Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Santa Margherita Ligure - Hotel Continental or Grand Hotel Miramare

May 5th, 2001, 12:04 PM
Chris

Has anyone ever stayed at the Hotel Continental or the Grand Hotel Miramare in Santa Margherita Ligure? I am trying to choose between the two. Thanks.

May 5th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Wendy

I stayed at the Miramare last February for one night. It was wonderful! Elegant and a litle pricey...but worth it. Great location and it made for a wonderful long walk by the harbour at night......

May 5th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Deena

Stayed at the Miramare about five years ago. We had a large corner room with a view of the sea. The staff was wonderful and we enjoyed this hotel very much. One warning though...there is a busy street in front of the hotel and we were disturbed by the traffic at night. Still, this is considered one of the nicest hotels in the area (usually makes Conde Nast Traveler's list of the best hotels) and we would stay here again.

May 6th, 2001, 04:17 AM
mike

I stayed at the Continental It was great also the only hotel with its own beach the views from the balcony were fantastic I highly recomend the Continental

May 6th, 2001, 04:16 PM
peter

we stayed at the miramari if memory serves me it was in rapallo. right on the harbour. great hotel with friendly people. view to kill for- facing the harbour 4th floor. good location. would recommend it

May 6th, 2001, 04:49 PM
Deena

Peter- The Grand Hotel Miramare is in Santa Margherita Ligure but the Miramari in Rapallo also sounds nice. I've always wanted to see Rapallo.

May 6th, 2001, 05:17 PM
sandy

The best hotel in Rapallo is the Excelsior Palace. The views are amazing and the restaurant is fabulous. However, it too has a very busy street in front , and it kept me awake. Perhaps it is not a problem in the summer time when the air conditioning is on and you can close your windows.

May 9th, 2001, 12:56 AM
Joelle

I have some comments to express on both hotels :

- Continental : last year friends of ours booked a room there and when they got to the hotel, they discovered the room was not airconditioned (current air temperature at that time was around 100 F...), although the hotel advertises for fully air conditioned rooms...

- Grand Hotel Miramare : very nice hotel with great views and nice rooms. However internal soundproofing is equal to ZERO between rooms. You share your bath with your neighbours (and vice versa) and you wake up at 6 in the morning, should your room be next to the breakfast service area... We had to hang a written note on the service door to ask them not to start talking (loud!) at 6 in the morning...

May 9th, 2001, 04:32 PM
peter

deena thank you for clearing that up. we were there in 88 and memory a little foggy of the particulars. we did enjoy rapallo very much- go if you get a chance

May 9th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Elsa

I thought the Grand Hotel Miramare is a 4/5 star hotel. Did anyone else have to share bath or bathroom facilities with their neighbor?

Thank you.

May 10th, 2001, 02:49 AM
Joelle

Message for Elsa : my comment about the bathroom was related to the fact that separation walls between rooms and bathrooms are so thin that you can hear the people talking, just like if they were in your own bedroom, which is a real pity, specially for a 4/5 star hotel...

May 10th, 2001, 06:17 PM
Deena

Guess it depends on the room at the Miramare. We had a large corner room with a huge bathroom and didn't hear the neighbors in their bathroom.

May 14th, 2001, 02:48 PM
Carol

I stayed at Hotel Continental last week for 2 days and it was wonderful. $179 per night with a balcony overlooking the water. I would stay there again in a minute. The temp. was cool at night so we had no need for AC - I don't know if it worked or not.

May 14th, 2001, 05:11 PM
steve brown

Hi,
WE stayed at the Hotel Continental last June for four nights, cost was $130./nt., wonderful hotel, really enjoyed the pool, an area that fills naturally with salt water. There really isn't a sandy beach, but something much better, a lounge area next to the sea made of stone and concrete. Very comfortable chaise lounges are provided. Take a short walk, maybe two blocks to a public beach, restaurants and shops. I reccomend highly.

May 19th, 2001, 12:17 AM
K

We just stayed at the Hotel Continental a couple of weeks ago and would recommend it. The views and the grounds were gorgeous. I took lots of pictures of both. I must add it was very quiet, and not street noise, of course we were on the harbor side. I personally prefer SM over Rappallo and it is very picturesque and smaller. It has a gorgeous walk way along the harbor with lots of flowers.