San Candido, North Italy, base

Apr 11th, 2019, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

San Candido, North Italy, base

After my major holiday for 2019 (Switzerland in June), I have a short trip booked for North Italy in late September, early October.
I am travelling with my elderly mother (but fit and active) and we have an 8 night stay in San Candido (before heading towards Lake Garda). There are many pleasant walks, gorgeous lakes, charming towns, enough to keep us busy.
I just found out that we will be joined by family members travelling by car. So that changes things. I hadn’t considered venturing too far, as we planned bus or train travel. And I don’t actually know if we would be doing much driving, but if we were, what would you suggest?

(I had already planned the nearby lake walks, maybe Tre Cime loop walk, local walks between farms and villages, maybe a bus ride to Cortina, some bike riding.)

I have previously spent a week in Ortisei, and those narrow roads looked pretty nerve wracking from a bus.

Previously they were happy to do what we wanted, so don’t think they’ll be researching anything. I’d like to suggest sensible options. Not really long arduous driving.

Much obliged for any thoughts.
Apr 12th, 2019, 08:10 PM

You could train to Brunico. World-class mountaineer Reinhold Messner has created a museum in a medieval castle dedicated to mountain peoples and cultures from around the world. As we walked down the hill from the castle, we came upon a war memorial/cemetery dating from WWI when Brunico/Bruneck was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Immaculately maintained and a very moving scene.
Apr 13th, 2019, 02:29 AM

The other Messner museums in the area are:
Kronplatz: in Alta Badia, a few miles south of Bruneck.
Monte Rite: <a few miles south of Cortina d'Ampezzo.

Places to visit around Innichen/San Candido:
Lake Misurina
Drei Zinnen/Tre Cime del Lavaredo
Sexten and the Drei Zinnen Park
Antholzer See - Defereggen Valley
Lienz in Osttirol
Grossglockner road
WW1 sites along the Falzarego Pass road
Alta Badia
Langtauferer Valley
Apr 13th, 2019, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Jean, I had read of that museum some time ago when searching for towns to base in, and then forgot to note it, thank you for reminding me. Brunico looks a lovely town, too.

Neckervd, was wondering what the roads were like, given I have only looked for a loop drive on google maps...something like 1. Sesto, Auronzo, Misurina or 2. Cortina and Pieve Di Cadore (which looks distinctly more Italian, very keen to visit). Would these be a reasonable loop drive from San Candido?

(Langtauferer Valley looks a long way, I think we will pass through when we do our Scuol Müstair Mals bus trip in June.)

Thanks for your contributions.
Apr 13th, 2019, 05:45 AM

Langtauferertal:
you are right, it's between Weisseejoch (Kaunertal Glacier area) and Graun/Curon/Gruon in Alta Venosta/Obervinschgau.
I meant Ahrntal, just north of Bruneck/Brunico/Bornech, with the main village Sand in Taufers (reason for the confusion). Sorry!

Languages:
Innichen/San Candido is in the GERMAN speaking Pustertal/Val Pusteria.
IITALIAN is spoken south of the line Sexten/Sesto - Cortina d'Ampezzo - Arabba - Canazei - Karersee/Lago Carezza - Salurn/Salorno.
FURLAN is spoken east of Sappada (up to the border of Slovenia.
LADIN is spoken in Cortina d'Ampezzo, ALTA Badia and Val Gardena.
Only villages in the Italian and Furlan speaking areas look "typically Italian".
Apr 13th, 2019, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I chose San Candido partly as it is German speaking (my mother is from Chemnitz).

I was just searching Taufers because of the castle. That looks an easy drive.

Lots to experience in the area. Thanks.