Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Santa Caterina in Siena cancelled our reservations. Has anyone stayed at Hotel Garden or Hotel Moderno in Siena?

Search

Santa Caterina in Siena cancelled our reservations. Has anyone stayed at Hotel Garden or Hotel Moderno in Siena?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 10:57 PM
Char

Hi, <BR>Renovations at the Santa Caterina forced them to cancel our reservations today. <BR>We leave for Italy in two weeks. Don't want to stay at Hotel Chiurelli or Duomo - other than Paulo, lukewarm reviews.I'm with my mom. <BR>Need something nice - some charm, a lift - view like we had booked at the SC would be great $125 or less. Thanks all!!

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 05:05 AM
Deborah

Char, I stayed at Hotel Moderno last year. The lobby of the hotel was nice but my room smelled of mold which was quite annoying. They didn't have another room for me to move into so I had to stick it out. It is just outside the walls of the city so the location is not bad. You had to take this series of escalators to get into the city which was quite odd and kind of distracted from the "old city" feel. If it is all that is available then book it but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 05:15 AM
Byrd

Those who gave lukewarm reviews of the Duomo hotel must not have had the room we did in fall 1999--on the top floor with a magnificent view of the cathedral! In addition, there was a rooftop patio area where we had a picnic lunch and late afternoon wine. We found the location to be within easy walking distance of nearly everything. <BR>

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 05:49 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Char, Try the Piccolo Oliveta, very near the SC and a decent 3 star. Hmmm, I have reservations at SC in early April. I think I will check it out.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 07:41 AM
bea

ciao, <BR> <BR>The Hotel Hotel Villa Piccola Siena is situated close to Siena's historic center: http://www.tuscany.net/piccolasiena <BR> <BR>if you want to see photos of hotel moderno you can visit: http://www.tuscany.net/hotelmoderno <BR> <BR>best regards <BR>bea

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 01:15 PM
linda

We stayed at the Garden two years ago. It is about a mile outside of town and seems more of a business hotel than a place with Italian charm. Not my favorite.

Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 04:36 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We spent two weeks in Spello which is a wonderful base for exploring Umbria. Also have spent time in several of the Chianti villages which we love.
Other ideas include Bologna and Lecce.
Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
We spent two weeks in Spello which is a wonderful base for exploring Umbria. Also have spent time in several of the Chianti villages which we love.
Other ideas include Bologna and Lecce.
Have you read the date of this thread?