Salzburg via Munich

Nov 7th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Salzburg via Munich

I'm heading for Salzburg but it is so expensive to fly directly there I thought I would fly to Munich & take the train. Can you get the train right at the airport or do I need a connector train? How much of a hassle is this? Any other suggestions?
Nov 7th, 2010, 10:33 AM

- Buy ticket at airport
- Board S8 train
- Change trains at "München Ost" station, other platform, use underpass, elevator exists!
Nov 7th, 2010, 11:19 AM
J62

check www.bahn.de for schedules.
Nov 7th, 2010, 06:00 PM

Assuggested, go to www.bahn.de; pick English language version.

Enter < Muenchen Flughafen> or and Will tell you to take S8 to Muenchen-Ost/Munich-East station and change trains there. Will give platforms on which tains arrive and depart.

Bu Bayernkarte/Bavarian ticket, a heavily discounted day ticketat airport.

Cost EUR22 solo, EUR28 for up to 5 people travelling on the same ticket.

Limitations: Travel only after 9AM on weekdays; no limit on weekends. Can travel only on REGIO/REGIO EXPRESS trains. No IC, EC. ICE trains. On this short run makes only difference of less than half hour.
Nov 7th, 2010, 10:15 PM

2 years ago we flew into Munich and took a shuttle to Salzburg. You should be able to goggle and find them. They have vans leaving during the day-I think the drive was about an hour and a half and they dropped us at our hotel in the old section of Salzburg. After getting off a long international flight, the shuttle was easiest way to get to Salzburg.
Nov 7th, 2010, 10:21 PM

I think this is company we used. I emailed with them and got reservations. Very easy and convenient after you get off the plane.

http://www.salzburgermietwagenservice.at/index_e.php
Nov 10th, 2010, 05:00 AM

I have used Salzburger Meitwagen several times with good results and would also recommend them as an alternative to the train.
Nov 13th, 2010, 08:56 AM

When are you going and how long are you staying? The train from Munich runs from the Hauptbahnhof in the middle of Munich (the airport is 45 minutes away by s-bahn). If time permits you might want to take a quick swing through Munich if you haven't been there before as you make your way.