Reload this Page >

Santa Margherita:Hotel Nuevo Riviera

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2000, 01:47 PM
Jackie

Has anyone stayed here? Metropole was booked. Is there a good beach that we can have access to, while in the area in July?

Old May 28th, 2000, 02:34 PM
Dawn

I know this doesn't answer your question but we will be staying at the Hotel Continental in a couple of weeks. Check out their web site. You can also check their availability and book online. I don't think many places have the kind of beach that we are used to but is more rocky of sorts. Let me know what you think of the place after you look at it. It has gotten a few recommendations. <BR> <BR>http://www.venere.it/liguria/smargherita/continental/

Old May 30th, 2000, 12:44 PM
jackie

Dawn, I hope you will post info on S.M. when you return. I think the Continental looks beatiful -- and it's water access looks at least refreshing after a day of hiking, etc. Unfortunately, the Continental, the Metropole are booked for the days of my visit. Hotel Nuevo Riviera, a 1-star b&b is recommended in Rick Steve's. I think we'll be ok with this... the people there have been very nice on the phone, and we got a nice size room in the house with a balcony. It's a short walk to the seaside (5minutes?), and I keep forgetting to ask the Hotel if there is a "good" public beach in the area, or if there is paid access for the private hotel beaches.... Anyone know? Perhaps you might "notice" when you're there. Have a great trip!!

Old May 30th, 2000, 03:20 PM
Dawn

Jackie, <BR>I will take notice and I will post when I return. I remember reading about a beach between SM and Portofino. It said that the bus between the 2 towns stops there. I bet at the B&B they can recommend a place as well.

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 08:34 AM
katie

Hi Jackie: <BR>Could you tell me how to get in touch with the Hotel Neuvo Riviera? Also, does anyone know anything aboutAlbergo da Giovanni in San Fruttuoso/Camogli? <BR>Thx

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 12:36 PM
kay

Try this link for the Hotel. The woman I spoke to on the phone and subesequently e-mail is Cristina Sabini. she is very friendly...maybe they still have room. <BR> <BR>space.tin.it/viaggi/gsabin <BR>K.

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 03:20 PM
Jackie

Katie: I believe I found the website with pictures, phone #'s, etc. at venere.it/ under Santa Margherita (see Dawn's listing above). Giancarlo speaks English pretty well, and is very nice on the phone. Call as soon as possible; it looks like one of the rooms has a really neat terrace. Some rooms share bath, some have access to private bath, some have balcony, and some are in the "annex" They sound like really nice people, and I'm looking forward to our stay there in July. Good luck. (the e-mail &lt;[email protected]&gt; <BR>

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 03:31 PM
Don

There is not much to Santa Margherita-just a boat and lots of tour buses to Portofino, with mucho exhaust fumes. Many other great places to stay along the Italian Riviera that are not big tourist traps. You can stay in much nicer hotels for 1/2 the money and stay longer! Search the internet and research it some-I think you'll agree.

Old Jun 3rd, 2000, 07:03 AM
Jackie

How disappointing. Will it really be that bad...??? Comments in guide books suggest the hike from S.M. to Portofino as "one of the most beautiful and romantic trails on the L. Riviera". Though S.M. isn't the 'no-longer' "off the beaten path" of the Cinqua Terre hillside towns -- which are often hard to book even far in advance, S.M. stills seems a reasonable spot, for cost and for daytripping to the C.T.. Hotel Nuova is on a small side street. Has anyone stayed there and can comment further? <BR> <BR>Don: Can you be more specific about places to stay near there. I have been searching and searching.... Though I'm committed with deposit to Hotel Nuova Riviera. Have you stayed there?

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 01:08 PM
anne

We stayed at Nuova Riviera a year ago in May. The owners are VERY friendly and helpful, and it's an easy walk to the train station, the beach (where you can rent a chaise for the day), the shops along the water. There's a great gourmet shop in town - let me know if you'd like the name. I think it's a good spot to base in the area. Seemed like a family-oriented town, popular with Italian as well as foreign tourists. Really didn't seem like a tourist trap to me - more "down"-home". We enjoyed the fragrant garden at the hotel, and the parking availability too - always at a premium in town!

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 06:45 PM
Kay

Jackie: <BR>I stayed in Santa Margherita last summer <BR>and it was one of the highlights of my <BR>entire trip to Italy. It is delightful <BR>and so picturesque. I didn't see very many Americans here and many Italian families were vacationing here. Please don't worry about this stop as you will <BR>be very pleasantly surprised with this <BR>town, the food, shopping and the people.

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 07:08 PM
Jackie

Thanks to you both, Anne and Kay. I've given up any self-doubts, but your comments are assuring! I'm so excited about going, and I'm actually pretty laid back and open to whatever I find on our trip. "Picking" the hotels on the web has been an eyeopener--so much to choose from. And this has been my first trip to plan this way, but it's also my first trip to Italy to plan at all, though I did travel there nearly 20 years ago as a student. It will be great no matter what!!! Thanks again!

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 03:04 PM
Margo

NUOVA RIVIERA: Via Belvedere 10/2. <BR>Tel/Fax: 0185-287403. <BR>Web site: <BR>http://space.tin.it/viaggi/gsabin <BR>E-mail: [email protected] <BR>(9 rms., 2 w/bath or shower.) 100,000-115,000L (51-60E) single; 125,000-160,000L (64-82E) double; 160,000-210,000L (82-108E) triple; 180,000-270,000L (92-138E) quad. Buffet breakfast (7-10am) is included in the rates & cannot be deducted but can be served in the room (6,500L extra pp).Visa, MC. English spoken (John Carlo), TV, charming hotel w/old-fashioned furnished large rms. which vary quite a bit, #6 & 12 which have the bathrooms & 8 (balcony) are the best rms., #7, 2 & 3 also have balconies, lots of character, high ceilings, central heating, garden, bar, restaurant, no elevator, 3 flrs., parking. They offer half- and full-board rates (delicious meals including homemade pasta & great family wine) w/minimum stay requirement of 3 nights. Restaurant is also open to the public but you have to reserve in the morning for a 7:30 seating. Owned & managed by John Carlo & his family, who are warm, unbelievably accommodating and very friendly. The hotel offers lots of information on tours, bus & train schedules. If they’d had a room available with a bathroom, I would have stayed here. Taxi 15,000L. <BR>http://www.HelloEurope.com <BR>