Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   San Lorenzo vs. Guelfa Apt in Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/san-lorenzo-vs-guelfa-apt-in-florence-376232/)

Rigs Nov 14th, 2003 08:30 AM

San Lorenzo vs. Guelfa Apt in Florence

I am planning a trip to Italy for four people. Ideally, three bedrooms and two baths would be the perfect setup. Has anyone stayed at the Guelfa Apts? I am leaning towards the San Lorenzo because I prefer that location, however, the apt is a two bedroom with one bath. Any other apt reccomendations in the San Lorenzo area? Any and all advice will be much appreciated.

Grazie e buona giornata!!

amcc Nov 14th, 2003 08:56 AM

If you mean the apartment run by the owners of Torre Guelfa across the street, we stayed there in 2001. The apartment was large and comfortable. I can't remember the setup too well, but there was a loft. I'm sure the owners can give you the breakdown in terms of how the beds are set up right now. I found the location great - it's a quiet street, but within 5 or 10 minutes walking of most everywhere we wanted to go. We would easily walk across the river for dinner. However, once we moved across the street to the hotel, I hated it, and wouldn't go back.

Statia Nov 14th, 2003 09:38 AM

I'm not familiar with Guelfa, but we stayed at San Lorenzo apartments, run by Gianna Galeota, and would stay there again. The price, location, and ammenties were perfect.

suzy Nov 14th, 2003 11:31 AM

Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with the Guelfa, but we recently stayed at the San Lorenzo for 4 nights & would certainly recommend it. We stayed in the Alberti which has a loft bedroom as well as one on the same level as the living room/kitchen/bath. (True, there is only 1 bath.) There's more than 1 apartment at the San Lorenzo.

soleil Nov 14th, 2003 03:03 PM

I will be staying in Florence with my family of 12 in March. The San Lorenzo sounds perfect. Is there anyway to book through the owner? Will they rent for less than a week? Thank you for any help.

rcc Nov 14th, 2003 03:11 PM

I will be in Florence in April and my wife had booked San Lorenzo apartments (Farelli, if I remember correctly). My wife booked it through www.sleepinginflorence.com.
A day after we did not get a response, I made a call to Gianna (the telephone number was in the website). Very nice-sounding lady and she confirmed our booking thereafter with an email for the price stated in the website.

Statia: I actually read about San Lorenzo through your posts. It appears like the apartment is near Mercato Centrale. If not, can you tell me where exactly in Florence is this aparment? Thank you.

suzy Nov 14th, 2003 04:03 PM

Soleil & rcc -
When we contacted Gianna by e-mail, she was very prompt in all her replies. We were interested in the Alberti, which is listed on the website SleepinginFlorence as by the week but she told us we could rent by the day (we were there 4 nights).
The Central Market is very close by. I believe it closes around 2 in the afternoon.

Statia Nov 14th, 2003 04:08 PM

Soliel: We rented the Lepri apartment for four nights. I think her minimum is three nights for most of the apartments, but it could possibly be less. As Suzy said, just email Gianna from sleepiginflorence.com....she is very prompt in responding.

rcc: The apartment building is on Borgo San Lorenzo, exactly 1/2 block between the Duomo and San Lorenzo church. It is also very close to Mercato Centrale. We found it to be the perfect location for our stay. There are wonderful restaurants and wine bars on the same street, as well.

janetele Nov 14th, 2003 08:58 PM

I have booked the San Lorenzo apartment for 3 days in Nov, so I guess you don't have to rent for an entire week. Carla has been very quick with e-mail responses, helpful, and informative. I will post when I return and let you know what I think of the place.

soleil Nov 15th, 2003 04:40 AM

Thank you to everyone with your information concerning the San Lorenzo. I will contact Gianna.
Do you happen to know if the apartments are close to the train station?

suzy Nov 15th, 2003 09:53 AM

The San Lorenzo apartments are close enough to the train station. We had 2 wheeled carry ons and 2 smaller bags and managed without any problems.

Rigs Dec 7th, 2003 08:51 AM

Thank you all for your responses. We have decided to rent an apt in San Lorenzo. Has anyone ever stayed in the rooms on the second floor? I'm just wondering what they look like (size, etc.). As they are currently being renovated, there are no photos on the website.

Grazie e Ciao

janetele Dec 9th, 2003 06:05 AM

My family of 5 stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment at the San Lorenzo. gianna was very helpful, the location is good, and the price is right. I was a little disappointed in the apartment. I knew there was no a lift, but really didn't know how hard it would be to walk up 60 stairs with suitcases. Also, the sofa was dirty, andthe apartment was not very soundproof. We had very loud neighbors who came in at 3am, talking very loudly, and other people would yell at them to be quite. Needless, to say, we had a few nights with very little sleep and therefore, less energy during the day. Good luck with your apartment search.