San Marco's and Doge's Palace

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am helping a friend plan a trip to Europe and while in Italy they want to spend a day in Venice.
What is the best time to visit the above to avoid the long queues - early morning or late afternoon?
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 06:56 PM

At what time of year will they be traveling?
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Oops - It will be in April 2008
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 02:26 AM
J62

The best time to visit is the time marked on your reservation. For St. Mark's you simply walk around the queue at the appointed time.

You can make a reservation online.

Ditto for Doge's palace and clock tower.

I'll see if I can dig up the website.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 03:52 AM
ira

Hi P,

I generally recommend against daytrip to Venice.

What's the itinerary?

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 05:45 AM

We went to the Basilica on a Tuesday morning - very very! long line waiting to get in. I had made the entry reservation online about 3 weeks before. Went to the front of the very long line and showed the guard my email. He said, 'of course, please! come in', and my h. and myself did just that.
http://www.alata.it/eng/BOOKING/sanmarco.asp

The line to go up the Campanile in the morning was also quite long, but we went up it the afternoon before and there weren't so many in front of us (around 5:30 maybe).

If they are going to the Colosseum in Rome, they need to make similar preparations. We bought the Romapass for the bus and some museums - with that, we also were able to circumvent a tremendously long line for the Colosseum. Others say you can buy combo tickets at Palatine Hill as well.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 06:06 AM

We had reservations at St. Marks for 2:00 and didn't need them. Seems if you go in the morning, you most certainly do; if you go in the afternoon, skip it. The Basilica, by the way, is free, but DO pay to see the extras... it makes the whole trip!
Consider the Doge's Palace, as well, since you are there, with the audio or some other tour. It was magnificent. We did the Secret Itineraries tour (enter it into the search here for more info) and we just ADORED it; others have been less impressed.
Also for a day trip to Venice, be sure and take the #1 Vaporetto route around the grand canal. That should take the day: the vaporetto trip, say in the morning, St. Marks Square including the basilica and Doge's in the afternoon. The campanile last, I would say, or whatever order the lines seem best to approach.
For Rome, definitely buy your ticket on Palatine hill. It's just a short walk up and will save you an hour or more. Our biggest regret of our entire vacation, by the way, is that we didn't spend long enough, or buy the audio tour, of the Palatine Hill/Imperial Fora area. There is so much there, and without a guide, we only stumbled through. Have fun!!!!!
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 06:11 AM

The Basilica opens for the public at 9-something on weekdays and the long line starts to form at about 8am., but there should be a morning mass at 8 or 8:30. Ask at your hotel. Facing the Basilica, look for an entrance on the left side, go in, and, if asked, say you want to attend the mass. You will not be allowed in wearing shorts, or with sleeveless tops. You won't be allowed to stroll while you are inside. I am not Catholic, but listening to the priest chant the mass while surrounded with the beauties inside the Basilica was a memorable experience. After the mass, which is only a half-hour, you will have time inside the Basilica with almost no other people inside. When it does open to visitors, you can be among the first in line to buy a ticket inside to see the Pala d'Oro (gold and jeweled altar piece) and Treasury if you decide to see them. You may also go up to the Loggia dei Cavalli (the outdoor terrace where the horses overlook the Piazza. These horses are copies; the originals from Constantinople are upstairs also, but inside. You should be able to leave the Basilica around 10 am, perfect time to start the tour of the Doge's Palace.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Thanks for your help. I have tried booking online through Alata but it wont accept my info. Does this website only operate in the USA? It appears okay but I cant get a response from them. Cheers Pawsha
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 05:27 PM

Thanks for all the great information. This forum is wonderful--allowing us to maximize our time and money in Italy.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 05:45 PM

Boo.kmarking thank you