Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   salzburg to prague (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/salzburg-to-prague-499264/)

travelfans Jan 28th, 2005 12:30 PM

salzburg to prague

Has anyone either taken the train,or driven between the 2 cities? Ay info would be helpful.

bobthenavigator Jan 28th, 2005 12:41 PM

Yes, we drove in 1999 and stopped for the nite in Cesky Krumlov. Be careful about car rentals into CZ.

PalQ Jan 28th, 2005 12:44 PM

Done both. Rail route goes Salzburg to Linz (1.25 hr) then Linz-Praha (4.5 hr) one daily direct train; 5.5 hrs on several other links that require a change of trains at Summerau and Ceske Budejovice, from one platform to another. Lv Linz 7:35 9:356 11:35 ar 5.5 hrs later. Drove too long ago to remember but do remember it was during the Communist era and we waited for customs control at least two hours at border as they inspect the whole line of cars and trucks laboriously at once before clearing them all. suppose border is a snap now. But still check you car rental to see if you can take into Czech Republic.

humanone Oct 20th, 2007 08:07 AM

I have been speaking to Auto Europe about renting a car in Germany or Austria to drive to Prague and they could only find one company that would allow that, and only with an extra $400 drop-off-in-Eastern-Europe charge. So I will take the train Linz to Prague.

ira Oct 21st, 2007 10:12 AM

Hi T,

Train schedules are at www.bahn.de

((I))

roussillon Oct 21st, 2007 11:23 AM

Just recently took the train from Salzburg to Vienna, spent a few days with friends, then took the train from Vienna (Westbahnhof) to Prague.

Here are some comments:

There are hourly trains from Salzburg to Vienna, and they are wonderful. Just make sure that the seat you sit in is not reserved. There was a little electric screen on the luggage rack and it said the cities for which the seat was reserved...or had nothing. I had to move once as I did not check above my head. It was 2nd class and totally comfortable.

Trip from Vienna to Prague was lovely, about 4 hours, with passport control on the train. Train we wanted was sold out, so booked a later one. Only issue was that we arrived in the Prague Kosinice(sp?) station, which was not the main railway station. No problem getting money from an ATM there, and then looking how to get to our hotel. There is a MacDonald's above the station , and it was handy for a brief break, as the Tourist Info Office was CLOSED for the weekend. Weird, but we asked the clerk at the nearby subway station, and he said to take the underground two stops, which was a 5 min walk to the Hilton.

I highly recommend the train, and also a stopover in Vienna.

Driving could also be interesting, but if you want to be in the city centers, then I would go by train.

Gute Reise, Rouss

WTnow Oct 22nd, 2007 09:10 AM

We just drove this and had no troubles. We stopped at Cesky Kumluv for a few hours but then headed on.

We drove right into Prague with our motorhome with no problem. Loved Salzburg and Prague and enjoyed the drive. No border stuff now, took seconds.

www.soultravelers3.com

Then we drove from Prague to Vienna and enjoyed that drive.

Salzburg is up on the blog, but the rest is not quite yet ( we are in Florence now).