Salzburg/Sound of Music

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 12:18 AM
Raven

Salzburg/Sound of Music

Will be visiting Salzburg this summer and just have to fulfill childhood dream of seeing that castle where the Baron and his children lived. Can somebody tell me the name of the place. Read it somewhere but can't remember the name. Thanks!

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 06:02 AM
Mary Ann

Sounds like you need the Sound Of Music tour. All the locations in the Movie are spread out. The church where they were married, the house where they ended up in the water, the Gazebo is near by, etc. The tour sounds hokey but it is fun. Do a search, I think there were several commenters on the pros and cons of the tour. We did it and the apple strudel break by the church was wonderful! and we did enjoy the tour.

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 11:39 AM
Doug

The Sound of Music Tours leave from the Mirabell Palace on "other side" of the river in Salzburg. Bob's Sound of Music Tour is the best. It's a bit expensive at $20 per person, but alot of fun too. The following website might be of interest to you : http://travel.yahoo.com/Destinations...ties/Salzburg/

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 04:08 PM
jean

Not to burst your bubble but I took the sound of music tour. Enjoy your memories of the movie,they are the only thing that will be left that is real to you. It's the no Santa, no tooth fairy syndrome!!

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 01:09 AM
Silvia Rotheimer

Hello from Vienna!
I think you mean Schloss Mirabell.
Salzburg is a beautiful city and I am sure you will enjoy it.
Best regards from Austria
Silvia

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 06:54 AM
mary

Hi Raven: What a treat you have in store!! Salzburg is heaven on earth (at least)!! The Sound of Music family home (in the movie) is actually three places (according to Rick Steves' Travels in Europe). The back of the house, where the gazebo was shown, is one lovely place on a small lake. The gazebo has been moved someplace else,but the tours will take you there for a "photo op." The second house used is a short distance away and is called the Castle Thornburg. Thirdly, many of the "Von Trapp Home" scenes were done on locations at Hollywood, London, and Vienna. I visited Austria in October with Globus Tours -- it was utterly glorious. They engage a city tour guide who is an expert in that city, and that is the tour I took. The locales shown in The Sound of Music are included, as well as other important and gorgeous spots, such as the very impressive cathedral, where you can hear magnificent music at the 10 o'clock mass on Sunday. Just walking up and down the charming little streets was a joy, stopping for lunch in a little restaurant upstairs in one of the buildings -- I wish I were going back!! Bon voyage.

Old May 19th, 2003, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topping - somebody asked for "sound of music" locations.