Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Santa Margherita Ligure Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/santa-margherita-ligure-hotels-232060/)

cherie Jun 18th, 2002 01:24 AM

Santa Margherita Ligure Hotels

We're spending 4 nights in SML in about 2 weeks. We have reservations for 2 nights at the Continental and 2 nights at the Imperiale Palace. How close are these hotels to the town. Can we walk into town? How about the train station? Any advice on restaurants, shopping, etc would be appreciated.

Vincenzo Jun 18th, 2002 01:49 AM

Cherie,<BR>two suggestions about restaurants, but for one oh these, the suggestion is to avoid it: TRATTORIA DEI PESCATORI.<BR>To go and have a nice dinner: DA PEZZI.<BR>I know hotel IMPERIALE PALACE, fine views, surroundend by a beautiful park.<BR>Very good.<BR>Have a nice trip.

Francis Chan Jun 18th, 2002 07:45 AM

Santa Margherita Ligure is a small town. From the Continental or Imperiale Palace, the train station and the shops are no more than a few minutes walk away.<BR><BR>Try the Trattoria Biacin on via Algeria.<BR><BR>There are quite a number of shops on via Cavour. Da Pezzi is also on via Cavour.

Betsy Jun 18th, 2002 08:07 AM

Also recommending Da Pezzi. You eat in sort of the back room of a deli/carry out shop. Great food.

Diane Jun 18th, 2002 11:42 PM

Another hearty recommendation for Da Baicin. Try the ravioli in nut sauce -- marvelous.<BR><BR>If you'd like to read my trip report from SML, go to www.travelswithdiane.homestead.com/italy6.html<BR><BR>I'm working on this section of my website, but the trip report itself is complete.<BR><BR>If you are there over a weekend, be sure to have dinner reservations.<BR>

John Jun 19th, 2002 02:10 AM

the Hotel Imperial is across the street on a hill overlooking the Hotel Continental both great places the Hotel Continental. also has a good restaurant . also try IlNostro in town just down the hill from the Conitental on a side Street e me for the address

David Jun 19th, 2002 04:42 AM

These two hotels are LITERALLY across the street from each other...you even have to walk past the Continental to get to some of the Imperiale's property. So there's not much point in splitting your time between the two hotels unless you have to.<BR><BR>Both hotels are generally well regarded by members of this forum. Continental seems to be really good value. Imperiale is fancier...more of a "Grand Dame" hotel of the Riviera... but is not in 100% perfect condition. My wife and I stayed there in 2000 and had a great experience, beautiful room, etc. but I have seen complaints on this board that some people thought their room wasn't up to snuff. If you don't think your room is in good shape, ask for another!! <BR><BR>I loved a restaurant called Il Faro, right in town. Wonderful food, family run, and they bring you tastes of free food while they cook your meal.

Diane Jun 21st, 2002 06:54 AM

Both of these hotels are up the hill from the main town but no more than a 10 minute walk. The Imperiale is grand. We had beautiful rooms and the morning breakfast was staggering....including champagne. <BR>The only thing we missed by staying directly in the town was the advantage of being in the center of everything and having more flexibility to stop back to the hotel to drop off purchases or freshen up. The hike up and down the hill forced us to be a little less free form.<BR>Although these hotels are wonderful, I would personally prefer to stay at the smaller hotels right in the town and be able tolisten to the street music and noises of the evening.<BR>

bob Jun 21st, 2002 07:02 AM

We stayed at the Imperial Palace last summer - an easy 5 minute walk to town - We ate at Cesarina - great seafood, very casual - The best meal was at La Stalla - it's a cab ride, but an unbelieveable view and great food - you need reservations, as you want to sit outside and watch the sun set - also dinner at the Imperial Palace was great for a more formal meal - again beautiful setting outside on the patio

xx2 Jul 29th, 2002 03:30 PM

If you are looking for a hotel and come across Villa Gnocchi, pass on this one unless you enjoy staying in one place most of the time because of access difficulty, driving on a one lane driveway to the location on the edge of the cliff, and not getting the view you were promised. If this doesn't appeal to you then select one of the closer to town hotels (several are very nice) - you will be happy you did.