Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

San Sebastian for 3 days-what to do and what to eat!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
My husband and I are driving from the UK to san sebastian and we will be there for 3 days before driving across to the begur area for 2 weeks. What should we not miss seeing? Is a trip to Bilbao a must? Any recommendations for accommodation greatly appreciated. Simple is fine, preferably close to Pintxo bars and finally it's our anniversary while we are there. Where should we splash the cash on a super meal?
best wishes
Anne
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 11:43 AM

I spent a few days in San Sebastian a few months back; we also did a day trip by bus to Bilbao. I did not eat at any of the famous high-end places bus we did eat lots of pinxtos and some excellent full meals. You can read through this rather long report which focused on food:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34894706
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 11:54 AM

I would splash the cash on lunch at Akelare. Great views and wonderful food!
Make sure to visit www.maribelsguides.com.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 12:06 PM

When are you planning this trip? The price of accommodations vary with the season and you can get some decent deals in San Sebastian-Donostia during low season, but Bilbao is usually a better deal year around. Since you are driving, I suggest you take a look at a Casa Rural, most of which will cost you around 55 to 65 euros/night. There are several in Hondarribia to choose from, as well as around San Sebastian.

Being that you are going to be in the gastronomic capital of the world, most average neighborhood restaurants offer outstanding cuisine, but there are those exceptions worth the money. Arzak, Akelarre, Mugaritz and Zuberoa are four of the top names, but there is also Mendi Goikoa and Etxebarri (Axpe), Baserri Maitea Restaurante (Forúa), Alameda Restaurante (Hondarribia) and Casa Nicolasa (San Sebastian), to name just a few of the dozens of great restaurants offering outstanding Basque cuisine.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your help. We did consider renting an apartment but a swe are completely new to San Seb thought it might be best to stay in a hotel and pick the brains of the hotel staff. Problem is I need something with car parking and quite central and also with a fridge for medication. Tried to download Maribels guides a few times but the message from Adobe said the files were damaged and couldn't be repaired.
ekscrunchy-I thoroughly enjoyed your report
best wishes
Anne

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Meant to say our trip commences on the 26th May till the 30May
best wishes
Anne
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 03:52 AM

I suggest a day trip along the seaside road (not the highway): Orio, Zarautz, a good lunch (cogote de merluza) in Getaria and reach Zumaia.
Back to San Seb by the highway.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you
I obviously have not allowed enough time for San seb. For those interested in food I found this site which covers the pintxos bars and recommends routes. Includes pics and recipes. An excellent site
http://www.todopintxos.com/ruta/ruta.php

best wishes
anne

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi
any recommendations for 1 or non starred restaurants. we will be able to splash the cash on one expensive meal probably Akelare from the recommendations that I have read. Any suggestions for other restaurants. One with a sea view would be good for one day
thanks
Anne
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:13 AM

As you can read in my report, we did not eat at any of the starred places in San Sebastian; I liked Juanito Kokotxa very much and would recommend that for food, but it is in the heart of the Parte Vieja and not on the water. It is not fancy.

But please put Cuchara de San Telmo on your list. Once you have sampled their foie and other pinxtos, you may not even want a full meal on some nights. It is a tiny bit hard to find, and can be smokey, if that is an issue, but please do not miss. The food in San Sebastian is so amazing, you will be amazed and delighted!
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the recommendation. Do you have an address for Cuchara de San Telmo
best wishes
anne
Just need to book somewhere to stay now! Can't decide whether to do a simple hotel/hostal or an apartment
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi again
just a question about ordering Pintxos.Is it customary to order them one at a time or to order a selection together
best wishes
Anne
Are the menus in English as well as Euskera?
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:14 AM

Anne, San Telmo is on a cul de sac off 31 de Agosto. I will look up my receipts and find a more accurate description for you as soon as I have time.
We ordered one pintxo per person at one time but someone else will tell you if this is the correct etiquette. You must order the foie at San Telmo, for starters! They are open for lunch as well.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you sooo much. Where did you stay in San Seb?
best wishes
Anne
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:49 AM

Part of the fun in San Sebastian and Bilbao is getting to see the food, which varies from bar to bar. No menu, point at what you like and that's it. To stop at a lot of bars, we opted to share one small wine or beer at each place and have 1 or 2 selections per bar. We walked in and out checking out the food without problems.
Though we had a car, we took the bus from Hondarribia to San Sebastian on our second visit, because the traffic was too much bother.
Bilbao has a lovely old town as well, full of bars. The Museum of Fine Art is very wortwhile. The Guggenheim has little art, but great architecture.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Anne we stayed at Hotel Niza on the beach; although we asked for a sea view room when we booked, they would not guarantee one and, in fact, did not give us one. It was fine but not wonderful. I described it in the trip report I posted above; also look there for more information on eating. I would say it was a 20 minutes walk from the Parte Vieja and further to the Gros area which reportedly also has fabulous pinxto bars. If you are not there in beach weather or do not care about being on the beach, I would try to stay closer to the "action."
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 12:32 PM

Anne, La Cuchara de San Telmo is listed as being on the Corredor de San Telmo, sin numero (no street number), off the Calle 31 de Agosto. At the end of Calle 31 Agosto closest to the water, walk east with your back toward the water. After the church, take a left in a cul de sac and look for it on your righthand side.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you

I contacted the Niza and as was your experience they would not promise a sea view. I am thinking of the Hostal Alemana which seems to be closer to the old quarter.
have a good weekend
Anne
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Don't limit yourself to the parte viejo for pintxos. Check out the area across Boulevard from parte viejo. There some great places around the Hotel LOndres area. My favorite is Roja y Negro. The Concurso de Pintxos will have taken place a couple of weeks before you get there but many places will still be featuring their entry. They are special.

I think Bilbao is better than its reputation. However, unless you are dying to see the museum, I'd pend the time in SS.