Salzburg/Vienna Neighborhoods to Stay In

Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:20 AM
lizbeth

Salzburg/Vienna Neighborhoods to Stay In

It is my understanding that the central city areas in both Vienna and Salzburg, though beautiful and atmospheric, tend to be more expensive in terms of accommodations (and more congested as well). Does anyone have recommendations for neighborhoods and hotels for either city which would be close to but not necessarily right in, the old city centers? I'd be looking for a 3-star or good pension. I'm an avid walker, and would appreciate lodgings that genuinely reflect the ambience of these Austrian cities rather than a luxury hotel with lots of 5-star features. Danke schon!

Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:10 AM
lizbeth

topping for me.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:06 AM
Linda

Two places in Vienna that I recommend: Hotelpension Arenberg is a 4* Best Western, but with posh Vienna feel. It is within the Ring, easy access to Air Terminal (where buses come from airport), the subway, and a 5-minute walk to Stephensplatz. There are pictures of Frau Arenberg with some of her famous guests. Breakfast is served but the muslei is home-made. The other is Hotel Drei Kronen, 3* and near the University. It is about an 8-10 minute walk to Opera. It has a good buffet breakfast and a nice open-air market across the street and grocery down the street. Both were in the $50 range in December 2000 for a single. Try nethotels.com for more information. Bitte!

Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:11 AM
Christina`

I've posted this several times in response to similar questions, perhaps you could search for "pension" in "austria" keyword? My recommendation was the 4-star Pension Museum in Vienna -- right near the main museums and City Hall, across from the VOlksopera metro stop, and in the Spittelberg neighborhood -- very convenient, close and pleasant (in fact, I preferred it to areas I saw in the inner ring), but cheaper. That's district 7, I think. URls etc were in prior posts.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:14 AM
zootsi

We were in both cities about 18 months ago. In Vienna we stayed at Pension Nosseck, a 2 * hotel on the Grabben. This is a very desirable area to be in, it's the heart of the old city, on a pedestrian plaza. The room was about $85 for two. It was a clean, spacious room. In Salzburg we stayed at the Golden Krone, which was also in a very good area, on a pedestrian street about 5 minutes walk from the old city. The rooms here were also spacious and clean and ran about the same price.