Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

samiritaine (sp?) worth a visit or waste of time?

Old May 18th, 2001, 05:55 AM
xxx

is the departement store called samiritaine worth a visit for someone who is interested in fashion and house supplies (mailny kitchen)? if you have to chose between it and Bon marche, which would you pick?
thanks

Old May 18th, 2001, 06:07 AM

Samaritaine has more items than Bon Marche, but Bon Marche is more upscale (Think Nordstrom's versus Neiman Marcus). There's also a very interesting grocery store across the street from Bon Marche. If you're looking specifically for kitchen items, check out Gourmet magazine's recent issue on Paris -- it lists a bunch of great addresses in the 1st and 15th for finding kitchen supplies in Paris.

Old May 18th, 2001, 06:15 AM
Betsy

We didn't shop at La Samaritaine, but we went to the tippy-top and enjoyed an incredible view of Paris. There is an art noveau (or art deco--can never remember the difference) panorama there that is interesting in that it points out the sights of the city as they existed in the past. There's a little cafe up there where you can buy light snacks and sit at a table while enjoying the view.

Bon voyage

Old May 18th, 2001, 06:58 AM
elvira

La Samaritaine is a little more like Sears, with hard goods as well as soft goods, and the view from the rooftop cafeteria is terrific.

Le Bon Marche is like Neiman's in that it's soft goods, and very upscale.

If I want to buy a good leather purse, silk underwear or a cashmere sweater, le Bon Marche is my first stop (they have a good epicerie, too); if I need tea towels, cotton underwear, and a garlic press - and a nosh - I head for La Samaritaine. For hardware (drawer pulls, brass trims, blue enamel house numbers), BHV is my shopping choice. For professional cooking tools, Dehillerin - I mean, they got tart pans in every size imaginable. At les Trois Quartiers there's a good everyday kitchen store, mixture of tools and decorations.

If you have time for just one store, make it la Samaritaine or Galeries Lafayette or au Printemps - fashion and hard goods in one place.

Old May 18th, 2001, 07:39 AM
Ursula

For kitchen supplies: One place as Elvira mentioned: Dehillerin, 1st arr. Métro: Les Halles. Corner Rue J.J. Rousseau/Rue Rambuteau.
Le Bon Marché is my favourite department store in Paris for whatsoever, but especially lingerie.
Good shopping!

Old May 18th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Jean J.

La Samaritaine is worth seeing if you are in the area Pont Neuf. Also, at Christmas it has great elaborate animated displays with everything from kites flying, dolls having a chocolate as opposed to a tea party, scenes w/ stuffed bears etc. Re Bon Marche- One of their buildings is a gourmet food store with wonderful affordable cookies, crackers, snacks and candy that is not available in the states. They make great gifts if you don't get too tempted and eat it all yourself!

Old May 18th, 2001, 08:42 AM
zz-top

As did Betsy (see post further up), I too took advantage of the wonderful vista that's available from the top floor of Samartaine's --- you take elevator to top level (can't remember how high it is) and then think you may walk up one flight stairs to an outside cafe (light snacks available) and a delightful panoramic view of the city.

Old May 19th, 2001, 01:50 PM
e

Hi I agree with zz top and Betsy go to the roof for the view and cheap eats. Have Paris is wonderful.

Old May 19th, 2001, 01:57 PM
mariana

Yes, Samaritaine is the BEST place to go the first day in Paris...and for sure the first day, first time to Paris.What a wonderful orientation of the city from the 11th floor, ( I think). Take the highest possible on the elevator and walk up a flight, PLUS a tiny little circular staircase. But the 360degree view is spectacular. and the sights are marked in pictures on the circle. Is free and a must see. Don't know about the shopping, but don't think it is one of the top stores, though very large, and I think there are two or three buildings.

Old May 19th, 2001, 02:24 PM
Jim Rosenberg

There is little time wasted stopping by Samaritaine in any case, since it is so close to other attractions that you will undoubtedly by visiting. If you're looking for some accessories for your wine bar, you'll find some of those things there at a reasonable price, for example. By all means, give it a look and catch that view everyone here is telling you about, too! Happy Trails!

Old May 19th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Paula

Can you tell me what district Samaritaine is in--street name if you have it and what else it is close to? Do you know which Metro stop to take? Thank you! It sounds like a wonderful place!

Old May 19th, 2001, 07:41 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Paula, the address is: 19 Rue de la Monnai. The largest department store in Paris, the Samaritaine is actually located in three buildings: the Magasin Pricipal, or main store, a men's store and sports store. It's easy to find on the Louvre side near the Pont Neuf and across the street from La Seine river (the mens and sports stores have entrances on Rue de Rivoli, as well). Thanks to an excellent exchange rate during our most recent visit, we found the prices very reasonable and noticably less than what one would expect to find in a similar venue in the U.S. The store has everything you'd expect to find from apparel to shoes, appliances and even a couple of places to eat. It's a tourist magnet, of course, and you should pick up a map to find your way around(available in French or English). Good metro stops would be Pont-Neuf or Louvre-Rivoli. Don't expect the help to be very fast or helpful, if our experience is any indication -- we went through three sales clerks and about an hour trying to purchase two pair of shoes that were on display -- but if shopping is part of your Paris adventure, then this is probably a good stop in terms of pure selection and value. This is not a discount-type store, but there are plenty of sales, the store is attractively laid out, the merchandise is solid and the selection is great. (Before you buy anything that needs to be plugged in, do keep in mind that electrical appliances are generally not compatible with U.S. or Canadian power and the videos won't work either). This is also a place to look for unique gifts. As others have said, look for the coffee shop/cafe area upstairs with an outdoor deck that will give you wonderful (and photography platform) for some of the most famous sites of Paris. Happy Trails!

Old May 20th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Randall Smith

Since no one has mentioned Le Toupary, I guess I will. Has anyone eaten at the restaurant on the 5th floor? It has to be one of the best views in the city from a restaurant. We went there by chance after spending most of the day shopping, I believe it was in the early afternoon, we had a very good lunch and the view by the windows is magnificent. You have a great view of the Siene, the dome at Les Invalides, the Eiffel Tower etc. They have the mirrors set up as kind of a trompe d'oeil, and you can see two of everything from certain locations. It is a great way to pass a leisurely afternoon.

I think maybe the name is a French play on words since you can see "tout Paris" in the restaurant.

Check out the hardware in the basement,the home furnishings, and kitchen appliance area are awesome.

Ciao,

RJSmith

Old May 20th, 2001, 07:07 AM
Mary

Noone has mentioned that Samiritaine is a beautiful and historic art noveau buiding!(by the way the difference basically is curved lines for noveau and straight lines for deco).The cafe as mentioned is a great stop for lunch and they have a great bed and bath department.

Old May 20th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Ursula

Mary: Good point about mentioning the building itself.
Let me add this: Le Bon Marché is worth to be visited as well for the building.
Incidentally, it's the one and only Left Bank dept.store, the oldest in Paris, built by famous Gustave Eiffel (Eiffel Tower) and inspired Emile Zola to write a very successful book "Au Bonheur des Dames". $
But it hasn't a terrific panoramic terrace like La Samaritaine, that's true but very nice food halls "La Grande Epicerie".