Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sangria - Anyone got some good recipe's? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sangria-anyone-got-some-good-recipes-860711/)

BillJ Sep 25th, 2010 08:46 AM

Sangria - Anyone got some good recipe's?

After becoming a sangria fan on our recent trip to Spain, I came home and googled it. There are thousands of recipe's. The bars in Seville and Barcelona told me they added things like triple sec, cognac, cointreau, in addition to the fruits. Some added 7-up or soda water just before serving. They all started with a basic red wine, didn't sound like the type or brand was all that important.
Sounds like everybody has their favorite.
Anyone have some tried and proven recipe's to share?

josele Sep 25th, 2010 10:58 AM

Indeed there are a thousand recipes. When I was a kid (yes, a kid) my mother used to prepare us Sangria (yes, my mother) with one liter red wine, one liter Fanta lemon, some fruit in chunks (basically apricots and orange peel) and a quarter brandy. And some sugar and ice.

Robert2533 Sep 25th, 2010 01:55 PM

The best Sangria I can remember was made from young red wine, cava, Spanish brandy and sliced oranges from Valencia, served chilled. It's not the best drink, but probably a little better than sipping kalimotxo in the hot summer sun.

josele Sep 26th, 2010 12:17 AM

Anything is better than calimocho.

lincasanova Sep 26th, 2010 12:39 AM

I slice some orange, and peach in pitcher. douse with sugar and a bit of cognac or other spirit. Let marinate with bottle of cheap wine. Pour 7-up later into pitcher to weaken it a bit and lots of ice to cool it off.

Just play around with the amount of 7-up or lemon drink you add to the wine to see how biting or strong you like it. Same for the sugar.

tobyo Sep 26th, 2010 05:14 AM

when I was a student in Madrid 30 (gasp!) years ago we would just pour red wine and Fanta naranja (orange soda) or Fanta limon (lemon/lime) into a pitcher. and add cut up fruit. Stir and serve! I don't remember amounts however and doubt we ever measured anything :) We were all happy with our creation and made it many times. I like the liquor additions mentioned here, I may have to try them!

Echnaton Sep 26th, 2010 08:01 AM

This is my favourite recipe - it is almost 40 years old when I had my first sangria in Formentera:

- Put cubed fruits in a pitcher - whatever you have: strawberries, pineapple, melon, peach etc.

- Add just a little amount of sugar and let soak for 15 minutes (so the aromatic juices come out of the fruit).

- Add a wineglass of brandy, a glass of rum, half a glass of gin and a shot of vermouth wine (important!) and let the fruits marinate for at least a couple of hours.

- Add some lemon juice and orange juice and a bottle of chilled red wine. Add ice and serve.

BillJ Sep 26th, 2010 08:21 AM

Wow, thanks you guys. Looks like I got lots of work to do. But it's fun work, for sure.

Revulgo Sep 27th, 2010 04:59 AM

My home recipe is red wine, Fanta lemon, peach in chunks, slice of orange, sugar, a shot of red Martini, a shot of dry gin and ice cubes. Too alcoholic sangrias are not good.

SamanthaCanyon Sep 10th, 2013 03:02 PM

I know this is an old thread, but was hoping for more ideas/recipes for a BBQ this weekend

Robert2533 Sep 10th, 2013 05:59 PM

Try a good, young fruity wine from Spain. The receipts above remain the same.

worldinabag Sep 27th, 2013 03:04 AM

An additional ingredient I use is a vanilla stick.