Search

Santa Maria Novella fans-advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 01:41 PM
mdv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santa Maria Novella fans-advice needed

Will be in Florence for about a week and naturally will pay a visit here. Any suggestions? dislike heavy florals, tend to like citrus, grass , or herbal scents.

Thanks.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 03:09 PM

Aren't you fortunate that I am here to instruct you on the products of Farmacia Santa Maria Novella???? Are you looking for cologne or perfume (pure essence)? You may like Amber, Hay, Zagara (bitter orange), Verbena, Vetiver, or Peu d'Espagne. You can sample any of the products at Farmacia SMN on Via della Scala, 16n in Florence, please do not be intimidated like some of the posters have admitted in the past.

SMN is not for everyone. If you are the kind of person who is intrigued by the smell of rotting flowers, incense, and beeswax candles on the altar of an ancient cathedral, SMN is for you. However, I don't know anyone who doesn't like the smell of the pot-pourri.

You would most probably like the Mint or Camomile bubble bath, and Lavander shampoo. Stock up whilst you are in Florence because these products are very expensive in the US (Lafco, Takashimaya). The Lavander shampoo, for example, is $35.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 03:52 PM

I'm allergic to most fragrances, but I found a wonderful vanilla there that I can wear and really love. Nice and light.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 04:15 PM

I was there in December and bought soaps in Vetiver, Sandlewood, Eue de Russa, fragrance for my husband (Eue de Russa, Sandlewood) and body cream for myself (Idrasol - smells of Rose, very old-fashioned). Also, picked up the lozenges and lip balm.

Best find was a face cream for my husband. he has very dry skin but is also very allergic. Best cream he has used to date was Dr. Hauska, but the SMN one is superb. It has a wax-like feel and he says it smells like embalming oil ... but it WORKS!

They have pamphlets in various languages that you can browse (no prices though). One you have chosen, you go to the desk and can sample. The girls are multi-lingual and very helpful (I described the symptoms, they supplied the solution), patient (I tried at least a dozen smells before I decided) and not in the least pushy.

Leave lots of time - nobody is in much of a hurry!

The SMELL in the shop is astonishing - I think ThinGorjus describes it well: a Sunday morning from early childhood, incense, smells and the bells.

regards .. Ger
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 04:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
OHhhhhhhh! love the amber!
Ger, did you get my mail?
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 04:27 PM

No Mimi. I appear to be having e-mail problems lately. Try [email protected]
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 09:43 AM

Where is the Farmacia located? Easy to find? Multiple locations? In Rome and Venice also or only Florence?
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 09:56 AM

Here is the official site with list of outlets.

http://www.smnovella.it/concessionari.html

The Florence store is on Via dela Scala, 16, very close to the Church of the SM Novella and the train station.

Old Mar 14th, 2004, 02:27 PM

Read carefully, tinarose. Farmacia SMN is very hard to find because it is not marked. It is on the same side of Via Scala as the church of SMN. You must look down at the stoop to see the crest of SMN. You will also notice the wood and glass doors with brass handles. I can't tell you how many times I have missed the entrance and I have been shopping here for over 10 years.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 06:19 PM

ThinGorjus

I'm glad to find this message of yours. My husband and I, who generally find what we're looking for, have gone to via Scala TWICE looking for Farmacia Santa Novella, and come away both times feeling stupid and frustrated, because we didn't find the darn place.

We plan to be in Florence at the end of February, and this time, I am determined to find it. I also feel rather miffed with myself for not asking anyone in the neighborhood wher the Farmacia is. My Italian stinks, but I can aks for directions and follow them, if they're simple enough.

Thanks again,
Debbie
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 06:25 PM

for anyone's info, at least one store in New York is now carrying some or all of the SMN products

santamarianovellausa.com
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 08:45 PM

I just tried the hand cream at a jewelry store near where I live (Midwest)-- I LOVE it!!
It smells so good, and just a little bit softened my hands and kept them from feeling so dry.

I've got to go back and buy some!

I don't know how long they've been carrying the Santa Maria Novella line, but they had what looked like a large selection-- I'll have to check out their other things.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 05:12 AM

You might want to check out SMN's foot cream .. Creme Pedestre? somthing close to that!.. it is simply the best I've ever used. It has a muted menthol smell; not floral at all. I've never found any other foot cream product to beat this one.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 05:35 AM

Can I buy the products online?
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 05:40 AM

Some of the products are available online at eluxury.com. There may be another website that sells it. Just imput Farmacia Santa Maria Novella into a search engine.

The store in Florence is lovely. While the products are sold at other locations throughout Europe (and a few places in the US), the original store is beautiful, with frescoed ceilings and dark wood. While it is a little intimidating, I didn't let that stop me from sampling what I wanted to. Just know that the store can get very crowded. I was there in March and had to stand back for about 10 minutes before I had my turn at the counter to do some sampling.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 06:25 AM

where is this located?
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 06:50 AM

Sandi, it's in Florence, Italy.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 07:01 AM

Hey, it's a really pretty church, too. Here's a shot I took back in 1991:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...99889072QeuRpG
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 07:02 AM

sorry, should have been more specific..I know it's in Florence but where in Florence?
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 07:08 AM

It is on the Via Della Scala, not far from Termini. There is also a shop in Rome near the Piazza Navona - I'm not sure of the street name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -