Santorini Airport Car Rentals

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving by plane from Athens and renting a car for the week. AutoEurope's website has no availability when I put in our dates etc. Anyone know what rental agencies are at the airport?
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 09:30 AM

try avis ... they seem to be everywhere
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:24 AM

Do you still plan to go in May, 2006?
If so, I suggest you take a taxi from the airport to Oia (isn't it?) and rent your car there. You'll get a much better deal from one of the local dealers than you will over the internet from a large concern, and in May there will be cars all over the village just sitting waiting to rent. This will allow you to deal for a very good price for a week's use. Same applies to any village you might be heading to.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:25 AM

Taxi to Oia is 20 Euro. Find others going there who are on your plane and share the cost.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Brotherleelove. That is what I suggested to my husband, but he said the taxi would probably cost more than a rental car for that day. Actually, I am not having good luck getting a car quote for our Santorini rental. Lilipad, you mentioned there is a car rental right near the studio we hopefully will be staying at so that would be easy to do the following morning. We will be there May 3 to May 9, 2006. Only our rental cars and the Santorini studio are not booked yet. I plan on booking with a local company for our week in Crete. Can't remember their name. Thanks to both for your help. Brotherleelove, I just read your trip report with all the accommodation remarks and the car situation on Oia. Very generous of you to take the time. I am glad we are going early in the season.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 12:41 PM

I was offered a rental for 17 Euro/day from Alex at Ecorama Holidays in Oia and I don't think it was an unusually unique rate, especially for May. Even though a taxi might cost more than a day's rental I still think you should wait until you get there. There are several rental offices in Oia.

Which Studio are you renting?
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

I have been emailing Maria at Thea Studios since early August but, she tells me that it is too early to reserve a studio there. So I stay in touch. She says to wait until January 2006 and then she will accept my reservation. I have already reserved places in Athens (Attalos Hotel) and Crete (Ifigenia Studios in Chania and Hotel Ideon in Rethymnon). I like to plan as much advance as possible. I have all flights between the islands set too on Aegean Air. Now I can concentrate on learning some Greek words and phrases. We've been eating at a very authentic Greek restaurant in town and getting into the Greek mood. This will be my second visit and my husband's first.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 06:55 PM

It's not unusual that you can't reserve a room until after the first of the year since so many hotel operators close for the season in Late October and don't open up again until March or April.

Be sure to keep checking with Aegean for any schedule changes, more than likely it will happen. They're good about working with you if it happens, just don't rely on them to notify you and you won't have any surprises. They changed a flight of mine this year and I was the one who saw the change on their website, contacted them by email and requested rebooking based on the new timetable. They complied with my request immediately at no extra charge even though the price was higher for the new mid-day departure time.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 08:56 PM

Want to rent a car also when I am in Greece. Does one drive on the same side of the road as in America?
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:19 PM

You do if you don't want to get in an accident!!
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 11:52 AM

in sanrini, every hotel i inquired with offere to arrange for a car rental, anc the car rental would even pick you up at the port or airport, so just go thaqtway. Taxis there just aren't worth it since it's the same cost to rent a car for the whole day!
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 04:03 AM
ira

Hi Akin

>AutoEurope's website has no availability when I put in our dates etc. <

If you are trying to book for May 2006, you are too early.

Call autoeurope at 1-888-223-5555.

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ira. I feel like I know you from reading your posts on this forum, especially to Barb's trip with the Divas When are you going and what towns/islands?
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 01:57 AM

I read that you are staying at the Hotel Ideon. We stayed there in Oct. It was well situated, the lobby and Pool were nice. The rooms haowever were sparce and the walls thin. It was noisy. Just a warning.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the warning. We will be sure to take our earplugs. Their website says the rooms in the main building have balconies. That is where I requested our double to be so I am hoping we will have a decent view. I wasn't expecting it would be anything fancy for the cost. We don't spend much time in our hotel rooms. I just like to have some kind of view in the mornings as I have my coffee.