Santa Margherita to Portofino walk

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 08:56 AM
vanne

Santa Margherita to Portofino walk

We'll be staying in Santa Margherita and using one day to do some or all of the Cinque Terre walk. We've heard the walk between Santa Margherita and Portofino is beautiful. How long does this walk take and how difficult is it? Would we be able to do it and still have time the same day to see a bit of Portofino and Santa Margherita?<BR>Thanks for any help.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Patrick

All I know is that we drove from SM to Portofino and it makes the Amalfi Drive look simple. It was so tight and filled with blind curves, that we were glad to be stuck behind a bus that honked at every turn to warn oncomers. Along the road were a number of walkers. If that is how you are talking about going -- walking along the road, I'd think twice. I can't imagine walking along that road with the traffic the way it is. If there is some walking path, separated totally from the road, then it might be fine -- but don't walk on the road!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Wayne

If I understand your question, you want to make the cliffside walk in the CT on the same day that you walk to Portofino (and back) from SML. I'd advise against it, not because the time spent in the walks would be excessive, but because getting to the CT and back will take a bit of time whether you go by train, bus, or car. I assume you don't intend to walk all the way from SML to the CT.<BR><BR>From SML to Portofino is only about 3 miles, perhaps a bit less depending on where you start. So that walk will take (for an average walker who isn't hurrying) about and hour or so each way. That should leave plenty of time to see Portofino and SML. To walk between 2 or 3 of the CT villages is an hour or more for the shorter walks, depending on how many villages you will see.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 03:48 AM
art

topping

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 09:19 AM
jane

It is one of the most beautiful hikes, <BR>starting through olive groves and surrounded by villas, then slowly up to the top of Monte di Portofino ,a nature reserve, then down into Portofino , time approx 2hrs , the bold then proceed to San Frantuoso another two hrs where one swims , relaxes, eats good fish and then take the ferry back , stopping off at Portofino for a famous Gelato "Il Paciugo" a woderful mix, of vanilla ice -cream, fresh wood berries and raspberries, then ferry back to Santa Margherita ,,freshen up , then a little shopping and then dinner,What a wonderful day. "Buona Notte "<BR>

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Joan

Did hike between all 5 villages in Cinque Terre and the Santa M. to Portofino walk in April. Stayed in monterossa and walked from monterossa to vernazza the first afternoon. suppoed to take 1 1/2 hour - took 3 40+ fit women 2 1/2 hours. couldn't have been that we stopped every 2 minutes to take pix! This section and the beginning of the second hike are a little challenging - the remainder is easy. Drove the scenic route from monterossa to Santa M. Walked from Santa M. to Portofino. There is a designated hiking route so you do not have to walk along that dangerous road. Hike is 7 kilomoters and not hard. Don't think it took more than an hour.