San Sebastian to Lisbon drive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering an open jaws trip, concluding in Lisbon. Any info/opinions on driving from San Sebastian to Lisbon will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 07:30 AM

How much time do you have? Time of year?
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 07:55 AM

Good questions Robert, I have some more to add; what are your interests? have you driven in these counties before?
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

late September, early October. Looks like it is about a 1000km trip, so I was thinking about dividing it up in 2 to 4 days. Likes are food, wine, hiking and scenery. I have not driven these countries, but have driven extensively in Europe. thnx
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 02:19 PM

Hopefully you have found a car hire company which allows you to pick up a car in one country and drop of in another. There are a few around but they can prove to be expensive.
In a 1000km you have well 1000s of places to stay. Places like Burgos and Salamanca spring to mind.
One thing to note unless you stay at least 2 nights in one location you will not have time to see everything at that stop. So maybe plan for three nights stop at several locations to make it more relaxed. That way you will also have time to do a few hikes as well.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 02:22 PM

PS don't forget the daylight hours are getting shorter so driving times can be reduced if you do not like driving in the dark.
Portugal has one of the worse road death records in Europe. So driving there is a lot different to the Europe you may have been used too
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 02:57 PM

OH No, I would strongly recommend you NOT to drive here in Portugal. I've been driving for 4 days, from Lisboa to Algarve, Algarve to Lisboa, Cascais to Sintra, etc (about 1000+ km) and I believe Portugal is as bad as Italian as they say here, the worse drivers I've encountered so far.

Drivers are EXTREMELY agresive, they will tailgate you at 140 kms. I've been driving in the A2 at 140 km (maximum 120 kms) and I had guys on my tail pushing me to get on the side (everybody drives fast cars, Audi, VMW, Mercedes and those ridiculous Smartcar at incredible speeds. They average 160km in highways, so unless you have nerves of steel and have miles and miles of experience I would not drive here. There is no right of way, they don't get out of the first lane when you are merging on the highway, they keep going, there is limited red lights, rotondas everywhere and if you are letting them pass and get on the shoulder they don't even get it!

Please save the agravation and stay away from driving here.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 03:05 PM

I forgot, we are going to San Sebastian from Lisbon on Thursday and I've looked into everything under the sun to get us there because there is some sort of strikes going on here, and I believe train is the only direct way to go. Train leaves/arrive Lisbon Oriente or Santa Apolonia Station right by Alfama. Renfe and Portuguese trains.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 06:19 PM

I took the overnight train from San Sebastian to Lisbon in a T-6. The train is OK. There is a one hour time difference between Spain and Portugal. Bring your own toilet paper. View the tile murals in the stations.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 01:52 AM

pooky.. at least you survived but all the power to you for keeping your wits about you and keep driving.
Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 02:16 AM

I was reading the thread and saw:

"I believe Portugal is the worse drivers I've encountered so far"

I don't dispute, since it is an opinion and opinions, by its own nature, are not to be disputed. And quality is something you can't measure, quantify and compare.

My problem came with the sentence: "Portugal has one of the worse road death records in Europe".

Now is a different situation, since now we are not dealing with opinions but statistics. I made a quick research in Internet and found some links I'd like to share with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

Portugal has a death rate of 11.8 and it is outnumbered by fine countries, such as USA with 12.3

Ok, I know wikipedia is not a reliable source, can't be quoted in scientific studies, and I digged a bit more and found another interesting document, from an official EU entity:

http://www.erscharter.eu/sites/defau...stics_2008.pdf

I call your attention to page 46 where it shows Portugal very close to the average death rate in European terms, as I expected.

Of course there is a long way still ahead. All criticisms are welcome, since they help the targets to improve.

"It is harder to crack a prejudice than an atom". Albert Einstein
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 05:02 AM

Statistics can be bent any way you want...this shows a very different picture.
http://www.abd.org.uk/safest_roads.htm
There are aggressive drivers and they are the ones who are dangerous.