Salzburg/Salzkammergut questions

Nov 29th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Salzburg/Salzkammergut questions

My husband and I have decided to visit Austria this summer(mid June) Initially, I researched village to village hikes with luggage transport. However, nothing impressed me much- either the hikes were too short, or I didn't like the half board, etc . We did this last year in Switzerland, and I was not happy with half board (being a non-meat eater). I think we could base out of St Wolfgang or St Gilgen and take boats/buses to villages and do day hikes...the area doesn't appear to be too spread out. Is bus service frequent/easy like Switzerland? For the last 2 days, we will stay in the city and visit the sites there. I welcome any opinions, especially from hikers! Anyone have a suggestion of a quaint family run inn on a lake?
Nov 29th, 2006, 06:07 AM
ira

Hi LL,

If you look up St. Gilgen,St. Wolfgang and Hallstatt in the "Search this Forum" box you will find a number of recommendations for accomodations.

Nov 29th, 2006, 06:21 AM
kdcwood

Hi Linda,

I think you have picked a lovely area to visit, especially for hiking.

Our family spent two weeks in St. Gilgen in July 2005 and loved it. (We are big hikers and have done several inn-to-inn long-distance walks in Europe.) We rented a small apartment and this worked well for us. I think St. Gilgen is a better base than St. Wolfgang since it has better access by road.

You can get a map of hikes from the Tourist Office in St. Gilgen. We hiked on the Zwolferhorn (the mountain just behind St. Gilgen). We also did a hike around the lake to St. Wolfgang (took the boat back). There is also very good hiking on the Schafberg, though we chose that day to take the little train up and back.

We especially enjoyed hiking at the Postalm, which is a high meadow about 30 minutes drive from St. Gilgen.

We had a car during our two weeks. I saw buses, but my sense is that the schedule is more limited than what we have seen in Switzerland with the post buses. A car would give you lots more flexibility. You could also drive to Berchtesgaden in Germany and there is some wonderful hiking there, especially around Lake Konigsee.

St. Gilgen is just a 30 minute drive to Salzburg. We did a couple of day trips in to Salzburg and easily parked in a garage on the Linzergasse. We have stayed in Salzburg several times, and driving in from St. Gilgen worked very well for us on this trip.

I think you would enjoy my blog (trip report) of our two weeks in St. Gilgen. http://www.slowtrav.com/blog/kaydee/...es/000927.html This does include details of our hiking, and there is a link to a photo album.

Kathy

Nov 29th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Kathy, in fact I had already read your article! After we had a wreck in South Africa, my husband prefers taking buses and trains! I will do a bit of research on the buses before we totally rule that out. Is there a pass such as the Swiss pass which allows you to jump on and off buses and boats? Ira, I just did a search and came up with some great ideas. Someone suggested the Gasthof Furberg which looks gorgeous. I think it will break down to Hallstatt=2 nights, St Gilgen=5 nights, Salzburg=2 nights. I just bought "Sound of Music" and "Amadeus" and am getting really excited, LOL!
Nov 29th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

On second thought, I think we'll just park at the Hotel Billroth for a week. That place looks amazing and gets perfect reviews from tripadvisor members.
Nov 29th, 2006, 09:04 AM

I've ridden buses in this area and they are very frequent and Swiss-like - not sure about passes but were very cheap.

I went Salzburg-St gilgen boat to St Wolfgang bus to Bad Ischl then train to Halstatt.
Nov 29th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob! For some reason, I'm having lots of trouble finding transportation info...grrr. Did you just hop on a bus and pay then?
Feb 14th, 2007, 05:54 PM

In May of 2004 I visited our daughter who was studying in Salzburg. On a beautiful, warm day (it had snowed 2 days before!) I took the Postbus from the train station in Salzburg to Bad Ischl. After a few hours there, I took the Postbus to St. Gilgen. From there, the last boat over to St. Wolfgang, which was a beautiful trip. From there, the bus back to Fuschl, where we transferred to a bus back to Salzburg. the bus service was fantastic!
Our favorite place in the Salzkammergut is Hallstatt. My husband and I stayed in a village outside of Hallstatt at Gastehaus Gaby Binder, in Obertraun. It has a view of the lake, is surrounded by mountains, and the visit was wonderful. Gaby and her husband were wonderful hosts. They speak only German (which we speak also), and had other guests there who spoke English, which helped the non-German speaking. I know the train goes to Hallstatt. Not sure how to get over to Gaby's if you don't have a car--there is probably a local bus. e-mail, back in 2004, was [email protected], and try www.members.aon.at/hausbinder. Phone is 4306131/319. I took a dip in the icy cold lake, and it was refreshing!
The ice caves there are a fabulous hike and trip thru the caverns. Once again, I am not sure of the logistics of getting there by public transportation. We were there during the second week in June, and had the luck to see a festival called "Fronleichnam". It is a procession which honors the dead, with singing, prayers, a band, and a wonderful boat parade.

In St. Gilgen, we stayed at Pension Seeblick, www.pensionseeblick.de with a beautiful view of the lake, and walk to downtown. Rent a electric boat for a calming trip around the lake. The local "Heimatmuseum" there is also interesting.
Feb 14th, 2007, 06:29 PM

Correction to previous post, the correct website address is: pensionseeblick.at
Feb 15th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all your wonderful responses! We have decided to get a car so that we can fully enjoy everything. At this point, we are considering the Gasthof Furberg as a base. Secluded, but close to everything. We plan on spending 5 nights there and 5 nights in another area. The Tyrol? I'm looking for another beautiful base with great sightseeing and hiking. This is difficult because it's such an ugly country. HA HA!! Everything there is gorgeous, picking 2 areas is torture. Please keep those ideas coming in ...bless you!

Search this Thread