Sandi and I bicycle Europe solo

May 25th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Richard

Sandi and I bicycle Europe solo

We would be glad to share our experiences. We have just returned from SW Jutland and Northern Germany. We have cycled Ireland, Italy's lake district, Austria, Normandy, the Romantic Road, down the Rhine and up the Mosel and many side trips. A profile: we are "seniors", 64 and 54, ride hybrids, don't make reservations and carry all our gear in our panniers.

May 25th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Maira

If I remember correctly, did you get to Sylt? Will love to hear about it and/or about Northern Germany.

Better yet, what about a book?

May 27th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Richard

Hi Maira, we did indeed get to Sylt and cycled the length and breadth, from Hornum to List via Keitum. Certain aspects reminded us of Nantucket, Kampen in particular. Our route was from Frankfurt Airport to Husum via rail, then on to the islands of Föhr and Anrum, then Sylt, ferry to Romo and cycle to Ribe, to Tonder and then to the Baltic Coast starting in Flensburg then Kiel, Plön and Lübeck. There our bike trip ended, we loaded our bikes on the car of our friends, drove to Hamburg for a once-in-a-ten-year festival and then on to their home in Delmenhorst.

May 27th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Vesta

Richard, I've been looking into self-guided bike tours in Europe. Most of them are too expensive, except maybe the Dutch company, Cycletours. I'm in the states and don't want to take my bike over. I've also found a company in Holland (Tulip Cycle) that rents bikes for $27.00 a day and the panniers are a couple bucks a day, too. They give you a "free" cell phone, which I don't think I'd even know how to use. Does this seem overpriced to you?

May 27th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Maira

Hi Richrad! Sylt is one of those places I got to get to! Where did you stay along the way? Did you rent the bikes or took your own?

May 28th, 2001, 06:01 AM
steve

Vesta - why don't you want to take your bike? WIll you be biking the whole trip (in which case I would take mine - it isn't that much of a hassle), or will you just bike for part of the trip?

$27 per day seems like quite a bit. You might check with the Cycle Touring Club in England (they have a website) to see if they have a list of places to rent.

Most of the self guided tours do seem overpriced - what are you getting? a route map and some reservations?

If you can read a map, then route selection isn't hard (stay on the small roads) and for the most part, when you are in the smaller towns, it isn't hard to find a place. The only time I ever had trouble was in a small (5 house/B&B) village in Austria. And the 4th one we tried did have a room.

May 28th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Richard

VESTA, If you're just renting a bike for day trips, $27.00/day seems expensive. While we waited for our lost bikes to arrive we rented 3-speed well maintained bikes in Husum for $12.00/day, equipped with a large basket and a rear "rat trap". I don't see the need for panniers or cell phone.A 1999-2000 brochure I received from the Holland tourist board shows typical rentals at $5.75/day, $17.50/week. We plan to tour Holland April/May of 2002. HTH.

May 28th, 2001, 07:12 AM
Richard

MAIRA, After leaving Husum we cycled to Dagebüll, took the ferry to Wyk, on the island of Föhr, stayed in Wyk 2 nights and did a day trip to Amrum. Took the ferry back to Dagebüll, cycled to Niebüll and took the train (the only way to get to Sylt) to Westerland. We always take our bikes with us, we have them fitted with the racks we need for our panniers, handlebar bags, etc.

Nov 24th, 2001, 10:18 AM
nitpicker

1. If the two of you did it together, you were not "solo"

2. Age 54 is NOT "senior"!!!

Nov 24th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Tim

I agree that it wasn't solo trip and also today even at 64 is not senior.
Anyway, did you have a good time? What are hybrids?

Feb 7th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Michael

I am planning a bicyle tour of Ireland in September. can you tell me where you visited what the roads were like and did you enjoy it! I am planning on spending about 3 weeks in Ireland.

Feb 7th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Lauren

I hope you made it to the puppetry museum in Lubeck!