COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Salzburg to HallStatt by Train & Aug weather

Old Jun 28th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

I'm planning to visit HallStatt in early August. I've booked 1 night at Hallstatt but now considering extend another night in Salzburg and make a day trip to Hallstatt. Our next destination would be driving to Venice. The reason I'm considering HallStatt day trip from Salzburg because I'm afraid the weather might be bad on the day we stay at HallStatt. We're planning to stay in Salzburg 3 nights. If we make it 4-nights in Salzburg, then we can pick any day to visit HallStatt, either by renting a car or by train. Any suggestion? With the train,there is no direct connection. With the bus tour from Salzburg, I think it's expensive for 3 person. With the 1-night option in Hallstatt, we're risking bad weather on the day we stay at HallStatt, but it will shorten the trip to Venice.
Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 10:05 AM
ira

Hi E,

If you do H as a daytrip from S, you won't be loaded with luggage, so having to change trains won;t be a problem.

It is very, very difficult to find parking in H.

Old Jun 28th, 2008, 11:02 AM

I say stay put in Salzburg and make Hallstatt a day trip. I would think that would make better use of your time.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advise. I've looked at the train schedule from Salzburg to Hallstatt, but not sure if I understand it. Anybody has done this trip before by train? Do I need to buy ticket ahead of just show up at the train station? You guys are great, I really love this forum.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 04:32 PM

I rarely buy a ticket beforehand in Germany, but maybe someone else has different advice.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 06:42 PM

Hi europenut, I am no expert but have been doing similar research for our trip next year.
If you ook at the www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp site and put in Salzburg to Hallstatt for any particular day and just say leaving at 8.00am it will bring up a page with all the different connections. You can then tick one or more connections in the box on the left next to your choice, below this is "details for your selection" or "details for all", click on either of these then it gives you another window and if you scroll down about halfway it will you see the full trip. You can also click on "show intermediate stops" and you get the full trip with all stops. Hope this makes some sort of sense.
For example if you pick a Monday you can get a bus from Salzburg Mirabell Platz to Bad Ischl change to the train and continue to Hallstatt, total journey time is 2.08 hrs. Or leave at 9.19 similar journey but takes 2.29 hrs. I have spent hours playing around, its the only way to really get the hang of it.

Also I understand that if there is more than one of you traveling you can buy a 1-PLUS-Freizeitticket, the details are on the same site on the left under Travelling Cheaper, look under Groups. I believe if you buy a ticket for 1 person at say €10, you pay an extra €1 for the first person
and then the second person for half fare ie €5. I hope this is correct but that is my understanding of it. Maybe some one else can confirm this?
Best wishes for a great trip.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your tips and the link. I've been looking at the train schedule in German and had to translate it to English. Also did not know about the "Plus" ticket.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 09:24 AM

Hallstatt is tiny, and tends to be overrun with busloads of day-trippers during the day.

I highly suggest staying overnight there-it's lovely and peaceful after the day-trippers leave!

The train is no problem. You'll have to change trains at a tiny station, very simple, and when you get to Hallstatt, a ferry meets every train to take passengers across the lake to Hallstatt-a lovely way to arrive. Enjoy!

~Liz

Old Jun 29th, 2008, 09:25 AM

Oh, and forgot to mention that the scenery from the train between Salzburg and Hallstatt is wonderful!