Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to divide the budget for Santorini, Mykonos, and Naxos, and what order?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2011, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be taking a 30th anniversary trip to the Greek Islands. The last time we were in Greece we were on our honeymoon, but not to these islands. I remember staying in Rhodes for $3 a night. But I digress. This time, I'd like to stay in some luxurious places, but looking at the prices, we probably won't want to spend the money necessary to be in the lap of luxury every night. So, I would appreciate suggestions for where to spend the big bucks and where to go for quaint and charming. For Santorini, it will be a must to see the caldera and the sunsets. I do not know enough about Mykonos to know whether to stay in town or the beach... and I am completely open for Naxos. We will be going in September or early October. Also,,,, any suggestions about what order to take the islands in. Note to pocketfullofdreams: this will be you in 30 years.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 07:20 AM

Be prepared to open your wallets wide on Santorini and Mykonos as they have lots of tourists and charge a premium. On Santorini you should have a room with a Caldera View. There are lots of luxurious hotels there. You do not state a budget so it is hard to advise. On Mykonos you might want to stay in town as that is where the activity is. There is a good bus service out to the beaches.
Naxos is where you get good value for your money. Hotels and dining will be far less expensive. I always recommend St George beach area as it is a decent beach just a 10 minute stroll away from all the activities of Naxos town. That means you get the best of a beach vacation and the urban activities in one place.
At St George we always stay at Hotel Glaros a modest small family run hotel at the beach. it is being remodeled this winter so it can only be better than when we last stayed there. Higher quality hotels are Naxos Resort beach Hotel back about 50 meters with lovely landscaping and a great pool. Hotel Galaxy just next door but back about 100 meters from the beach, In my opinion Hotel Nikassi beside Glaros gives you the most luxury an best location.

Island sequence is probably fly to Santorini, ferry to Naxos end up in Mykonos or reverse the order. Logically naxos should be your middle island. If you can do late September rather than early October I would consider that to be the best option.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 07:43 AM

What is your maximum daily room budget? Do you have any mobility issues that would prevent you from step-climbing?
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

STanbr, thanks for the recs.
Lee, we'd like to spend 300Eu in Santorini and don't mind stairs, but prefer not to have an infinite number to climb. What are your thoughts about Oia vs. Fira (or nearby) in late September.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 06:55 AM

I forgot to provide you with pictures of Naxos. You can see St George beach area here along wiht the town.
http://travel.webshots.com/album/552001505EYxVYT
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 07:57 AM

Fira is the social/commercial center of Santorini, and as such is always the liveliest part of the island. Oia is the most beautiful village and it's a lot quieter in spite of the daily influx of visiting cruise ship passengers.

Fira: check Scirocco Apartments, Hotel Kavalari, Enigma Apartments, Tzekos Villas, Porto Fira Suites, Aigialos Houses, Athena Repose, Loucas Hotel, Cosmopolitan Suites, Caldera Studios, Panorama Hotel, Villa Ilias, Hotel Keti, Dana Villas, Ira Hotel.

Oia: Check Strogili Houses, Rimida Villas, Nostos Apartments, Kima Villas, Atrina Houses, Filotera Villas, MyBlue, Ifestio Villas, Golden Sunset Villas, Marizan Villas, Fanari Villas, La Perla Villas, Esperas Houses, Oia Mare, Alexander's Boutique Hotel and Onar Villas.
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

BLL 2004
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

BLL 2004
What do you think of Anastasis Apartments in Imerovigli ( TripAdvisor #1) or other options there?
Best regards,
Flying away
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 08:53 PM

Anastasis-excellent hotel with fantastic views of both the caldera and the sunset. The one possible drawback is its location outside of Imerovigli towards Oia, meaning it's further out from the shops and restaurants than most of the hotels there. Walking back to Imerovigli from a night in Fira will be uphill over 1.5 miles. A car is recommended for convenience.
Old May 1st, 2011, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Does Imerovigli have shops or restaurants? Or, is the hotel in an isolated location?
Thanks, flyingaway
Old May 1st, 2011, 09:34 AM

Yes and yes.
Old May 1st, 2011, 09:54 AM

By September, and definitely by October, rates will have fallen significantly from their summer highs. That doesn't mean that luxe properties will be cheap but they will be much cheaper. Send some emails to the places you most like, they may also be willing to thrown in some extras, such as an extra night, discounts, etc.

Yes, you want the caldera view in Santorini. We thought Oia the most "perfect" spot on the island. EVerything is within walking distance, great dining options. Magical.

For Mykonos rates too will drop markedly by October. But, the chances of good beach weather may drop too. Thus, if that is true you may indeed want to stay in town, particularly since the beach areas will show big drop offs in visitors by that time of year. Your best dining options also will be in town. Rent a car for the day in Mykonos, the island is great to explore a bit, with some beautiful beaches. Have fun.