2007 09:55 AM

Hi Ed,

Santorini and Athens would be an excellent (short) trip.
Your flight will probably arrive Athens early in the morning. I would immediately take a second flight to Santorini. Check out Aegean Airlines. Olympic also connects.

On Santorini I would stay at Oia. A visit of five days or more would be great. Try not to do less. Santorini is especially unique and beautiful - you won't be disappointed.

Return to Athens by air or by ferry depending on your available time. I would look for lodging in the Plaka area of the city, handy to the Acropolis. A visit of three nights (two days to explore) would be great. This arrangement will save you doubling back into the city more than once since the airport is some distance away from the city.

bc_canuck Dec 25th, 2007 10:10 AM

I spent the first two nights in Greece in Athens, then on to Mykonos and Santorini. Having done that I would agree with Heimdall and unwind on Santorini first. I can't think of a better way to beat jet lag than to sit on the balcony sipping a nice Santorini wine watching the boats in the Caldera.

We were there 5 days and I felt that wasn't quite enough. Like BL2004 said other people have different expectations but I like to get to know the lay of the land.

In Athens buy one of the tickets that gives you access to most of the historic sites. Try to do the Acropolis early in the morning as it gets hot and crowded.