Search

San Francisco - Europe for the first time

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco - Europe for the first time

Hello fellow travelers! I need help!
I'm a 36 year old single male, going solo to Europe for the first time and may I add that I'm a pro photographer.

I only have about 11 days (9 of actual travel) and I have decided to do VENICE ITALY, GENEVA area of SWITZERLAND, and PARIS FRANCE.

I know its a short trip but I'm thinking 3 days each and using the EURAIL TRAIN.

Fly into Italy, fly out of Paris

Questions...
#1 Which train systems are best?

#2 Any suggestions on each area?

#3 Is this a feasible plan?

Much Thanks,

Hov
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 06:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
see the comments on your other thread . . . . .

(you just don't have time for 3 countries - you need to factor in losing 1/2 to 1 full day every time you check out and move to a new city)
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 06:36 AM

You can minimize the time lost to moving from place to place by taking the last train of the day to the next destination. In this way, your travel is during normal "down time" and hardly impacts your sightseeing at all.

The TGV from Geneva to Paris, for example, only takes about 3½ hours. You can leave at 19:23 after a full day in Switzerland and arrive in Paris at 22:45.

There is no Eurail train. Each country has a national railway, which together sell transportation under the Eurailpass brand. But your itinerary as stated in no way justifies the cost of a pass. Unless you're going to travel a <u>lot</u> in each country, buy single tickets from the Italian and French railway sites, www.trenitalia.it and www.voyages-sncf.fr
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 07:02 AM

You may be better off financially buying point to point tickets rather than getting any sort of pass...and if you did the latter you would need one that covers all three countries.

You can go to www.railsaver.com and input the proposed itinerary to compare prices.

There is direct rail service from Venice to Geneva...the fastest services would be those on Cisalpino trains. You can also take other trains which require changes

www.cisalpino.com

You can also fly from Geneva to Paris Orly on Easyjet although it might be overall faster to take a TGV and you wouldn't have to concern yourself with airline checked luggage restrictions.

Check www.skyscanner.net forother budget flights such as those between Venice and geneva on Baboo.

I disagree with Janis that you don't have enough time for three countries. You don't have time for a lot of <b>depth</b> but if you plan it right you can easily do these three cities.

Old Apr 8th, 2007, 08:03 AM
mjs

I agree with janisj. This is especially true if you want to take alot of photos.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 08:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have done exactly those 3 cities (departing Seattle). But I had 3 weeks.

I flew into Geneva. Stayed in Vevey/Montreux. Took the overnight train from Vevey to Venice in a private cabin sleeper. Another overnight Venice to Paris (thru Milan). Flew home from Paris.

It was a FANtastic trip, but 11 days will be VERY tight. You don't need a Eurail pass, if that's what you mean by &quot;Eurail train&quot;. Just point-to-point tickets w/ reservation for your sleeping arrangements.

Old Apr 8th, 2007, 09:02 AM

I've taken trips like this and will no doubt again, even for as few as 11 days. It's really a 3 city trip, not so much 3 countries (even though the cities are in 3 countries).

I love traveling on trains in Europe. I would not do it at night because I love to watch the countryside go by. It will give you a chance to see more of Europe. Bring a notebook so you can jot down the names of all the stops you're determined to come back to!

I agree, buy point to point tickets. Since you can fly direct/non stop to Paris I would start there and try to get a cheap flight back from Venice to Paris for a direct/non stop return flight. (or vice versa, depending on your personal preference).

While you're on Lac Leman, be sure to get out ON the lake. One of my favorite things to do was the boat ride from Montreux to Geneva (and a train ride back).
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 09:13 AM

Catbert: but he only has 9 days on the ground - minus one day for jet lag. 8+ days is hard for three cities in the SAME country, let alone as far apart as the places he wants to visit.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 09:44 AM

and why bother to return to Paris? why not just fly home from the last city?
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 09:46 AM

I think it is possible in 8 days, using overnight trains twice. This would not be my preference but would get the job done.

Fly into Geneva and go directly out to Montreux or Vevey. Stay 3 days. Take overnight train to Venice (leaves around midnight arrive early AM at Santa Lucia). Stay 2 days. Overnight train to Paris. Stay 3 days. Fly home from Paris... 8 days total on the ground.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 10:12 AM

That doesn't sound optimal to me, since Venice is south of Geneva and Paris is to its north. Going to Switzerland first will inevitably require backtracking, wasting precious time.

Better to start at one end of the continent and return from the other.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 10:23 AM

Robsepierre~~ Of course you are correct, Ilooking at a map is always a good idea!

My trip went in that order for other personal reasons (staying with friends along the way) or possibly poor planning.

I mention it only (not because it's so smart but) because it worked and fits what HovsWorld said he wants to do.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Hov,
I replied on your other post. I didn't realize you are a photographer. With that being the case, I recommend London only if you have time to get outside the city. I am headed to Amsterdam and Paris soon for the same reason. The English countryside is beautiful. What kind of photography do you do? Are you looking for architecture or gardens, etc.? I am also a professional photographer, but on a small scale, selling travel photography. You can see my website at www.travelswithdiane.com.

Another option is staying within Italy. Venice is magical. Lake Como and Tuscany ooze with charming photo opps.

Please let us know more.

Diane
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 11:40 AM

&quot;...he only has 9 days on the ground - minus one day for jet lag.&quot;

Huh? He's going to be <u>in</u> Europe and capable of walking or riding a tour bus. I don't see how that cancels out a day. Granted, the second day (especially after changing one's body clock by <i>nine</i> hours) might be a little less ambitious than the rest, but <b>zeroing</b> the whole day? I don't think so. Remember, the arrival day has already been factored out of the total 11.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 12:50 PM

ok- 9 days, 3 each city (that's what Hov said back in the OP as a tentative plan anyways).
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who replied to my posting and gave me some great advice, which made it easy for me to book my trip! Sorry for posting twice but I needed to book before sunday the 8th and I needed advice in a hurry!

So I went ahead and booked a flight from SFO-LONDON April 21, then flying out of PARIS back to SFO MAY 4th which should give me 10-11 days of travel rather than the 9 I had originally planned for... so I gave myself 2 extra days!

Now that I have my airfare out of the way, I have 2 weeks to figure out the where's and what's nuts and bolts of my trip and how I will divide my legs.

I want my trip to be flexible so I think I will only book my hotel for the first 2 days and my last 2 days, so I can let the wind take me where ever and whenever I wish to go in between.

I was thinking LONDON-AMSTERDAM-PARIS... how I divide my trip will be determined later... this is where I am open to suggestion and any advice you have will be very much appreciated.

Again I am single, 36, p/t pro photographer and a f/t wine distributor (yet I am not here for wine work, nor do I want to go to Bordeaux.

Any ideas or sugggestions, please send them my way as far as where to go, trains, food, social life, etc etc!

Thanks,

HovsWorld

PS: Maybe booking hotels now is key?
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 04:34 PM

I just don't get the thrill of not booking hotels. Especially when you already know you are going to 3 cities, and only have 10 days to do so.

It is simply not worth the time (though it is feasible enough) to train into a new city, and start walking around without a plan, looking for a place to stay. Maybe I'm missing something but it seems a waste of time when you don't even have two weeks total for your trip.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 04:35 PM

That said...

food and social life you can figure out after you arrive. Plenty of wiggle room there! No reason to pre-plan those, wanting to be fancy-free and all that!
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 04:43 PM

I think you also need to plan how you are getting from London to Amsterdam. If you wait, airfare could be very expensive. If you're not sure you want to go, then skip it, there's plenty to do and see in London and Paris.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 04:52 PM

as we said on the thread over on the United States forum - winging it can work sometimes. But in Places like London, Paris and A'dam you more likely will pay a premium for not booking. Either getting stuck in less than decent accomodations, or paying full rates.

Plus last minute intra-Europe train/plane fares are NOT cheap. Booking ahead you can often fly London to Amsterdam for not much more than the taxes. But walk up fares can be hundreds.

So while it may be romantic and adventurous to wing it - it is much more practical to plan ahead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -