Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Santa Sofia convent in Rome? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/santa-sofia-convent-in-rome-510620/)

ericjdaniels Mar 8th, 2005 03:05 PM

Santa Sofia convent in Rome?

I am desperate for cheap accomodations from May 23-28th. I found this on the santasusanna site and was interested in any information anyone has on it.

Thanks!

Eric

WillTravel Mar 8th, 2005 03:31 PM

Did you see this review? It sounds all right.
http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/S...ome_Lazio.html

ericjdaniels Mar 8th, 2005 03:35 PM

Yeah, I saw that review. But I wasn't able to find out anything about Bambino Gesu Hotel Convent.

But I did see that. Thanks!

Eric

WillTravel Mar 8th, 2005 03:45 PM

Eric, I will try to find out some info about the Bambino Gesu, because I think I got an email from them, but I may not have it any more.

WillTravel Mar 8th, 2005 03:53 PM

The Bambino Gesu info is on the Santa Susanna site:
SUORE DEL BAMBINO GESU (Via Ardua, San Giovanni Rotondo, Tel: 0882.456031, Fax: 0882.413282) The sisiters charge 105.000 Lire per person for full board. For families of four or more they reduce the rate to 90.000 Lire.

(obviously old money figures)

I don't know if I ever had an email address, or am thinking of another convent.

kybourbon Mar 8th, 2005 04:10 PM

Bambino Gesu on via Cavour? They have a website but it isn't functioning at the moment. This is a dormitory style hotel run by nuns. I considered staying there one summer because it had good prices, was clean, had ac and was near a metro stop. It is also called Domus Nova Bethlem and I think a double is about 90E. The curfew was 1 am.The website if you can get it to work is www.suorebambinogesu.it

kybourbon Mar 8th, 2005 04:26 PM

I had an email address but can't seem to locate it. The phone number is 06 47824414.

Eloise Mar 9th, 2005 03:06 AM

The convent WillTravel refers to is in San Giovanni Rotondo in the south of Italy, where Padre Pio lived and, I think, died. It is not in Rome.

kybourbon Mar 9th, 2005 04:50 AM

The one I'm talking about is on Via Cavour 58A in Rome and the website is now working. www.suorebambinogesu.it and click on Domus Nova Bethlem and then immagini as the site is in Italian. The rooms look nice and includes breakfast. It seems their rates have gone up but it also says prices can be changed. It wouldn't hurt to email and ask.
[email protected]

ericjdaniels Mar 9th, 2005 05:32 AM

Just an update. I got a place to stay!!!

I have been waiting to hear from the Instituto Santa Giuliana, and I finally called them, and I got a room for 75 euros.

I know they don't have air conditioning, but hopefully it will be early enough in the summer that we won't be too hot.

Thanks everyone for your help! I am so relieved to have found a place!

Eric

pg Mar 10th, 2005 07:40 AM

We stayed at Fraterna Domus last week - and it was 15-20 minutes walking distance from almost all the must-see sites at the center. I would recommend it. We paid 98E with breakfast for a triple.

moku Apr 30th, 2005 10:49 PM

Does anyone know if Santa Sofia has available private bathrooms in the double rooms?

NZGirl May 1st, 2005 11:03 AM

I will be staying here end of May. I have booked a single room with private bath so I imagine doubles would probably also have them. These are their contact details. Good Luck!

SANTA SOFIA
Piazza Madonna dei Monti, 3
00184 Rome
Tel. 06.485.778 Fax: 06.487.1064
e-mail: [email protected]

Sally May 1st, 2005 02:01 PM

ttt

momofrajah Aug 2nd, 2006 12:23 PM

NZgirl -

how did you like staying here? was it convenient for getting around? how close to pantheon/piazza navona? Colosseum?

thanks for any input from you (or anyone else who has been here!!)

azazaz Feb 21st, 2007 10:37 AM

Eric, It is now 2007 but I was wondering if you were happy at the Convent Insttuto; it is no longer very cheap but is it close to the Pantheon , do you know ; any info will be appreciated. Mc azazaz