Reload this Page >

San Gimignano or Castellina

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 01:40 AM
alexia

My boyfriend and I will be spending 3 nights in the area in October. Which town would you recommend? We will want to day trip to Sienna and Florence and also experience the countryside. WE will be hiring a car and are looking at a 3/4* hotel. Thanks

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 02:26 AM
marko

Definately castellina, lovely place and San Gim is not really too far away, you can do it on the way back from Siena.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 02:49 AM
Elsa

Definately SG.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 02:55 AM
Elsa

Oops! I pushed the button too fast - I meant to add that Castellina MAY be a little more handy as far as getting to Florence or Siena, but I don't think THAT much better. Castellina has a lovely setting, but SG is such a unique old town.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Ginger

I have a related question. We were thinking of seeing Castellina in Chianti earlier in the day and then heading for San Gimignano in the afternoon. Is this too much for one day, particularly with the driving? We are staying near Poggibonsi and the road from there to Castellina in Chianti looks like a true Tuscan hillside road experience! Are both towns manageable in a day? Thanks.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Dayle

Hi Ginger! If you are talking about the road I think you are - it's a long drive! Returning from SG, we accidently got on the wrong road, the one through the forest, higher elevation, more twisty through Castellina. My friend who gets car sick was NOT a happy camper! Plus it is a long drive & slow going. Try to take the alternate route.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 06:38 AM
sandi

If you decide to stay in San G., check out Hotel L’Antico Pozzo (Via S. Matteo, 87), which is the main street through town. Very nice hotel and our room was beautiful. They have a nice website too.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:47 PM
ttt

toping<BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Mark

Castellina to San Gim is a doddle, good roads and some good views if you end up doing a lot of mountain driving you have taken the wrong road. If you are staying near Poggibonsi both San Gim and Castellina are a very short drive, in fact so is Siena, Volterra and Firenze is a quick (and I do mean QUICK) trip up the autostrada.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 07:42 PM
ttt

toping