Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Salzburg. Worth a stop? Need quaint hotel...

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are thinking of stopping in Salzburg for one night in early October. It looks ridicuously beautiful, but I have residual concern that its all VanTrappish, Mozart, Baroque stuffiness...and smothered by tourists..... Anyone been?

I am looking for a quaint small hotel/inn/pension in the Old Town, close to the river, pubs and walking distance to the sights. Would love a good view, too. Our idea of fun is strolling winding streets, people watching, checking a sight or two and lots of sitting in taverns.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks,

Brendan
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:11 AM

I was in Salzburg 2 weeks ago and it is (IMO) suffering from Mozartmania. Having said that I loved it and yes it is worth a visit.

If you like old winding streets Salzburg has them and they are lovely, even though the old shops that used to house small local shops have been taken over by the big stores (the signs in wrought iron are still there).

The Mirabell Gardens are gorgeous as is the Hohensalzburg Fortress.

If you like Mozart (as I do) go to a concert. I saw the Mariage of Figaro at the Festival Hall and it was wonderful - the best I have ever seen.

I personally loved the SoM tour as you get the true story of the family and also a history tour of the area.

My advice is yes go - loved it - Mozart, Van Trapp the lot.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:28 AM

We liked Salzburg (although we avoided the Sound of Music tour). However, if the weather's good, I would suggest visiting the Salzkammergut: lakes and mountains.

In Salzburg we stayed at the Blaue Gans, which was right on the main pedestrian street in the Old Town. This hotel was quite reasonable and very pleasant -- with a perfect location.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:55 AM

I was there at the end of July, and Salzburg is a wonderful city! It is small, easy to navigate and very walkable. Yes, it is ridiculously beautiful.

As another poster suggested, be sure to visit the Hohensalzburg fortress and the Mirabell gardens.

I found the entire city to be quaint and quite lovely, even with the Mozartmania. Surprsingly, except for advertising and pamphlets for the various SOM tours, the Von Trapp/SOM merchandising is kept to a minimum.

Can't comment on the weather or number of tourists in October, but I wouldn't hesitate to visit Salzburg again at any time.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:58 AM

We loved Salzburg and did find it to be ridiculously beautiful! We spent three nights in Old Town at The Elefant which is now owned / operated by Best Western. It suited our needs and we would stay there again.

http://www.elefant.at/
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 11:08 AM

We ate at the Elefant and then peeked into the lobby, which looked nice. I'd say that location would be great (as long as you don't mind crowded streets.) Make sure you try the Knokkerl there!

I'm working on my Salzburg pictures now and will post them soon. Stay tuned!
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 12:14 PM

You should have very nice weather in early October, compared with the hot and steamy days of the summer months.

Just off the main square is a coffee house where Mozart used to hang out. If you can get a table it's a good place to sit for a while and rest your weary feet.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 01:03 PM

In early October, Salzburg won't be nearly so "smothered by tourists" as in the summer. I think you will enjoy it.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

thank you all for your input!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

anyone got any hotel ideas?
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:47 AM

I've also stayed in the Elefant mentioned above and it has a good location in the Old Town and is in a 700+ year-old building. However, our toom there was the smallest I have EVER had in any European hotel anywhere and the "window" looked into an air shaft.

I'd consider staying again but would be more vocal about changing rooms next time!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 09:21 AM

I enjoyed Salzburg and it was beautiful, but don't expect some quaint undiscovered town because it is very very tourist-oriented. I love Mozart and that was important to me, to see his homes and where he lived, but if you didn't care about him so much, that wouldn't be of as much interest. I wouldn't call the town full of Baroque "stuffiness" (?? that's an unusual combination of words to me, as the Baroque period and style was looser, and showed more emotion than previous periods, certainly true in music).

I also stayed at the Elefant and loved it. It was moderate size, not small, and a great location, and traditional. My room was fairly large and I was alone. It was really a twin double room, I think (only twins were available, but it was larger than many double rooms I've had in Europe. Excellent bathroom!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 09:24 AM

I agree with the above. It certainly is a beautiful city, but its definitely discovered and can get quite crowded. I was there early in May of last year, before tourist season, and enjoyed it very much. But if you are looking for a quaint town, you may be dissapointed. In this case, I would consider looking at the countryside around Salzburg (Salzkammergut or Berchtesgaden).

Tracy
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 09:40 AM

We LOVE Salzburg! Been three times. Stayed at the Elefant about 15 yrs. ago. Is on a walking street, and a great location,(around the corner from Mozarts home) but NOT if you have a car. I guess there is a car park several blocks away. (this trip was by train). Last year with a car we stayed at a lovely hotel across the river, now a Best WEstern also, but renovated and had a nice car park in back. Gorgeous big organic buffet breakfast, and nice family managed.
Someone on Fodors was in Salzburg with their family last year and stayed in what sounded like a lovely small,quaint hotel close to old town and the river...but I cannot think of the name. You might do a search on Fodors ("Salzburg" trip report&quot or something.
The first time in Salzburg we had our two boys, aged 10,and 12...in the mid 70's. It s a nice town to walk the streets, clean, and beautiful and wonderful big portioned food!
Early Oct. should be lovely,,,and I'd like to go in the winter also. Apparently it is magical!
The Sound of Music van tour is,though maybe a tad hokey, wonderful. You see different places where filming took place, and there is a drive out to the beautiful countryside to Monsee to the church where the wedding took place. We drove out there on our own last year. Beautiful drive.!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Once you get past the Mozart candy (tasty), Mozart coffee mugs, Mozart pens, Mozart pencils, etc., you will find a city that is both beautiful and captivating. Salzburg will be celebrating the "year of Mozart" all through 2006 as it is the 250th anniversary of his birth, so the Mozart mania will be even greater than usual. It's ironic that Mozart is a major Salzburg industry, yet he felt restrained by Salzburg, couldn't wait to get out and had less than cordial relationships with the city fathers.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:45 AM

When you have finished touring the Hohensalzburg fortress there is a nice walk through the woods/forest to the Winkler Hotel. When you are in old town and look up at the fortress you can see both of these locations.

You might have to ask for the pathway directions, but it is just down a few steps from the funicular I think. Have done the walk a couple of times and it is very peaceful. At the Winkler you can have a nice dessert and coffee and look at the spectacular view of Salzburg from you perch up high.

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:14 AM

brendan,

We were in Salzburg in October several years ago, and had wonderful weather.

I agree with everyone that Salzburg is beautiful and fun.

We stayed at the Bristol and loved it. Our balcony had lots of blooming plants and great views.

I have to say that the Sound of Music tour was so much fun, even for old folks like us.

Check out the Bristol.

www.bristol-salzburg.at

Have a great trip.

Byrd

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Try Goldener Hirsch. Its in the old town and a very VERY charming area. Fabulous hosts, too. Our windows opended out to the flower/food market.

And, YES, its definately worth a stop!! One of our favorite european cities.

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:16 PM

If you are interested, I just posted my Salzburg pictures at:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34860714
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 08:42 PM

We think Salzburg is one of the best Erope has to offer, even if you have to put up with a few tourists, SOM and a heavy dose of Mozart. We have been back time and again and heartily agree it is worth the stop.

Two hotels we have stayed in in the Altstadt are the Goldenen Ente, a 6-700 year old building with quaint little rooms, curvy stairs and a nice little restaurant.

The other is the Weisses Kreuz, a family run hotel tucked under the edge of the plateau that the castles sits on. Friendly people, nice rooms and a very convenient location about a block from the Cathedral.

Both hotels fit your "small quaint hotel/inn/pension in the old town, close to the pubs and walking distance to the sights".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -