Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

San Remo, Italy area for a night or two?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still working on an extra night or two between my month in Italy (last stop a week in Montepulciano) and a stay in Cannes, France. One concern I now have is that we were planning on dropping off the car once we got to Cannes. But to save $260 drop off charge, it is going to be smart to drop it off in San Remo. And since the quick no change trains from San Remo to Cannes don't operate during the middle of the day, it would really be good to turn the car in before 10 in the morning (also saving an extra day's use charge. So wouldn't mind staying relatively near San Remo.

I'm not into beach resort and not interested in doing Monte Carlo again right now, was thinking about going up to Roquebrune for a night or two, but can't seem to find much in the way of hotels, except down at the beach. Any ideas?
We'd like to keep the hotel down to below about 150 euro if possible, more for a really wonderful place.
Any reason to stay in San Remo itself? Any recommendations other than the big "beach style resorts"? Any other wonderful spots to stay closer to San Remo that say Portofino?
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm. Have found what looks like a really wonderful spot between Menton and Ventimiglia called Baia Beniamin. It looks like a wonderful restaurant with 5 really elegant rooms upstairs facing the sea. Anyone know this place? Looks like it could be a perfect one night stop.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:49 PM
rex

It sure does look good. I am a fan of the car/train switch in San Remo - - but it works best from Italy, turning IN a car before departing the next morning headed for Franceee.

We have stayed at the Nyala Suite Hotel in San Remo - - but your Baia Beniamin looks lovely - - a clear-cut above the Nyala. They don't seem to show any rates - - have you e-mailed them yet for prices?

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Rex, I'm waiting for a return email. Actually I suspect the restaurant is going to be expensive but probably worth it. But I also saw the rooms in a "Charming Hotels of. . ." guide and although a couple years old looked like about $175. I'm hoping. On the other hand, being so close to San Remo for an early return will save us one day's car rental. And we may be doing one of those cheapie AutoGrill lunches enroute that day from Montepulciano on the Autostrata. How's that for justification?
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

After not receiving any replies to my emails to Baia Beniamin, I faxed them. I received a hand written fax back that is to illegible to read, yet alone translate. However, the last word is clearly "completo" so it looks like they are already sold out on that Saturday night.

Back to the drawing board. Rex, I looked at Nyala Suites, but it describes it as a "quiet neighborhood" and is pretty pricey for just a one night stay to turn in our car. Any recommendations for a hotel in the busy port or beachfront areas for just one night? I also realize I may have some problems with 2 or 3 night minimums, especially for a weekend.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 10:35 AM

Patrick, Frankly, I am not a big San Remo fan--it has seen better days. I would stay in SML or Camogli, or go onto Menton. Just my 2 cents.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Bob, we may do that, but we need to drop the car off in San Remo before 9 AM, preferably by 8:30 AM, if we want to save an extra day's rental (yes, I realize that's earlier than I stated in my original post) and then catch an early train to Cannes. Menton is an option, but the others would require a pretty early departure to get to San Remo. Again, all we're looking at doing is arriving late in the afternoon, strolling around a bit, having a nice dinner and going to bed. Is San Remo not even good enough for that?
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 12:58 PM

Patrick:

San Remo isn't a dump, but it's not one of Italy's finest offerings, either. It's seen better days. However, it won't spoil your vacation to spend an afternoon and evening there. We did that a few years ago, and it was fine; we actually stayed two nights, which was probably one too many. We found it very hard to locate a restaurant, though - the town has a screwy kind of layout, with parts of it on both side of the railroad tracks. Ít's not obvious at all which direction to walk to find restaurants, and our experience was that they were kind of scattered around in unlikely places.
We stayed at the Hotel Royal in San Remo. I can't say I'd recommend it - we ended up there because we stupidly made no reservations, the kids were cranky, and they had a suite. Like the town itself, the Royal had a bit of faded glory, but the room was gargantuan, with an enormous balcony that had a view to the front over the Med and a view to the side up into the hills. Biggest hotel bathroom I've ever seen.I don't remember what we paid, but I do recall that for us it was a splurge. It was probably something like $450 for two nights - but that was for a suite for 4 people and a huge breakfast every morning.
Do drive up into the hills above the town - some lovely views from there.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks St. Cirq. Actually I tried a number of sites including their own for the Royal and couldn't get a standard room quoted below about 230 euro, and the comments about it just don't make me think it is worth it.
Meanwhile I've been looking at Menton. I'm very tempted to book the Hotel Napoleon, slightly out along the ports, but looks like easy walking distance into town. I think the nearby old port looks like the most interesting area anyway. They are actually closed now until next April for major renovation which seems like a good thing. If the site is correct it will cost something like 114 euro per night.

I'm even thinking we could turn the car in at San Remo and take the train to Menton. But actually would probably drive to Menton, spend the night and return the car the next morning to San Remo, then train from there to Cannes. Any idea how long the drive along the lower cornice from Menton to San Remo should take on an early Sunday morning? Mapquest automatically routes you up to the autostrata, but I think it might be nice to drive along the coast (fewer tunnels?) if we can do it an hour or less.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 05:37 PM

Don't drive in San Remo. This is one experience you can live without. Ditch the car and take a train.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 06:05 PM

I don't know why anyone would advise against driving in San Remo. It's just a coastal town with one main drag along the Med and then typical interior streets - wasn't a problem at all for us.
Patrick, I was there in either late July or early August - can't remember and would have to go check my trip reports to say - and traffic was pretty bad on that route from Ventimiglia, but I think you could make it from Menton to San Remo in a good deal less than an hour - it's only about 20 km, but Ventimiglia is a Mess!
Seems to me as we went through this area, between Menton and San Remo there were at least a couple of really pretty towns - maybe Santa Margherita and something else? I am without benefit of atlases at the computer this evening, so can't check, but I KNOW there were places between those two town we WISHED we had stopped at because they were so much prettier than San Remo.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 06:16 PM

Patrick, we dropped by the Napoleon this Sept when we were in Menton for the day. It was in our guide books and we were looking for lunch. The Calanque was closed on Monday. Bad planning! There was a nice dining terrace out front. The restaurant was closed and the place looked quite seedy. I really needed a restroom and I asked the woman at the reception desk where it was and she didn't want me to use it! We are a presentable middle aged couple, if I do say so myself [I used it anyway but my husband suffered until we lunched at a beach restaurant].
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 06:16 PM

I agree with St. Circ--the drive is not bad--you will going thru the best flower growing area in Europe. However, Menton is so much nicer than any of the adjacent towns in Italy.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

I've driven that area a number of times, but only from way above on the high road. Looking forward to the lower road -- traffic or not.
Yes, I'm now focusing on Menton. I have emailed the Hotel Napoleon. We'll have to see if they're answering emails now that they are closed for remodeling.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 01:42 AM
jmv

We've stayed at the Napolean a couple of times but not very recently. Location is fine. Right on the main drag as you go through town and on the eastern side. You can't miss it. Easy walk to beaches and to town. Don't recall it as the cutest, coziest place we've ever stayed but it was acceptable and reasonable. Has pool. Rooms fairly small as I recall. We leave Monday for a week in Menton. Have always wanted to see what the Riviera is like in winter and got a good plane fare. We'll be staying at the Western end of town at the Prince de Galles, a Best Western (so is the Napolean) that looks nice and is giving us an off-season rate of 80 euros double. A bit longer walk to main part of town but walking will be our thing to do on this trip so it fits. If you like, I'll be happy to report back when we get there about room conditions and rates, etc. When will you be there? Since we'll be spending a week we have lots of time to explore. Anything special you're planning for your stay in Cannes? We've been to the area before but I'm always interested in additional recommendations. Happy to help if I can.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, jmv. Yes, I don't really expect a lot from the Napoleon at a price of just over 100 a night in June (unless they raise their rates), but since they're closing for six months for renovations I suspect at least it will be considereably nicer. And the location looked good and easy for driving in and out, with easy parking.
The alternate hotel I think would be the Mediterranea (?) right in town. I didn't realize that Napoleon is also a Best Western. I didn't see that on their site. In the past I have sometimes gotten better rates from Best Western than direct with hotels especially as they may offer a senior price, while the hotel itself usually doesn't.

We've been to Cannes before. This time (end of June) we hope to do a couple of boat trips out to the small islands offshore. Also plan to go to St. Tropez for a day by the hydrofoil. We're not beach people on vacation, since we live near the beach at home, but really enjoy the "old town" and the little restaurants going up the hill in Cannes, just relaxing, and doing some boat trips out during our five days there. That's why we're actually turning in the car in San Remo before Cannes.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Hmm, jmv. Actually the Napoleon doesn't come up on the Best Western site. Maybe no longer affiliated?
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 06:30 AM

Patrick, we stayed at the Napoleon two years ago. To my knowledge, it wasn't renovated at that time so renovations must have been done after our visit. Anyway, we stayed for one night and it was fine. Rooms, at that time, had thin walls (we overheard some interesting conversations) and were somewhat small but we did have a balcony with a great view of the sea and Menton with its bell towers. Ask for a room on an upper floor with a balcony. I think the hotel had some rooms with a garden view - which means really no view here. Breakfast was good - basic things and was served out in the front terrace by the pool. The hotel restaurant on the 6th floor was closed at that time. We had a delicious dinner outside at the Hotel Orly right next to the Napoleon. The Napoleon is on the eastern outskirts of the town - in fact, my husband took a brief walk and ended up in Italy! Here is a place in Menton we just loved, but was booked when we were there:http://www.aiglon-hotel.com/

Hope this helps. We will be in Italy (Rome and Sorrento area)and France (Villefranche and Paris) for over 3 weeks in July so we are also in the midst of r and r - research and reservations - at this time.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 05:59 PM
rph

We will be in San Remo in mid March 2004 and our travel agent booked us at the Hotel Napoleon. Where did you get the info that they will be closed until April?
Also, the last post was confusing---were you at a Hotel Napoleon in Menton? We are booked for the one in San Remo-----so which one is going to be closed and who has info on the one in San Remo????THANKS!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

I have booked Hotel Napoleon in Menton and I think that's what Marianna was talking about. I don't know anything about one in San Remo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -