Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

SANTA MARIA MAGGIORE AREA FOR A STAY IN ROME?

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 11:03 AM
MELINDA

I AM GOING TO ROME FOR A WEEK WITH MY TEENAGE SONS. I WANT TO RENT AN APARTMENT THROUGH A BED AND BREAKFAST SITE ON THE NET. SINCE WE WILL BE ARRIVING BY TRAIN FROM FLORENCE I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE NICE TO BE SORT OF NEAR THE STATION SO I AM CONSIDERING A NICE LOOKING PENTHOUSE VERY CLOSE TO S. MARIA MAGGIORE CHURCH. ANYONE KNOW IF THAT IS A GOOD AREA TO BE IN, ESPECIALLY AFTER GOING OUT FOR THE EVENING AND COMING IN LATE?

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Ed

It's a safe enough area, if that's the thrust of your question. Not one I find very convenient, though.

Ed

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Melinda

What do you think about a place in Vatican City, behind St. Peter's? (Casa Agnese)

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 12:53 PM
howard

I don't totally agree with Ed about the convenience of the area near Santa Maria Maggiore. While not the "ideal" location, we stayed in the area and found it convenient to public transportation (both the Metro and buses), with many restaurants and other services nearby. And, we did walk to most of the sites from there.
And, yes, as Ed said, it is safe at night.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Ed

Seems even less convenient. I've not checked my map, but if really "behind" St. Peter's (i.e. to the west) it's especially inconvenient.

It's a fairly long walk around St. Peter's and the rest of the Vatican territory to gain entry to the Vatican or church. (There's no 'back door'.) Equally inconvenient for the same reason to get to the main part of the city across the river to the east. At least one change of bus.

As a general rule Piazza Navonna or the Pantheon are pretty close to the center of what most visitors will want to see in the city. Staying close to that area can make things pretty convenient. There are other areas that are almost as convenient, but where you'll want to look at the availability of transport, nearby recommendable restaurants, etc.

Closeness to the train station, for example, doesn't count for too much, at least to us. Whether you come or go by train or plane, one only does it once each way. We spend far more time going to/from sights, droppping by the hotel for a siesta, going out for dinner.

We like to be close to sights, restuarants we enjoy and transport.

Ed

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 01:13 PM
traveler

--

Melinda:

The locations you've mentioned are so-so. Which service are you using to find an apt to rent? I haven't used these folks but their listings do offer places that sound better located.

http://www.guestinitaly.com/apartments/index.htm

Obviously you'll get more if you pay more; however do note that many apts, particularly those in older buildings do not have elevators. And accommadations may be 'cosier' than you're used to.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 05:09 AM
Marsha

I have reserved an apartment "30 Meters from the Piazza Navona" through the "Rome Sweet Home" agency for our trip mid March. Does anyone have any experience with this company? I'll be sure to share our experiences when we get home.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 05:09 AM
Wht

Is something wrong there?

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 06:04 AM
xxx

Why is this the last message that has shown up on the board since yesterday afternoon? It's possible to post responses to messages already posted but impossible to post a new one. I noticed this yesterday and sent a message to Fodors. Let's hope they're on working on it--my hands are getting sweaty!

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 06:18 AM
Judy

XXXX, thanks for helping me stay sane....I thought something was terribly wrong...that was my post above yours, but I was paranoid....

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 07:55 AM
xxx

Hi Judy

I've been ready to pull my hair out since yesterday afternoon!

I sent a message to [email protected] describing the problem. You might try doing that too.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 08:28 AM
Judy

XXX, I did send an e-mail. I do hope it helps! Judy

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 08:42 AM
xxx

Are we the only two Fodorites out here in a vast void? Where are all the other addicts? Have they figured out how to get around this glitch? Just hope they're working on it at headquarters!

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 09:02 AM
mike

test only

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 09:04 AM
Ed

One presumes they're working on it. I too sent a message yesterday and they did respond to it this morning.

It has been three hours or so, though ... do you think Manhattan is still there? Maybe the server's in Timbuktu? It's certainly in a state of confusion.

Ed

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 09:14 AM
Judy

Ed: What did they say? I emailed them this morning. In my vast computerese I said the forum was stuck...that was the best I could do...a programmer or whiz, I am not...
Judy ;-(

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 09:18 AM
xxx

Hi Mike and Ed! Two more lost souls joining Judy and me. It's good to have company!

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Ed

Judy:

They said "thank you".

I told them in some detail that the left hand frame wasn't updating. Didn't know at the time that new messages weren't being accepted.

Whatever the problem, it affected all their fora ... as I learned this morning from a survey, at least the ones I checked. Problem began earlier on some than on Europe, by as much as an hour or so. Like a slowly spreading virus?

I'm sure they got many messages, and they must look at things themselves from time to time so they must be aware of the problem.

To whom did you write? I tried "w[email protected]" but that bounced ... ended up resending to [email protected]. There has to be a better address for problems.

Ed

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 10:02 AM
xxx

Hi Ed

I sent a message yesterday to [email protected] and got a reply this morning saying they would forward it to their
Web site producers.

PS to Judy: I think "stuck" describes the situation just fine!

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Holly

I was starting to think MY computer had a virus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -